Move from AMD to Intel

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tonkpills, Feb 15, 2014.

1. tonkpills

tonkpills Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 660 SC (x2) SLI
    Hello,
    I have an AMD FX 8150 in a Gigabyte 990 motherboard and I just got an ASUS motherboard and an Intel 4770K and want to move my OS. I want to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 and just move my config. For some reason Windows easy transfer recognizes this system as the new one just giving me the options to transfer the files back not to do the initial back up. What other software (freeware or not) can I use to transfer all my data, setting and layouts of Windows with out the pain of reinstalling every app, driver and game I have on this system?

2. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Move the hard drive to your new system, boot with your Windows install disc, reinstall Windows?

3. tonkpills

tonkpills Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 660 SC (x2) SLI

Seriously, is this a joke? I asked for help, if you won't have something helpful to say please don post anything. Please read the post carefully. What I want is to move my windows setting like the game profiles, applications and windows settings AFTER I have done a fresh installation of windows.

I already found a solution with Laplink's PCMover. Thanks anyways.

4. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    All i can say is that it is a risk, changing a system to another machine, the chances of having problems is too high.
    You might be able to boot the machine but crashes, drivers issues amongst others is a almost a sure thing.

What applications in question are we talking about ? Is it everything ? Or just games and basic apps like browser and email ?

Edit:

Didn't notice that you found a solution, good luck keep us posted with the results.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    See here:

This is the crux of the post.

Didn't know there was a specific software suite for this, any good?

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If he wants to do it properly, without headaches, everything needs to be reinstalled, clean....

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would do a clean install myself. If you have everything important backed up and everything you needed downloaded it won't be so bad. I have everything I need backed up to an external hard drive.

8. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Jeez good luck with your random utility

9. tonkpills

tonkpills Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 660 SC (x2) SLI
    Hello everyone, I didnt respond because I forgot about this thread. Well, I installed all the new hardware and just for testing I booted up the windows untoched. Windows did a "recon" and booted without any problems. What I did was just uninstall all drivers like audio, chipset and video and re install them with the new drivers from Asus and Nvidia. Everything is running flawlessly. I already tested with several games like Battlefild 4, Assassins Creed 4, Metro Last Light, Crysis 3 and Batman Arkham Origins and no problems at all. Also All my apps are running great. MyAdobe and Corel suits are running perfecttly, actually my anti virus Norton 360 is running great. So no problems at all. I did 2 back ups just to be safe. All my games are installed in a separate SSD and my app in a mechanical 1TB Seagate. I will post anything that comes up. I didn't have to use the PCMover software after all.