Titanfall 48GB PC Install Explained

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For those of you wondering why the PC version of Titanfall has a 48GB install (compared to 16GB on the Xbox One), here is your answer....

Titanfall 48GB PC Install Explained

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    yeah, ridiculous.

3. benq

benq Guest

GPU:
    if you lost your DVD and have very low download speed (660KB/s) you must be 1 year downloading the game :)

4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    48gb of quality ssd space costs more than the retail price of the game itself, and i'm not talking about cheap key site prices either.

they done it so lower end rigs can join in the fun, at the expense of us on the higher rigs.
    gimme 35gb of hd textures instead or forget about it.

5. benq

benq Guest

GPU:

I just mean if you have very low download speed and you bought it from steam or whatever you'll be an eternity to get it :(

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    While they should offer both options in some way (DLC?), me and many others have been pining for games to have better and better audio. Uncompressed is the way to go and even though I have a slow connection, it's alright with me.

Games like Far Cry 3, that have arguably huge game potential, are marred by subpar audio that is so compressed it's ridiculous. It just ends up sounding bland and lifeless.

Games like BioShock Infinite have great audio but the stereo separation in BioShock is a bit weird.

7. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    for sure, ideally you'd be after the dvd version like me though personally i'm just gonna stick with good ol' bf4.
    if it had a campaign however ..or perhaps the option to join low populated servers without the bots getting in the way if you want to play less frantic style.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Solution:
    When you install, have the installer detect the machine. If it is low end, automatically select the option for the decompressed audio, if on a typical machine, leave it compressed.

It is ludicrous that they even contemplating this as a suitable option for everyone. Also, those on a low end machine that may benefit from this also probably doesn't have huge amounts of disk space spare either, not to mention the fact that more data has to be loaded off the disk, most likely an older, slower, mechanical disk that probably hasn't been defragmented...

How much CPU does playing a MP3 use anyway (without audio enhancements)? With audio enhancements, you have to consider that they are also applied to the uncompressed audio anyway.

Pure idiocy.

9. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Blame windows for stupid software audio decoding [​IMG] and that is with just 1 audio at a time, 4% for what ?!? something that could be done with 0%

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So those poor people with low end machines not only have troubles playing game, they have very long loading times too. (messing up loading times for people with SSD in process too)
    And that all for nothing. As there are light weight, royalty free codecs which would give decent file size without hindering CPU.

Now if such developer is not hypocritical and would like to help gamers they would push M$ to give back proper HW audio acceleration model instead of promoting D/A converters which calls themselves sound cards these days.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Agreed. Total lunacy.

12. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 DOC
    I can't imagine Core 2 Duo's having problems decompressing audio files. And a 8800GT on dx11?

13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If it takes so long to decompress audio files, its a huge failure on engine side.
    Even weak CPU can decompress lots of sounds on "source engine" without any lags.

It just doesn't make any sense. Either developers have no idea what they doing or there huge problems with engine itself, which cannot be fixed.

14. Dexirexi

Dexirexi Member

GPU:
    eVga GTX 770SC w/ ACX
    Am i the only one to notice that it requires a min VGA: 8800gt and a min DirectX: DX11 :D I've never seen an 8800 with DX11 :D

15. Kevin cobley

Kevin cobley Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070
    Specs for new games should just be tightened and just develop games to run on decent hardware a minimum spec of an 8800 GT (a 6 year old low end card).

Minimum specs for all new PC games should be 4 core i7 or i5 machines(AMD equiv), GTX460 graphics (AMD Equiv), 8G DDR and 64bit Vista and above operating system.

Designing games to run on both state of the art and obsolete/office machines is an absurd idea, let the low end guys by an Xbox.

Not buying this game always hated mech games. It's going to take half my monthly download allowance.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

16. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    this is the first time where i have seen audio outweigh textures ...OMG!

anyway, couldnt they have transferred mp3 or aac or whatever compressed format, and an encoder where the compressed was converted to wav(?) or what ever?

17. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    how about you buy me a new pc? either that or just PISS off back to your little dream world :biggun:

18. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Wasn't Star Wars The Old Republic the same? huge audio files because of the massive amount of voice acting.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The only audio files needed for an fps (which is what this is) are the classic quake sounds like "headshot" "godlike" etc.

Why the need to have ludircris audio on a crosshairs game is beyond me.

20. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    wow dude, that was like 9 years ago, i was on my geforce 4 mx 440 PCI card and a cellly 1.3ghz with 515MB RAM and 20GB HDD

OMG AAAAAAA thsoe were the days.

i d remember unreal torunement 3 ( i think) on 5 or 7 cds?

EDIT: Oops wrong star wars game. anyway, compression is paramaount,and considering HE-AAC v2 can do some amazing stuff and really low bitrates, the technology should be used to compress the fook out of the audio.

but never blame compressed audio for low quality. the codec should be used in the right manner and the source audio should be good to begin with.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014