Microsoft Windows 8.1 will get 70% price reduction

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2014.

1. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    It's a lose lose for MS. They lose on profits and Windows 8 and lose on reputation because Win8 gets put on cheap devices that will only make Windows perform worse. It's like what happened when Windows 7 was put on budget netbooks with atom processors. The user experience suffered by not only low performance machines but bloatware the budget dealers stuffed on top of an already crappy system. The last thing MS needs right now is another hit to its rep.

2. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Are ****ing kidding me? YOU are the sheep!

3. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I have some relatives that desperately need to upgrade from XP, so this sounded good at first. Apparently it's only for OEM giants such as Dell, HP etc. If I could buy OEM copies myself for $15 I'd go get a 3 pack of them right this second.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    They really want to push win8 even though they took all that flak from there stupid ideas about metro.

Not happen unless I can completely remove/disable Metro and have work star menu like every OS before it Not resorting to 3rd party hackies changes to fix something that didnt need fixing to begin with.

I didnt switch to Vista for DX10 I sure as hell aint switching to win 8 for dx 11.2. Considering most game still have use DX9 and few that are DX11 are half assed still.

And I sill upset over the fact winxp let use tweak our network much more then vista/win7/8 cause they pretty much automate it

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's not only just the interface that isn't as good, it's the fact it looks crap. So plain and boring, it isn't a pleasant interface. Aero does improve the graphics greatly, it's why people complain so much about it not being present.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    In the grand scheme of things, no one really cares about Aero though.

Adding it back would not help sales, neither would a return of a traditional start menu.

Traditional desktop PC sales will continue to decline as most people no longer want anything but tablets.
    On a positive note the gaming side seems to be doing well, but non gaming not so much.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Lets face it, if people want light access to the internet for Facebook and that, a PC is always going to play second fiddle to phones and tablets. What Microsoft should be pushing is the gaming side of PC's. But with Steam already heavily invested with Linux, Windows is becoming less needed as the months roll on.

8. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Absolutely false. The UI in desktop mode is MUCH faster and less of a resource hog than aero was.

This is besides the fact that you can download a Visual Style that looks EXACTLY like aero.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

What I'm saying is it looks boring. People don't buy things that are boring, and if they do psychologically they'll use other things like tablets if they can. Don't forget computers are faster now, and the Vista UI code was terrible. The aero code was also unoptimised.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yep, guilty of it myself as this post is being written on a phone and a lot, if not most browsing is done on my tablet.

I agree the gaming is what they should be pushing, don't think Steam is much of a threat though, there was lots of hype when silly people mistakenly thought everything would work on Linux, but when people realised that wasn't the case the momentum died.

11. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    Excuse me but the OS is ONLY an interface, especially when we talk about windows. There are so many things that are identical from win95 and those things are often used.

And getting nightmarish interface is the only thing you get in OS.

You want games? You buy games, windows8 doesnt give anything, nor games, nor movies, nor programs, not firewalls or antivirus or winamp or vlc or browser or office anything.

The only thing that matter is interface itself. And some security features.

P.S. Yes i know i dont need to buy win8 but i hope you understand my frustration to understand the point in "upgrading" the os. It does seem a great opportunity though.. :|

12. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    WOW. Then, praytell, why arent we all running Windows XP?

13. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Please elaborate why I'm a sheep?

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm assuming he thinks those who are no men are excactly the same as yes men, and just pick a side/popular opinion rather than thinking for themselves.

Not saying that's the case, but I do see it a lot in the tech world.

16. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Oh OK, thanks for clearing up for me.

For the record I'm a maybe then :D

17. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    No thanks, I'm sticking with Windows 7. I really don't need anything Windows 8 has, I will never use Metro on a desktop and I want a real Start Menu. Bring those back in Windows 9 and we can talk. The ONLY good thing in Windows 8 is the new task manager, but I can live without that. Maybe if Microsoft gets it right with Windows 9 then I'll consider using that. Maybe.

18. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    the thin is men (an sarge) that window 8 is the future an some of us hav adopted it now an are usin the advanced OS. u are much better to start usin it now so u can get use to it because that is what OS of the future is going to be so i advice all men on here to atleast consider using the better os of window 8 and join us all so we can be one big user group of windows 8i. i understand that many men on here are confuse and cant properly understand the new OS because of the advancement but their are many here who will help you throug the difficult task which is easy for some. please dont hesitate to PM ME FORE THE ADVICES and i will help u on ur way to usin window 8 and leavin 7 in the drainige pipes below. also i wil say this, metro is actualy an improivement on the start menu of window 7, their i said it!

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True, while some are sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting it's not true, others are adapting and discovering how much better the new "start menu" is.

I was like others initially, but now having to use W7 feels slow and inefficient, while the XP PCs at work are nothing more than an awful and frustrating experience.

20. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I'm waiting patiently for some of those talented peeps over on Dev Art to create some wicked styles for 8.1.Hoping they have by the time I make the switch in a couple of mths.It does look kind of boring compared to the vstyles I'm using on 7 currently.Oh and I'm typing this on phone too, jus finished dinner, :)!