Display Driver Uninstaller Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Wagnard, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Personaly I didn't had any problems with it (WinXPx86-Win7x86-Win7x64) or know someone who has, so my vote goes to keep the Auto Reboot into Windows Safe mode option.

Maybe it's better like 7stars already said to let user to choose what to do.

I guess most of users don't have problems with auto reboot option, those who does are minorty, it's hard to please everyone...

2. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Well the function to make it boot into safemode work everytime.

The problem is that users have sometimes corrupt os or are using some antivirus / software with driver that fail to start windows in safemode.

and because of the bcdedit changes, the computer is kinda stuck in a try to go into safeboot loop. And wont stop until we delete the value with BCDEDIT (normally done automatically when we entered windows as a registry has been added to do this automatically)

3. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080

Its quite rare, I got 2-3 users who reported to me that their safemode doesnt work for various reason.

Maybe adding a warning like : Be sure your safemode before clicking yes.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Wouldn't this happen to those people anyway if they just tried to boot into safemode normally without DDU ?

5. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Yes
    With the only difference that after the computer reboot, it will go into normal mode as there is no bcdedit changes.

This is the main problem. I dont really care if the users cant get into safemode. I dont want them to be stuck in a fail boot loop. (Ya I care for the 1% users that may get this problem :p )

I do have a little idea however that may workaround this. But wanted to get some feedback as if this feature was loved anyway :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  6. 7stars

7stars Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC
    IMO definitely yes.. a detailed warning is enough
    so then, if their safemode doesn't work, they should complain to those who make that bugged software... ;) or if their OS is corrupt, what does this have to do with DDU? not your fault...
    that is, safemode is a fundamental function by OS, it must work...regardless of DDU

7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

Or maybe to make a clear note right after starting DDU, something like this:

Note for first time users: Before starting DDU first make sure are (you can boot) in Windows Safe Mode to start DDU from there. If you hadn't run this Windows into Safe Mode on this PC before starting DDU do a Windows test run in Safe Mode: reboot Windows, press F8 right before Windows starts to load and choose: Safe Mode ...and then if Safe Mode starts run DDU from Safe Mode.
    Note for old DDU users: For those of you who were using DDU earlier with DDU's Auto Reboot option in Safe Mode on their rigs just forget about text above: run DDU from Windows Normal mode and choose Auto Reboot in Windows Safe Mode....

Jeez, I realy don't know how to make short sentences :)

8. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Wagnard, you just saved my dumb sorry ass after I ended up with unbootable system because of stupidly just swapping cards instead of doing proper Catalyst reinstallation.
    Praise DDU!!

9. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    To get the old F8 option back in Windows 8, even for UEFI boot, from an elevated command prompt type:

bcdedit /set bootmenuypolicy legacy

To return to the UEFI boot menu use:

bcdedit /set bootmenuypolicy Standard

Further information can be found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542202(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  10. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Yeah this is what is on my mind and probably what will be in the next version.

11. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I would also like to see the auto safemode boot option stay with DDU, since it's incredibly convenient and fast for us users of Windows 8/8.1.

Wagnard, I just hope you can find a way to make us all happy, and the way you're concerned about even a tiny of your users say a lot about you.

Kind regards and keep up the good work! :)

12. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    I agree, keep it.

Maybe you could do something like that DDU detects wether the user has a program like 'Easeus" and other anti-virus programs.

This could prevent the problems and that DDU warns them they need to either uninstall it or go in Safe-Mode themselves.

13. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Yeah, I agree. That would be a good approach :)

Whatever you end up doing, guys, it seems a great idea to add a warning message before going into safemode. You know, just in case something goes wrong.

14. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Thanks for your feedback guys, I have coded a solution already. (not yet posted on SVN because I'm at work)
    this solution will bring the boot menu (F8) and it does work with Windows 8 and 8.1

So if safe mode fail for the users, he can boot back in normal mode and the change with Bcdedit (that bring the boot menu) will be removed automatically.

15. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080

16. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Probably because its listed in Guru's downloads and you are not mentioned, and the posting link is not to this thread.

In Hilbert's defense however, it is your text....

Just get him to update it. You should also contact TH to get them tp upate the article.

Google also lists the Guru3d link, not your own page.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  17. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    It is not a problem really it was just funny

18. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Great, thanks for the update.

Let's see if it actually works for the next version. :)

19. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Exactly! :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  20. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yup.

So, it will change back after going into safe mode?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.