South Park: The Stick of Truth

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by dark_surge, Mar 3, 2014.

1. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Thanks that's what his mum said and to not even mention it to him lol...

2. WildAce

WildAce Guest

GPU:
    3x 4GB AMD 290's
  3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I cannot stop laughing! This is the greatest movie/TV based game EVER! It helps that I love South Park but that just proves that this game is great! As a huge fan I had high expectations and they are being greatly exceeded.

If you are playing censored (lame) you should find a way to get the uncensored version. You probably know how and you already bought it, so... I hear that the game makers mock the censorship within the game (while playing), is that true? If so, this title is even more EPIC!

btw - how could anyone NOT pick "Jew" class? I mean, COME ON! Jew class!? Hell yeah! :nerd:

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Obsidian worked side by side with South Park Studios and Matt and Trey to make this.
    They had full access to the shows assets and the programs they use to make the show.
    So, it is literally the show... made into a game.

And, I'm having a blast. Just finished the first day, easily five hours of play... a lot of it just walking around the town, going in houses, stores and any place I could find.
    And... opened the door to one house, was not expecting full frontal female nudity.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    So it doesn't look exactly like the cartoon then?

I don't have the game yet (PC version) but TotalBiscuit's WTF is... video showed that the game has no graphics options other than resolution because it is, unsurprisingly, 2D. Given that the assets are also 2D it is baffling that the cutscenes are not also running in 2D on the engine. It is hardly a demanding game and the transition from crisp 1080p assets to compressed 720p video is something I find both obvious and distracting in any PC game.

That really is disappointing and no doubt means that the game install is also relatively large because of these video files? I'm beginning to wish I'd bought the game for my PS3 now as the engine and videos would then both be 720p. :bang:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The game is fun, absolutely love it.It lacks graphics options(Only Resolution/FullScreen) but it's like the series, so it doesn't need anything else.

7. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    i really didn't notice until ren008 mentioned it to be honest

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT

It looks exactly like the show. You feel like you are playing the show. The graphics may be 2D but so is the show and they are impressive looking nonetheless as it is a perfect representation of the show. Graphics options would be kind of silly considering.

You will not be disappointed. You'll be too busy laughing to be bothered by cut-scene resolution transitions.

Game install is a bit over 5GB.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    This game is super addictive. :D
    I'll post a pic of mine character in a sec.

Too bad it has no 2560x1080 support. :(

My farty character.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  10. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    That baton glows with a very suspicion color! :) what time does it unlock for UK? I havent bought it yet. Will get on steam tonight, glad its not censored for PC!

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I haven't noticed that many pre-rendered cutscenes yet aside from two, the rest have had my character in them looking like he does during gameplay so those can't be pre-rendered unless they've somehow superimposed the character model over the scene, which might be possible with 2D artwork come to think of it.
    (There's definitively been more than two scenes where the visuals have become a bit softer looking, kinda difficult to describe.)

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    so people is this game worht getting ? would this be a better choice then thief or the castlevania game

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    After playing both Thief and South Park, I won't be touching Thief again until I've completed this game 2 or 3 times.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Very much worth it, game of the year for me!

15. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    If you're a South Park fan... it's a must get.
    A RPG fan, it's still worth it. A very solid game in both combat, world layout and just overall design.

But, South Park fans will get the most out of it.

Personally, I'm having a blast with it.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I know exactly what you mean. Even 2D art can look softer when upscaled to 1080p from 720p. If you've noticed that then it'll undoubtedly be because those were 720p videos. Not a major issue but clearly the main game assets are designed for 1080p so it's a pity that Obsidian didn't also make the few video cutscenes 1080p as well to maintain consistency.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The first update is out now. :)

18. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Just got the greenmangaming 25% off and pre-loaded. I'm really looking forward to it! Is it worth the risk of trying to unlock elsewhere?

Got Thief last weekend, but playing didn't really satisfy me (yet?). So I decided to stall that one for later. Happened to Dishonored as well, I was not immersed demmit. Just can't put my finger around that really :bang:
    But playing The Stick of Truth won't do that to me for sure as South Park is teh best alternative for playing games anyways :D

Have fun to all who've been able to unlock it already! :cheers:

19. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Just unlocked it by VPN and was able to start the game. After a reboot it says 'unreleased' again :(
    Does it still work for you?? It was you who made me do it, so please beware :)

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    No yeah, I tested a little, it says "play" as long as I never click away, but if I click another game then back its "preload", same as with if I put my laptop to sleep then open it again.

You need to connect by vpn again if it says "preload"