AMD Catalyst 14.1 BETA 1.6 (13.350.1005.0 January 31)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Feb 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I installed the 14.1's for the same reason, then found out my Steam account was deleted by Valve. Last time I give them even a dime....

I don't need Mantle until Dragon Age gets released later this year so might be going back to 13.12 myself.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The recommended specs for Thief aren't all that high either, 270X was the recommended GPU I read on one review, It's running on these specs here

CPU: AMD FX 8350
    RAM: 8GB
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7970
    Hard Drive: 125GB SSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAQhxHmptS8

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Well, another problem just cropped up that I thought was resolved when I removed VirtuMVP and the Intel graphics driver. In power options, I have it set to turn off my display after 5 minutes. When I moved my mouse to turn the monitor back on, nothing happened.... First time it's happened since I removed VirtuMVP...

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Have you reinstalled graphics drivers? Do it.

5. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx

Offtopic: but why did Steam delete your account?

6. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Sounds like some1 has been drinking that leprechaun schnapps again.

7. gallimar

gallimar Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI R270x 2GB 256Bit
    I was crashing like a mad man all the time every time in 5 mins in BF4 and any other game (Hard crashes, black crashes, red crashes, blue crashes, soft crashes depending on when it decided to fail on me)

I gave up on 14.1 but then i decided to give it another crack....

I run an ASUS z87m PLUS MB and downloaded everything direct from the site

I use R9 270x crossfire

I noticed my BIOS was dated back to early 2013 and there were many updates that improved stability since my BIOS version. I was way way behind

I also noticed there were new CPU's added to the CPU chipset drivers. I was using the Windows 8 Auto Detect driver and didnt care because generally things worked. Well that turned out to be one of the problems.

I had previously just let Windows 8.1 manage all the drivers and I would fill in the blanks. This was basically my problem with crashes and the Mantle 14.1

this is what i did to fix it (Disclaimer, backup your entire machine, something might go wrong and you will cry when it does, i recommend macrium reflect):

Updated BIOS from the ASUS site
    Reconfigured PCIE slots in BIOS to run at full speed
    Didnt overclock CPU as a purpose for testing
    Disabled all power saving in BIOS for PCIE
    Disabled onboard graphics
    Set PCIE as default display adapter
    Set onboard sound off if you dont use it in the BIOS. Otherwise just do the standard 3.5mm typical, simple sound setup for the purpose of testing. Dont configure sound via HDMI, just to rule it out

Updated onboard sound from the ASUS site (Yes! sound drivers can crash games!)

Updated the CPU Chipset drivers at the ASUS site

used DDU to remove all ATI stuff in safe mode

Installed 14.1 BETA drivers and didnt overclock the cards as purpose for testing

Run Windows Update and make sure it only download system updates, not hardware drivers

restarted

I didnt crash, didnt get a red screen and had silky smooth mantle in BF4 in a 64player server on ultra settings (trying to deliberately make it crash). I even swapped from mantle API to DX11 as that alone crashed it out 99% of the time. It didnt go down.

For good measure i shut down and re-seated my cards and crossfire bridge

Once happy I made an image of my HDD's so i can restore back to this awesome point in time of my life with Macrium reflect

I can vouch that mantle made my FPS silky smooth. I went from very angry to very happy. The level of tech stuff i did to get this to work is not really consumer stuff. Dont bother with Mantle 14.1 if your not sure what your doing. Get someone good to upgrade your BIOS etc

I can also confirm my really old 2006 game; nwn2 (Dx9 game) runs nice in crossfire, even though 14.1 isnt supposed to support it. I havent yet tested stuttering in gw2 cus i stopped playing it and cant be bothered with the updates to run the test

SOURCE: I am an IT technician of 8 years, who actually sat down and took the time to fix my own computer instead of someone elses :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  8. PrivateRyan

PrivateRyan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970
    nice that you have found a solution for fix your problem,but can you tell me how you Reconfigured PCIE slots in BIOS to run at full speed ?

9. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    I suppose he mean HARD set PCIE to work as 3.0
    In ASUS boards it's (GEN3) setting in UEFI

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I would rarely recommend trusting Windows to handle drivers on its own. It "might" work ok for less important things like Bluetooth or WiFi/Ethernet drivers, but anything else should probably be gotten elsewhere.

On 8.1, I go as far as unhooking the internet during initial setup, and making sure Windows won't auto-grab drivers. The one time I didn't do this, Windows auto-installed some old graphics driver out of nowhere...

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Should be able to run it with ease then :p

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    No, I haven't reinstalled my graphics driver yet. I'm in the process of a hardware change that will require a clean install of everything.

Don't know. Had the account for years. It worked when I logged in back in October. When I tried to log-in to download Star Swarm, it said that my login information was invalid. When I clicked on the "forgot password" link and entered my e-mail address, it said that my e-mail address was invalid.

13. gallimar

gallimar Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI R270x 2GB 256Bit
    After the BIOS update; it put me back to default BIOS settings

My bandwidth for my 2nd PCIE slot was set back to x2

My board is capable of x4 on the 2nd slot

So I set my second slot to x4

If your not using crossfire, or more than 1 slot this may not be needed, but itsgood to check everything is running as fast as it can go

As far as Gen1,2,3 - I would suggest leaving this on auto until evaluation on stability is made. You can then adjust, and if you crash change back to what it was before.

Infact if your bios is already up to date, i recommend a default factory settings on your board and just do bare basics. Just save your Overclocked profile and load up default.

The mantle/Windows8.1/crossfire combination is very delicate when it comes to drivers. Overclocking just makes things harder to diagnose. Best to rule them out by turning off as much as possible.

Set BIOS to default and Any card overclocks to "Off", and just make sure the the basic PCIE settings are good to go, PCIE powersaving turned off, and any onboard graphics are disabled. Dont miss out your sound drivers/sound bios settings either.

I think updating my BIOS, onboard sound and chipset from manufacturers site is what really did it for me. Dont let windows manage these drivers for you in a high performance environment.

Do not use the intel auto scan and detect chipset driver installer found on the intel site. It actually made my problem worse (I crashed more)

In short:
    download only from manufacturers site
    Trust no one
    Why is that cat staring at me?
    *Reaches for a knife*

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Fingers crossed :)

I was expecting our specs to be minimum when I saw the detail in the buildings and the rain etc

15. gallimar

gallimar Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI R270x 2GB 256Bit
    Some extra advise with mantle users getting stuttering. Set the MAX FPS to the same as your refresh rate on your monitor. Or just try the bog standard 60hz/60fps

Use a software called BF4 Realmware editor

Untick all options relating to DX11 (There is 4) in under the console settings tab

(Or try reinstalling the game and dont mess around with the console)

16. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Your account is most probably hacked, not deleted. I'd contact support If I were you.

17. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    If the account was accessed from another computer, the owner would get notified before the "hacker" would be able to change anything. This depends if user don't have steam-guard disabled tho..

Anyway.. user will also get notified on his e-mail if the "hacker" changes the contact e-mail address.

If none of this.. users probly did something he should not have done :p

18. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I think you'd get an email if you were banned as well :)

19. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    If i'm not mistanken it from another company.. i remember reading something in the Tos/EULA from steam a few years ago that Steam/Valve reserves the right to disable/ban account without notifying the user or explanation.

EDIT: Sorry for derailing tread..

soo.. the 14.1 drivers ye?? Horrible :p back to 13.12 :p

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  20. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I imagine they would only disable/ban accounts without notification for extreme cases. Unless you were involved with some pretty extreme hacking or refunded a purchase outside of Steam (forced via Bank), I doubt you would fall into such a situation.

As for the 14.1 Beta, I only had a single problem with Firefox and a HTML5 video (resulted in a random BSoD on my 7850). Aside from that, everything else works fine (including HTML5 video in Chrome) on both my 7850 and my 7660G + 7670M laptop.