Killer e2200 Gigabit not working

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by keasy, Dec 8, 2013.

1. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    My motherboard has a Killer e2200 Gbit nic.

It's been fine but today it's only working at 100mb.

I've tried various drivers and cleared my system reg with CC.

The garbage bloatware that comes with the driver set says it's @ 1Gbit but it's not.
    My downloads won't top 98/100 when they're usually up in the 120/125 mark.
    Opening the nic's properties up and checking the speed and duplex option doesn't allow above 100, there's no option for full GB.

Any ideas ?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Tried removing the network adapter completely including any ghost entries when you enable "Show hidden devices" in device manager ?

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Have you tried another network cable?

4. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I removed the nic from my system all together via device manager, rescanned, reinstalled drivers, rebooted....voilla!

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Personally, I'd just disable the "Killer" nic, install an Intel nic and call it a day.... In the end, you'll get the same network performance with better stability.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  7. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

I've taken your advice.

After fixing the PoS and it again dropping to below 100mb speed I had a nightmare uninstalling the crap software that comes with it.

I had already tried the NIC driver set minus the bloatware ( thanks though mbk1969).

I'd had enough.
    I asked on the MSI forums where I stated that a new MOBO that I've owned just over a week to have this problem along with a known issue where their official flash tool for updating BIOS wasn't good enough. I simply said it was crap.

I got banned from their forums for it !!! :ban:

Reason given... Profanity and MSI bashing. Pffft. Utterly pathetic.

Anyhoo, I just ordered a new NIC.

I hope it's a good one, the reviews seem good on it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001CY0P7G/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

What do you think ? Decent enough ?

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Same NIC I use in my HTPC. I've had zero issues with it thus far and I've had it for almost 3 years.

The cards are highly configurable through their own settings. Just make sure you read the descriptions of each setting before making any changes.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  9. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Roger that.

Thanks man.

10. beppe_7

beppe_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    I have onboard killer NIC as well. and it SUCKS I disable in the bios. I regret paying 400 dollars for this gigabyte sniper 5. theres been no bios updates since its release except a couple of betas floating around. I modded my own bios to include all the new oroms. and firmware for the lan and everything else.

do yourself a favor and disable Killer Nic and use intels. my system behaves so much better with it disabled

I mean I never had it stop working on me. but there drivers are horrible did you try the new beta driver?

11. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    Yeah, tried everything beppe_7.

It's horrendous.
    I've worked out that my speeds drop whenever one of my homegroup PC's are connected to the network at the same time.

Looking forwards to my Intel NIC.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  13. beppe_7

beppe_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    I could take a look at your mb bios and insert the latest firmwares into them. but flash at your own risk. i'll take a look later

14. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I've updated the BIOS and Intel FW on the MB to the latest stable non beta already, but thanks ;o)

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The KillerNic was better than Nvidia onboard NIC's and maybe some others back in time, nothing really beats Intel today.
    As for their software, it has always been nothing but a scam.

16. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Calling their software a scam is probably a little bit over the top.

If you understand what its designed for then it can have its uses.

Its not going to magically improve your pings or network speeds, as the marketing speak implies, but if you want to use it locally for some qos on your pc it works well.

I use mine to set low priority to jdownloader/utorrent so I csn run max download speeds but still browse web fast at same time.
    I also use it so I can game and download at the same time for minimal effect on pings.

Granted all this can be done in a decent router, but thats usually abit trickier to set up.

17. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I think a scam is pretty accurate. I mean, they promise the world, when in reality it's just basic QoS software. Most motherboard manufacturers make something similar for their onboard LAN chips.

Just get an Intel NIC. I have an Intel Gigabit CT desktop adapter and it works perfectly. Just a shame there's no true Windows 8.1 support.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The software that BigFoot added is the only thing that really differed between it and Intel NIC's, since they removed the firewall etc. from the card, it never worked as purposed.
    As for that software, you could always get the same thing for free, plus that using priority software is pure bs, remember that they referred at with pro players with their product?
    Which pro player would ever run a **** load of other things like bit torrent etc. while playing at a tournament?
    As for bit torrent, you can adjust that in the apps itself, you can do so with most stuff that has a download manager, no need to hammer your CPU with any additional processes.

19. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Yes im aware of being able adjust bandwidth in the torrent clients and or download manager.....
    but my point that was missed is that I dont need to set a downstream limit in those apps, just give them low priority. Result is max download speeds but if I am browsing the web or gaming the adverse effects are minimal.

As for hammering the cpu...well I was under the impression that the whole purpose of the e2200 was to offload resources from the cpu.

What is this free software that does the same thing then ?
    Im interested.
    I have of course used used cFos Speed in the past..which isnt free, it was bundled with an Asrock mobo I used to have. It worked ok for QoS, just like the Killer network manager does.

As I said in my first post, it works ok for QoS on a local level, nothing more nothing less.

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The offload is nothing more than what Intel always has done, less even compared to the more expensive Intel NIC's.
    As for the Killers onboard memory, and NPU it was used back in time but they moved away from it since it just was to slow to have any real potential.

There are several options, I don't remember which one that was often mentioned on the BigFoot forums, it wasn't cFos Speed though.
    http://alternativeto.net/software/netlimiter/