Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    ok !I m back home! I aint 100% positive ! but from what I have assessed it look like stting msi to 2 is enough for all but very heavy use ! by what isee on my system it seem you need one interrupt to cover read and one interrupt to cover write (under normal circumstance 1 interrupt total per device would be enough but since cpu use sram and a lot of gpu also use sram and those can read and wirte simultaneously at time you may need 2 msi so read and write can happen simultaneously .from what have seen ,I wasn't able to push my system anough to warrant more then 2 msi!

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Here is the script
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/rcgtxc73fp00x26/MSI_mode_utils.zip

Open it in text editor to read the help or execute in PowerShell:
    get-help .\MSI_mode_utils.ps1 -full

Remind you that to be able to execute PowerShell scripts you should specify execution policy by:
    Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
    or
    Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

And I strongly recommend to use script with argument 'reg' first to make the backup reg-file before turning MSI-mode on.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    Thanks. So I ran it on my current desktop and it has no issues at all, works good. I then tried my laptop and got a BSOD, simple system restore process and it's fixed. Going to try it on my other rig later today or tomorrow. I suspect there won't be any BSOD like my current comp.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    'Last known good configuration' in Windows boot menu should fix too.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I was hoping this was standalone program to check/do this so i will just leave this before now

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You see difference between script and program?
    I can easily convert that script to .Net program...

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wouldnt know i know nothing about programing.

8. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    Just tried it out on my other rig no BSOD problems at all. My ATI card was already set into msi mode though and with everything else set to msi mode I noticed maybe about 1-3 dpc decrease.

9. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Tried it ! But bsoded (w8.1 reverted to last known) probably isn't your program ,my issue is USB 1 and 2 .I ended up disabling MSI for USB .the issue is stuff always try to use a MSI already being used for some odd reason so one always end up being disabled .

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You wrote that you wouldn`t use script, but would use a program. Why?
    Script is executed in PowerShell - the shell shipped with Windows since Vista. PowerShell and script use .Net framework which shipped with Windows too. I can write program with same features and this program will use .Net framework too.

Just curious. I don`t force you to try MSI tweak, because in most cases it gains a little performance boost.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

11. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    If you aren't a power user MSI won't even be noticed, but if you multitask a lot MSI alone won't be enough . if you need MSI ,very likly you all also need to set the number of msi to 2 . and only because a lot of computer part can read and write at the same time so in some occasion 1 MSI isn't gonna be enough.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no i wrote I dont like manual messing with registry. and you not forcing I am curious about this, I just rather have program with GUI to much of bother to go threw the registry to do this manual to do test this

Last time I tried this when the last guy tried to make program for this but he stoped work on it. and that only did it for gpu.

Im sure people would interested in program that list what is msi mode and what is not and let switch to msi which what the old program was it was just for GPU

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  13. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    Huh? You can easily check yourself whats in msi mode and what isn't in device manager

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you can BUT SWITCH IT threw registry manually is not.

The whole point was getting it as was GUI that listed device and weather it is in MSI or not and if not has the option to enable/disable it all in one GUI which much more flesh out version of the original program that did only GPU, which mbk know what I talking about.

Which what most people wanted to begin with with the original program which is what it was aiming for before the original guy stop developing.

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Well, we should wait until muse will fly nearby... GUI app I can do only at work rig with VisualStudio.
    I am reluctant to do simple to use utility for that tweak because it can lead to BSOD. And some unexperienced user can loose his rig (not knowing what to do). The script I wrote by demand, for specific user. If you want I will implement GUI app, but that will take time.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    an unexperienced user can and will mess the rig up if the do this by hand to. which is no diffrent then the script they dont know what they doing same effect.

Manual editing it first tracking the id down "VEN_1002&DEV_4397&SUBSYS_1609103C&REV_00\3&11 583659&0&B0" then trying to find it in the registry (get the id wrong type it wrong you got issue. add the sub key and dword wrong you got issue). it the same with a script if they dont know how to use and trust me there people that use things with out reading then complain about it after the fact.

Altest with GUI that list what is and isnt not in MSI. That can disable and enable. it makes the likely hood of said person messing there computer up less likely. if said program has backup even less likely hood of it happen. which makes the whole switching to and back to default alot easier. but then again people dont read so they could complain about the program causing it to

you dont have to make with GUI I just thinking from the stand point the normal joe idiot that does things with out reading which will happen at some point.

Besides you know alot people where interested in the gui that guy made that switch our gpu into that mode for us. and before this topic got rolled back, they guy was gona try to implement gui for everything that could be switch. why not try to do that too?

doing all this isnt no where as simple and the hpet tweaking.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  18. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  19. lllFATAL1TY

lllFATAL1TY Guest

GPU:
    N780 Lightning
    mbk1969,

firstly thank you for this great finding

i already switched my gfx to MSI without no problems
    tried to switch my sound card but it just ignores MSI and stay in Line-Based

OK, but i have doubt if i can change these to MSI too:

currently these are set to MSI:

thank you :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Mine got more then 100. Just ignore them. ISA devices can`t work in MSI mode.

As I understood - just some device which helps attach more PCI devices to the bus. So the more additional devices at the PCI bus the more those bridges.

Did you install Intel`s chipset drivers, btw?

If in doubt whether device can be switched to MSI mode, try either script or exe - both should skip devices without interrupt management and therefor will show you capable ones..