Intel Haswell-E X99 Chipset Details And Launch Time

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    Oh, ok. I thought Haswell-E would be designated x89 not x99, although x99 does make more sense. It'll soon be time to retire my Asus Rampage 2 Extreme (x58 northwood motherboard) and this new chipset is The One. hallelujah! Praise Intel.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    That will never happen, not at that price. Would be nice though..

Also doubt about locked models, i7-E series was always unlocked, except i7-3820 model half-way and it priced the same like 4820K now.

Imo with 8 core (3ghz @ 140w) 1Ghz OC gap should be possible, we're looking at avg 4-4.2ghz OC at best, maaaaybe 4.5ghz, but that will be uber hot for sure.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That's why I started my post with the word, "IF". I said earlier I'm not holding my breath.

If I go with a X99 system I would wait for the 5970k most likely.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    think this will be my next upgrade. no more quads for me

5. demon-eyez

demon-eyez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
    Hi, been lurking on the site since 2010 but no more.

So, if there is gonna be a 2011-3 version, does that mean x79 boards will support these new version of the 5900 series?

I mean it would help if they are gonna be pricey. Buy the CPU first, enjoy it in the x79 board, albeit a bit crippled, then get a new board later on and DDR4 that is also sure to be pricey.

I just got into the Enthusiasts class with my 4930k and that newer Asus x79 DELUXE just last Nov so would be happy to keep it a bit longer.

Thank you.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hi,

No, sadly Haswell-E will be X99 exclusive since its DDR4

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Haswell-E CPUs are keyed differently. They wouldn't fit in the X79 motherboard anyways.

8. demon-eyez

demon-eyez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
    I thought there was two different variants of the chips and that DDR4 was compatible with DDR3 slots. Or did I see it wrong? If so they should have used a different socket name instead of 2011-3. It's miss-leading, a bit. Kind of feels like we are still at the same level (2011 version 3 ^^).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Max 4 DIMM slots as well, one per channel, though expect higher density DIMMs.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    In all honesty that's all you need. Anywhere from 8GB (4x2GB) to 32GB (4x8GB). And who knows DDR4 may bring 16GB DIMM's.

11. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Could it finally be time to upgrade from my trusty 2500k? I will wait for some performance reviews of them 6 cores first :3

12. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Yes, I'm definitely looking to upgrade from SB this year. Will be watching this closely. Hopefully it will provide a reasonable performance boost!

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    You saw it wrong.

14. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Whelp, that's my next platform then. I'll miss you good old X58 chipset based gaming rig, but you are well past your prime and it's time to put you out to pasture. Six rocking cores and quad-channel DDR4 new-hotness and dual x16 PCIe 3.0 slots and all the USB 3.0 and SATA III that I could ever want, here I come. Thank you Intel, thank you very many dollars.

http://blogimages.thescore.com/nhl/files/2013/06/Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

15. Noufel

Noufel Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    saving mode activated , time to upgrade my 8320

16. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Actually it was AMD who said they're dropping out of the super high end market because they couldn't compete. So yea, we know what AMD can bring.

Nothing.

An APU for 4k gaming? Huh? Last I checked, the fastest APU made by AMD is in the PS4, and it can barely run 1080p/30 and on rare occasions 1080p/60.

It runs good on a very specific specialized HSA demo which is designed to show HSA in the best light possible. When I see big gains across the board in a benchmark suite, then i'll agree with you.

The words "cpu" and "futureproof" should never be used in the same sentence. It's almost like you're grasping at anything to make those chips look good. The fact is AMD's current chips are turds. And you're trying to polish it. ;)

I've been running my i7-860 that I paid $200 for almost 4 years ago and it runs any modern game just fine. This is not unique to the FX8350.

I still don't see a reason for me to upgrade. Perhaps for Broadwell. I dunno. It would be nice to have a proper modern graphical bios.

As for DDR4, they should provide up to 50% bonus in bandwidth, 20% decrease in power consumption and mass production price should be around 20% higher than DDR3. I would rather go for HBM which costs twice as much but delivers much higher bandwidth.

I've said it once and i'll continue saying that Mantle will be a short lived APU. It takes a lot of additional work to add mantle to a game, just look at Battlefield 4's extra 3 months. Also, the only way mantle will be used is if AMD pays the developer to add it on because no dev is going to spend an additional few months adding a feature for free, that is only usable on a fraction of 1% of graphics cards on the market. AMD's only got 34% of the discrete graphics market and mantle is limited to only a few cards.

With the coming release of DX12 which will add many performance enhancing features like low level support, you can expect mantle to die off because DirectX is universal to the windows platform.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    EDIT: Whoops, replied to the last reply but on the wrong page. :p

18. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    Isn't it possible, or even likely, that the pricing will be in line with the current ivb-e and previous sb-e variants?

IE the cheapest one is 6 core, then there are two 8 cores one k and one x? Meaning that the 8 core would actually be around £400-£450, in the k variant?

If so, this will be a *huge* boost to single socket workstations which previously had to choose between 6 cores at ~4.5ghz + OR 8 core for 4Ghz @ £1500+ (presuming multicore enhancement features on the mobo).

Added to which, the server platforms really do hang around for a while. X79 was a bit gimped thanks to those SATA issues, and the lack of native USB3 has been a problem for a while. Presuming X99 has all the features listed, this looks like a platform that is worth front-loading on. It really can't come soon enough!

CDJay

19. demon-eyez

demon-eyez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
    I hope too that this (with the other news of Intel seeking to support desktop PCs more) it means that we will be seeing a six core 6770k. If so I am going back from High end to Top main stream. I really loved that 4770k I had before the 4930k.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Tbh for gaming all you need is quad core and decent gpu, you will be able to max out anygame. It is nice however to have a 6/8 core, cant see many games using the extra cores if im honest but still nice to have. I have the 4930k ready but if i didnt have one of those id definitely get an X99 coming from X58. Tbh even a 980x on X58 is still a badass 6 core chip. Ill probably give X99 a miss however.:)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014