Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    Ok, sorry guys. I just need to know as soon is possible, because I'm planning to buy new graphic card.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't understand, you're asking how someone achieved downsampling, in the downsampling guide thread?

3. ACMPraetorian

ACMPraetorian Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 OC
    Sorry MiljanSRB, I'm unable to help due to my lack of understanding with regards to the registry method.

There are a few things you need to tell us in order for us to help you better.

1. Are you using HDMI?
    2. Are you using a DVI connection to your monitor?
    2A. If you're using DVI, does your GPU have 1 DVI slot or 2 ( I think this is important to know due to the output signal the GPU sends out )

Also, try to follow this exactly.
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9957265&postcount=6448

I tried and got MOST of it done, But I was lost when it came to changing pixel clock and resolution in the registry file.

4. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    I try with that link, but is not working, my screen become all crazy...
    How to know if I have DVI or HDMI connection?

5. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Do you want to downsample with a 7770?

6. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    I currently have 7770, but I'm planning to buy R9 290, will work with R9 290?

7. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    No offense to anyone but I dont understand the point in downsampling. A good high resolution monitor is the way to go imho.

I have tried downsampling before but I cant tell a real difference. Maybe textures a little crisper and that s it. Why dont you just buy a nice korean monitor, apply some AA and sweetfx(sharpening), and you are good to go. It is going to save you some headaches.

Or just buy Nvidia.

8. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    I can't believe you don't see the jagged lines and aliasing artefacts! Yes, downsampling is not needed in every game, but in games that has no AA (poor console ports usually) or their AA sucks to the point of being useless (blurry)
    4k 27" monitor solves that to a point...

And the nvidia part is just not serious, cmon...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  9. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    The HD 6000 series can achieve higher downsample resolutions than the following generations for some reason. One would think it should be the other way around.

10. MiljanSRB

MiljanSRB Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7770
    Is it true that with Nvidia cards you just need to go in Control Panle Nvidia and set custom resolution (3200x1800) and that's it, will work?

11. Anypaper

Anypaper Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 Lightning
    What for Tools do I need to Downsample ?
    I have uploaded all the tools you need in this Download link.
    http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/69050434/file.html

What are the Requirements to Downsample?
    -Of course an AMD GPU.
    -DVI connection is preferred, on my Rig HDMI and Displayport works also.

First Steps:
    Installing a Modified Monitor Driver is Required (which you will find in My Download Pack)
    In order to install the Modified Monitor Driver, deactivation of the Windows Driver Signature enforcement is required. If you use Windows 8 or 8.1 deactivating the automatic driver installation is also required.

How to add a Custom Resolution:
    1. First of all execute the “list.bat” and a little Command line Window will appear and will show some values which are really important. The Most important values are “AdapterIndex” and “DisplayIndex”, please write them down.
    2. Now Open the resolution.txt which looks like this:
    Code:
    [B]AdapterIndex ?
    DisplayIndex ?[/B]
    TimingStandard 1
    PossibleStandard 14
    [B]RefreshRate ?
    Width ?
    Height ?[/B]
    TimingFlags 0
    HTotal 0
    HDisplay 0
    HSyncStart 0
    HSyncWidth 0
    VTotal 0
    VDisplay 0
    VSyncStart 0
    VSyncWidth 0
    PixelClock 0
    HOverscanRight 0
    HOverscanLeft 0
    VOverscanBottom 0
    VOverscanTop 0
    3. The Bold values and question marks are going to get replaced.
    -the written down AdapterIndex/DisplayIndex from the “list.bat”
    - Refreshrate is the Native of you display Mostly 60 Hz, so put 60 Hz there
    - for Width use “1920”
    - for Height use “1081”
    - now save the Document.

4. Execute the “resolution.bat”, the screen will go black or blank and will restore again.
    Check in Control panel/Display if the resolution is available.
    If for some reason an error appears change the refresh rate in the “resolution.txt” like to 57 Hz. Don’t forget later to modify the refresh rate again in the Registry key.

Code:
    57 Hz = 39
    60 Hz = 3C
    65 Hz = 41
    70 Hz = 46
    75 Hz = 4B
    80 Hz = 50
    85 Hz = 55
    90 Hz = 5A
    95 Hz = 5F
    100 Hz = 64
    105 Hz = 69
    110 Hz = 6E
    115 Hz = 73
    120 Hz = 78
    125 Hz = 7D
    130 Hz = 82
    135 Hz = 87
    140 Hz = 8C
    144 Hz = 90 
    5. Start regedit and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet" press CTRL-F and search for "ModeTimingOverrides”. The key that should be found will look like "ModeTimingOverrides_DVI_ConnXXXX" where XXXX is a random number that is different for everyone. Export that key and save it because we will need it to modify it.

6. Open the Saved Registry File and start Modify it according to the values and picture bellow. Save it and Doubleclick/Confirm to install it. Restart the Computer and see if the Resolution is available.
    Code:
    Resolution Hex Numbers
    1920x1080 @ 2560x1440

Width = 00 0A
    Height = A0 05
    HTotal = 20 08
    HSyncStart = 30
    HSyncWidth = 20
    VTotal = 57 04
    VDisplay = 38 04
    VSyncWidth = 05
    PixelClock = E0 22 02

-------------

1920x1080 @ 2720x1530

Width = A0 0A
    Height = FA 05
    HTotal = 20 08
    HSyncStart = 30
    HSyncWidth = 20
    VTotal = 57 04
    VDisplay = 38 04
    VSyncWidth = 05
    PixelClock = E0 22 02
    [​IMG]

I hope this will help you abit guys. I translated and modified this Guide from a German Forum.

12. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I agree it helps with some old console ports but it doesnt really get rid of the jaggies.

I dont see jagged lines with just a little bit of AA. It helps that I have a 1600p monitor I guess. That s my suggestion about buying a nice korean monitor. I dont have experience with them but I have heard good things about them.

Nvidia has easier tools for downsampling. It is another option.

13. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Downsampling is SSAA actually, there is no difference between, and yes, when there is a good native option for it, I totally opt for AA instead of all that hassle with downsampling. Thing is, when you are able to get downsampling working correctly, you get a perfect SSAA in every game, new or old, console or not, so it is the universal option. However, on amd it is hard to get properly working - old series of cards allow for much higher downsampling, i.e. much higher SSAA levels, that result in a better picture, new ones seem limited for some weird reason and as it stands it is inferior to good AA, if provided. Downsampling also enhances the AA, in games that have not very good ones, combining both and you get amazing results.

Nvidia really allows for much easier downsampling, but it is just out of the scope. We, here, have amd cards and the topic is how to get more value out of them. There is always an option to buy new card, new car, new apartment, change job, etc, but not the idea of this topic.

14. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Downsampling is not SSAA. Downsampling doesnt really take care of all jaggies and the performance hit is considerable.

It looks great so please dont get me wrong on that.

15. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    In the beginning of this very topic there are performance calculations and at several posts within. SSAA works by rendering bigger image and then averaging pixels while distributing the error. Guess what downsampling does. The performance hit of SSAA and downsampling of equal resolution were found to be about equal and both being considerable. A 24" 4k monitor is worth constant 2xSSAA, I totally vote for going into that direction, because of scrypt mining pretty much everyone I know has abundance of ati cards, can play any game at any resolution :D

I still don't know what hardware does the downsampling tho - with nvidia is clear - the card, with ati is not so - it looks to be the monitor itself, but then the quality of the downsampled picture will depend on monitor's firmware/hardware, can be great or horrible.

16. Anypaper

Anypaper Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 Lightning
    Downsampling is Supersample AA with Ordered Grid in other words its just OGSSAA (Ordered Grid Supersample-AA)

Many Titles that have no support for AA or just Post filter AA, Downsampling is a very nice cure for flickering AA textures especialy transparent textures.

Games like Castlevania,GTA 4 or Diablo 3 that have not ingame AA look great with SMAA+Downsampling.

Correct me if i am wrong but afaik the method how nvidia Downsample works or AMD is the same. The GPU renders a higher resolution internaly and samples it down to the native Monitor Resolution. The term nvidia is on hardware and AMD not is kinda wrong.

Try Battlefield 4 with 200% resolution Scale and 2720x1530 + 4x Msaa :nerd:
    It's Unplayable but the Image Quality is just Awesome good.

17. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Thanks for correction of the OGSSAA. I never got a clear response when or how downsampling works with AMD: Let's say it is rendered at higher resolution inside and then downsampled and sent to monitor on native. This is great on theory, but then:
    - why you need modified monitor drivers?
    - why you need to patch dvi frequency
    - why it is limited on hdmi/dvi, but allowed fully on displayport?
    - why there are limits at all and can't set resolution of 500000x300000 granted you have the videoram to handle

That leads me thinking that the actual downsampling is done by the monitor and it is fed with huge image. This of course leads to questions on its own:
    - why I have not heard of a different downsampling quality on a different monitors
    - why it works for pretty much everyone that properly follows the guide, if it is monitor based, then the cases of "can't make the thing work no matter what" should have been more present... unless pretty much every monitor out there supports feeding bigger image
    - why just usung CRU creating a super huge resolution is not working

Dunno what to think tbh...

18. Anypaper

Anypaper Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780 Lightning
    I think every point you made is cause by a driver limitation on AMD's side nothing else. Fixing or renewing the Custon Resolution Feature would bring a solution or just integrate Internal Resolution Scale like BF4 has but on Driver side. Like a slider that does: Treat my Set Resolution x2,x4,x8 internally.

Kepler Cards have also some very bad downsampling attitude also and i think it was fixed by some modified Bioses which overrides Monitor Edid and probably Nvidia did some fixed in their Drivers also.

Probably if some clever guys could start modding AMD Bios files to archive higher resolution and downsampling i think we could have really nice results on Radeons too :D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  19. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Bios mod is unlikely, 290(x) bioses are signed and unless you have internal sources (aka The Stilt) it is impossible to edit it. The sad truth is that not all that many people find downsampling useful, they get along the jagged lines with "nothing can be done", so I don't really expect official or unofficial even support anytime soon.

20. wellison

wellison Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 ASUS Strix 4gb
    help with colors now :S

yes ai can make work only with 1440p in my system windwos 8.1 x64 and TV LCD Samsung 40" LN40C650 over HDMI.
    my problem is i follow the tutorial and i get only RGB complete or RGB limited, how i can get YCbCr4:4:4 ou YCbCr4:2:2 ??