MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 18(2014-01-02)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Haldi

Haldi Master Guru

GPU:
    R9-290 CF
    P.S Anyone here playing Smite ?
    Running Afterburner + RTSS 6.1 with 14.1 and 290 CF seems to crash the game for me! Closing Afterburner and it works fine.

2. Donads

Donads Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB
    Here you go:

AMD VCE Speed/5Mbps ~51 FPS

Intel QuickSync Speed/5Mbps ~121 FPS

I'll try updating it.

3. Donads

Donads Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB
    I've just updated my Intel display drivers from .3316 to .3345 and I've got a slight boost (a couple more fps on the benchmark, not a huge improvement). Not sure why's that, but QuickSync's still great.

The only issue I've noticed is that while I can both record and prerecord whenever dedicated server is disabled or enabled and set at 32-bit, when set to 64-bit, if I press either the record or prerecord keybindings, although the info will show up on OSD (0:00:00, 0MB, etc) it'll stay zeroed, no recording will be made, pressing the record/prerecord keys again to stop recording won't make it stop, and I also notice a brief stutter as I "start" the recording.

As I mentioned, dedicated server @32-bit/no dedicated server works just fine. Any idea what might be causing it?

4. nogaff

nogaff Guest

GPU:
    HIS 7950 3GB @ 1050/1500
    Seeing the same thing here with RTSS 6.1.0. Works fine with 32-bit dedicated, but with 64-bit dedicated pressing the record key makes whatever game I'm playing freeze for a few seconds then the OSD shows the recording indicator but the counters stay at zero and no video file actually gets saved. This didn't happen in 6.0.0.

Apart from this little issue, the improvements in 6.1.0 seem fantastic! Thanks Unwinder! :thumbup:

I'll try and post some benchmarks when I get home from work.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    What am I doing wrong? I have ticked the "Apply overclocking at system startup" but that doesn't actually happen. I haven't touched CCC Overdrive at all. Does it override afterburner or something? I have not had Radeon in ages so maybe I am doing wrong...

6. Janpoll

Janpoll Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7750 1GB
    Hello guys. Me and my friend having a similar issue with VCE plugin, he was with that issue before the beta releases because he was testing, hoping with this update the issue fixed, we tested and the same thing happen -he tested before and now, I only with this update (VCE pluging I mean)-. Resuming, recording with VCE all the display 0.

I have a 7750 with 13.9, my friend 7850 with 14.1.

If you have notice, the fan speed of the graphic card is stucked at X% of speed and you need to reboot for fixes it, atleast in our case.

Apologies for my lack of English.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I'm sorry but your friend is lying. VCE plugin was never tested with any third party users before the beta v6.1.0. And the issue is isolated to new 64-bit encoder server, it is not anyway related to VCE.

8. Unwinder

Bug with 64-bit dedicated encoder server has been reproduced and fixed, the fix will be available in the next beta. The problem was caused by memory management optimizations introduced in 6.1.0 beta 1.

9. Janpoll

Janpoll Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7750 1GB
    Thanks for your answer and apologies again for my English, I explained bad. He was with 6.0.0, using this codec: https://github.com/jackun/openencodevfw sorry for my mistake. Anyway, the issue is the same now using VCE with 6.1.0 but I'm happy you already know it.

VCE benchmark: 1080p default (balance/5Mbps) 41.1 FPS, with all max 30.6 FPS.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  10. Unwinder

Inability to use some third party codec with AB is by far NOT the same issue. And it won't be fixed.

11. nogaff

nogaff Guest

GPU:
    HIS 7950 3GB @ 1050/1500
    Some 6.1.0 benchmarks @ 1080p:

Quick Sync
    Quality/50Mbps: 154
    Balanced/20Mbps: 162
    Speed/5Mbps: 170

VCE
    Quality/50Mbps: 35
    Balanced/20Mbps: 52
    Speed/5Mbps: 57

Quick Sync (iGPU OC'd to 1600)
    Quality/50Mbps: 169
    Balanced/20Mbps: 169
    Speed/5Mbps: 169

Edit: my speed benchmarks seem kinda low compared to:
    With the OC'd iGPU mine seems to bottleneck at ~170 FPS.

Does RAM speed make any difference? Mine's at stock 1600MHz at the moment.

12. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Hello Unwinder.

After waiting for couple of months for the AMD OVerdrive API to be fixed with R9 290 and R9 290X cards (Erroneus GPU usage reports... etc), I contacted an AMD Rep from a Forum and this is what I got after showing him your messages:

And I told him they were actually being reported wrongly on R9 290(X) cards (Except GPU-Z which used old API) and got this:

Not sure if it helps, but I thought I'd tell you in case you could look into it with AMD.

13. JackWulff

JackWulff Guest

GPU:
    2x 280x MSI
    yeh, i gave it a try and the answer from support was annoying: "change the voltage is not possible with every card." Orly?! :nerd: I dont know what the problem is, voltage regulator seems to be the same. VBE7 says CHL822x. I hope afterburner will fix it soon.

14. Darkness Knight

Darkness Knight Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX970
    Maybe 32MB of RAM (Fixed) for the iGPU (HD4600) are not enough? i'l try increasing to 128MB :).

Salu2 - Darkness Knight

15. Unwinder

Intel iGPU uses system RAM so yes, performance depends on RAM speed as well.

16. Unwinder

I'm way too pessimistic to expect a fix from AMD driver side.

17. Unwinder

Once again, how exactly do you determine that QuickSync encoder is skipping the frames?

18. iiron_eagle

iiron_eagle Guest

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G
    Thanks for your work Unwinder!

I have 2x MSI R9 280X's and I have the Graphics processor type set to standard, the only other option I get is GH'z Edition.

What should I set it at?

19. Unwinder

RTSS 6.1.0 beta 2 is expected soon, probably today. Most changes are related to NV12.

Considering that both NVENC and VCE hardware require input video frames to be in YUV (NV12) color format, both NVENC and VCE plugins needed to perform similar RGB->NV12 color space conversion before encoding each frame. So NVENC / VCE benchmark results were affected by both GPU H.264 encoding performance GPU and CPU RGB->NV12 encoding performance.
    In order to simplify the NVENC/VCE plugins now RGB->NV12 color space conversion can be performed at RTSS plugin engine level so the plugins no longer need to take care about color space conversion before uploading video frames to encoder. So pure upload+encoding speed will be reflected by pugin benchmark instead of convert+upload+encoding speed before. Due to this reason NVENC/VCE benchmark results in 6.1.0 beta 2 will increase a bit (mostly on high performance presets where CPU conversion could be a part of bottleneck).
    Additionally, moving color space conversion task to the plugin engine level gives RTSS a few more bonuses:

- RGB->NV12 conversion inside the plugin engine is effectively multithreaded so it is much more efficient and less CPU consuming now.
    - Using NV12 representation instead of RGB24 decreases encoder input queue memory footprint by 2x
    - Now you can save raw NV12 video (updated MSI Afterburner beta is required in addition to RTSS update to get this option). This option can be rather useful addition to uncompressed video recording. Raw NV12 video gives fixed 2x compression ratio comparing to uncompressed video recording at the cost of some color info loss caused by RGB to NV12 (YUV 4:2:0) color space conversion.

I have to add that those changes do not affect QuickSync plugin. Intel solution is able to convert RGB->NV12 at hardware level pretty fast.

20. HarryYTM

HarryYTM Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX TITAN
    Any option to force QuickSync or NVENC encoder output keyframe only?