Intel Haswell-E X99 Chipset Details And Launch Time

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2014.

1. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Ooops posted in error!

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Only upgraded my X58 rig cos the current one came along at a decent price.

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    i actually agree with this, and i do not understand why people view mantle as the holy grail especially with the new direct3d around the corner.
    i respect amd for doing it. microsoft would have probably sat on their asses a few years more if amd wouldn't have pushed this initiative forward. but mantle will likely be short lived.

as you said, mandle requires more work, and we don't yet know if nvidia cards support it properly. and it will likely require new drivers, which we don't know if nvidia is willing to do. direct3d 12 will almost surely be a superset of the existing direct3d, which will make development much more streamlined. it makes more sense for developers to hop into the next direct3d.

alas, we will see.

4. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    There is no way Mantle will be short lived. Not with both consoles sporting AMD.

It will be around for quite a long time. That does not mean it will be used by everyone, sort of like Glide for 3Dfx.

Not everybody owned a Voodoo from 3Dfx, but Glide hung around till 3Dfx was no more, and people still use Glide wrappers today.

Short lived and uber popular are two very different things.

In other words, anybody on an AMD card with GCN that can take advantage of and use Mantle should and will. That's a lot more than you think.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i really do love x58 because although its old it still does a great job.

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    And far more flexible OCing.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    What's the score with x79 oc then, not as flexible to tweak which could help in a more successful oc,x58 better then from the users perspective?

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Exactly. Main thing being you can tweak the BClock without mucking with the PCIe/SATA clocks, allowing for more RAM/CPU options than 100, 125 or 166 x Multi. Can't even touch BCLK on my X79 otherwise my soundcard (firewire) stops working.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I see, im gonna put mine together so i think in maybe couple months when i get some time off.

10. kenoh

kenoh Active Member

GPU:
    TitanXP 2.1GHz
    8 core Haswell

I don't know if I'm going to update? I tried holding out but I bite and got a i7 4930k for $430 from best buy!

I may just wait till Broadwell Extreme next year as I hear they may be releasing earlier then usual as there already information coming out about the Extreme series and Xeons? By then the TDP should be tamed and but I don't expect better overclockability just less heat!

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    This is in your case, ( maybe due to this specific soundcard ) because you can fine tunning antything in the x79 .. mhz / mhz on the bcklock, ram etc..(0,1 / 0,1 ) .... I find it really more close of the 1366 era or even more oldschool overclocking,.... there's still some fine voltage tunning for cpu and ram that i have absolutely no idea of the impact when use them.. The thing is you dont really need all of what is present in the bios... untill you want beat some ram mhz record.

Anyway i dont use the strap method, but direct bclock + multi with setting directly my ram speed as i intend.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    It probably is. Can't get bootstraps running at all. I just find it a bit of a bummer that everything is tied to BCLK, X58 (and all current AMD microarchitectures), have multiple clock domains so you can fiddle to your hearts content, up CPU and RAM (and even uncore with my old westmere chip) while leaving PCIe, SATA and everything else where it should be at 100 MHz or multiples thereof.

13. 0655

0655 Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE
  14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
  15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    5930 here I come.

16. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I think the price point @ eta will be in line with with the 980x when it was released.

Well hopefully not but i have a feeling the 8c will be $999+ and the 6c $700+.