Microsoft Windows 8.1 will get 70% price reduction

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2014.

1. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It not discount for Retail nor OEM Retail only OEM get the deal like Dell, HP, etc, etc so why would give a rats you know what which I don't do because of all trash that get install and cut rate carp parts that they used.

2. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It's not like it would hurt to provide an optional Vista or 7 style interface and desktop environment. I used W8 for about two weeks and couldn't stand it. I'm content with a slower interface if it means I get my SM and don't have to stare at the ugly ribbon for explorer windows.

Off topic: Hello G3D forums :D.

3. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    There are 3 party interfaces for Win 8 and many are free so ....
    Many people don't want to give it a try from the first time and other are just lazy to change it:
    You can make win 8.1 start directly in Desktop mode so you don't need to use the metro interface so much (only thing i use it is to get to my programs and that is more simple for me at least (in Win 8.1) that in any other Windows, just because i have +200 programs and they are more easy to find in Win 8.1 (windows button and then ctrl+ Tab) and you can easy search for them in there).
    So again i say many people are lazy and don't what to learn how to use a new OS (many still want to do all whit the mouse and whit to few actions).
    Still to get to control panel , device manager, command prompt (admin) .... and other is really easy on Win 8.1 and harder on 7 and lower.
    So pls don't bash on Win 8,8.1 if you don't like and interface after 4-8 weeks of using it, play whit it for 6 months and then give a feedback.
    There are little bugs here and there that got or will get fix but every OS has them.
    Still to keep to the topic, i hope that this move will be a move to a cheaper Windows 9.
    And i think is a first for MS to do this for his flagship OS.

4. zais

zais Guest

GPU:
    its contra productive for pc gamer to buy retail os for such highprice, they use for subsidse xbox os production

5. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    single ply toilet paper for $1, or for $.10, doesn't matter, you are STILL going to get s**t all over your fingers, regardless.

:)

6. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Nice one, ASLayerAODsk, and totally correct! :)

7. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Windows 8 is by a long way the best OS Microsoft have ever produced. Sure, on desktops Metro is crap (but easily removed with free software, and 8.1 update 1 will bring back the start menu) - but there's a lot more to an OS than an over-layed user interface.

8. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I'd love to upgrade to Win8.1, but i've only just moved to Win7 from Vista fairly recently and dont feel to keen on migrating everything over again.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hey yo! :)

10. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    Only 2reasons:
    1)because MS doesnt release new security updates.
    2)win xp doesnt support dx10 or dx11 games. (Not that there are a lot of games that support dx10,dx11 games)

And i personally havent found a single dx11 game to play! except barely a few: CIV5, grid2 and maybe one weekend games.

^If we count dx11games looks like im terrible gamer after all.

11. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Actually you don't have to. If its Windows 7 you're on, you get upgrade i believe where it keeps all your apps but it converts your OS into Windows 8. not as good as a clean install, but its good enough. I did it on an alternative rig to test BF4 performance and it did get a boost.

12. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Just a very quick question about Windows 8:
    If I ever did re-install one of the copies of Windows 8 Pro I bought a while back, would it update to Windows 8.1 via Microsoft Updates?

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    From memory, yes.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No. You must use Windows Store.

15. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Thanks very much for the prompt replies.
    Much appreciated. :)

16. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Linux 4 ever!

17. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    I upgraded from Win 7x64 and have to say it was painless. Everything just worked, a please t surprise!

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im @ win8.1 and win8 since release and its great.

Although, looking at one Win 8.1 update1 video, its what win8 should have been from the start, but ok. At least we will get it free :nerd:

19. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    What else is new, my dear colleagues?

Few years ago, right after the Vi$ta was officially released, I had warned this Forum (and some other as well) about the serious dysfunctionalities of this OS.
    And EVERYBODY jumped as if personally offended : "no, this is NORMAL" they shouted, "it's always been like this...just a minor problems with the "new born baby"..."soon it'll be corrected, just wait and see...". And WHAT did we see? A "baby" turned out to be a "Rosemary's baby", right? Ugly, evil&stewpid Frankenstein's creature...
    Now, it's win 8...oops! I mean 8.1...or, is it gonna be 8.35 in a month or two, huh?

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    No one needed warning about Vista, for most people it was painfully obvious when things get so much slower.

W8 is the opposite, it's quicker, easier to use and most of the complaints are from people who don't use it.

That's the tech world though, the majority of Linux or even Apple haters have never spent any appreciable time with the respective products/OS's and no different with Windows.