Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Picked up a new ride last month; a 2014 Ford Focus ST. Turbo 2.0 liter with 252-hp and 270 lb-ft of torque, six-speed manual, full leather Recaro seats etc. This thing is a blast to drive and strikes a nice balance between performance and economy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    damn nice ^

3. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    neat car congrats on the ride.

My counterpoint to it is that I've always felt it was underpowered compared to the RS available elsewhere other than the US. Plus the base WRX costs just about the same and will outperform that Focus (more power and AWD)

4. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    ----

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Ohh nice ST! I do like them. Wish the US got the RS though.
    At 252HP, it reminds me of a Mazdaspeed 3

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Those Focus's are nice and the WRX mentioned above isn't for everyone. They're damn fast but I think they look really tacky. They seem aimed at ricers and people who think those fart can exhausts are cool. The Focus is more subdued looking and I want to say it gets better MPG too.

The US never gets any of the good Euro hot-hatches. We also don't get that diesel VW that gets ridiculous mileage. Fiat just came back though. They sell the 500, and... well, that's it. Come on Europe, send us some of the good stuff.

7. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    You'll probably be getting a slew Alfa Romeo models and Lancia (as Chrysler) in time.

I quite like the Dodge Dart (LWB Giulietta).

8. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Do you get this one?

[​IMG]

Love a fast, small estate :)

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Nope. We (in the US) don't get the estate version either. Europe gets all the best little cars and sends us winners like the Smart ForTwo. lol

Whenever I see a round-up of the best hot-hatches (and small variants) pretty much all of them aren't for sale in the US. I'm not really in the market for one as I like a big, fast, luxury sedans (saloon cars?) but it would be nice to see these peppy little cars available here.

10. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

The WRX is undoubtedly a great performer, but I simply don't like the style and the interior feels cheap. I was also looking for better fuel economy than it can muster (My other vehicle, a Jeep Wrangler, gets 16 mpg :) ). In the Focus, I can get 30 mpg on the highway while driving back and forth to work, and it's quiet and comfortable inside. When I want to hammer it, the intake noise and lift-throttle oversteer in corners make it stupid fun. I dig the dual personalities.

Supposedly, the Focus RS is going to be shown in Geneva in the fall, and will be coming to the US next year with AWD and 320-350 hp. It'll be far more expensive than the ST, and far less economical, of course. If you're going for cost/economy-be-damned performance, there are myriad options out there, but the ST struck the best balance for me, and I love it.

11. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Well you have the Fiesta ST and Focus ST now. :)

12. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The Fiesta ST is a cracking good car!

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'm not knocking the Focus. I think the Focus is a great small car and the ST must be fantastic. One of my old girlfriends had a ~2005 Focus and I thought it felt more solid than any other smaller car I've ever driven. :) Not sure about the Fiesta yet.

I'm just jealous of all the other great small cars of the world we never see here.

14. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
  15. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Something very good about small cars.

Even though I've done 11k in it, the novelty of driving this still hasn't worn off (at all - I can't get enough of it lol)

[​IMG]

With 45hp and a top speed of ~85mph it was always going to be a winner.

Cars have all grown, though. A 'small' car now, is actually enormous!

[​IMG]

16. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    You mean like the Volkswagen Scirocco? Pretty awesome looking little hatchback.

Love my Dart Rallye 1.4 Turbo.

17. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
  18. serious1

serious1 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    ^This has to be my favorite scene from a movie besides the marmot in a bathtub. Wash that motor!

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    BMW 5.20i 170 HP and 1.6 Engine M package 2014

vs

Mercedes E 200 1.6 150 HP AMG package 2014

vs

Freelander 2 2012 2.0 Engine 240 HP 4x4 SUV

what do u think guys.

drove 5.20i BMW and it goes fast and fuel economy is best. Freelander is my current vehicle but FUEl economy is getting trouble boring.

Didnt test drove E b***305;ut 150 Hp sound slow which some my friends already said.

20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    If reliability and cost of ownership are concerns, I'd widen the options a bit.

My personal experience (and those of my friends) with BMWs keeps me from ever considering buying one. They break, often and are ridiculously expensive to fix, even parts that are typically not too costly for other vehicles (brakes, water pump, etc). They handle great but the ride in a bimmer is way too stiff for a daily driver. I hate taking long trips in a BMW.

I can't speak to Mercedes with much personal experience but I don't hear many good things about their quality. From the 90s through recently MB quality has been abysmal compared to their old (seemingly) bullet-proof cars.

If I had to go German it would be an Audi. Myself, I'd be looking at the Japanese performance/luxury sedans. Infiniti makes some, Lexus and Acura make a few that could be considered pretty quick (though not "fast").

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.