Gigabyte releases LGA2011 Motherboard with 10 Gbps Ethernet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Great for server/workstation stuff, maybe mining if you team it up with the right GPUs and one of those 15-core IB-E CPUs

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Seems like a real waste for mining. I never checked CPU results but I get the impression AMD would make much better mining CPUs.

Considering the 14 SATA ports and the 10Gb/s ethernet, I would think this board is much more worth the money for data related tasks.

Seeing the 10Gb/s Ethernet is exciting to me though - it'll only be a matter of time until we can make our own external RAM drive computers.

4. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Now we just need Ethernet SSD's.

j/k

5. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    Fiber channel on an ATX tower...hmmmm

Though...who's home network is fiber? Most small businesses won't even be able to use that I wouldn't think. Maybe it's a sign of things to come in the home? That would be freakin sweet.

Or...hook it directly to the FIOS ONT (or other fiber providers) box instead of terminating to copper and just use that as your router? Now we're talking.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Fiber? Who said this was fiber? But yes, it would be nice if we'd move up to that. I feel like there should be a transitional stage where a single Ethernet cord can be both fiber and copper. It could definitely be done, it just means slightly thicker cords. The copper part would basically be for backward compatibility.

7. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    If you check out the pic you'll see the 10g port (the smaller black square). It's actually an SFP port which accepts a fiber channel connector. I don't recall if SFP modules accept a 10 gig ethernet connection since it's pretty expensive to run (cable cost and power cost). I may be wrong.

Still...fiber in the house would be so awesome. Just need better raid controllers...and drives that aren't super old!

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    my isp has been offering fiber for a long time. it's actually standard in my country. or maybe i didn't understand your statement?

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol my home wired network is still 100Mbps thanks to my router

10. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    i feel ya. next thing i'm getting is a good gigabit router and a gigabit connection. the connection itself is ridiculously cheap in romania. ~12 euros per month.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, the only reason I haven't upgraded the router is it runs DD-WRT and works great for everything I need, Samba NAS for streaming over WiFI etc

I have a 75Mbps WAN, so if my ISP upgrade me any further I;ll have to buy a gigabit router

12. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    Sorry, should have clarified. I meant fiber within your home network. The connections going from your router to your computer, not from the ISP to their box.

I would love an affordable fiber network within the house (and NICs that support it). While it's not frequent, I still have trouble streaming while doing other things on the same box...usually downloading. I'm going to bond the two NICs on my box to see if that helps the bandwidth issues but I have a feeling the switch won't be able to handle it. Also, the drives I use are old and probably smell bad. I need to replace them :(

edit: should note the box is running centos. hooray easy nic aggregation!

13. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    oh, you mean instead of the cat5 cable? well a cat5 cable can carry 1gbps of traffic, and we also have the cat6 carrying 10 gbps iirc.
    i read some time ago that 10gbps is the current throughput limit of 'electrical' cables, and we haven't reached the limit of fiber optics yet. maybe once 10 gbps connections will start arising in home networks, the industry will shift fully towards fiber optics. it's simply so much better not only through bandwidth, but also through the distance it can carry that bandwidth.