Geforce GTX 780 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bishi, May 23, 2013.

1. beseitfia

beseitfia Guest

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    ok i've continued testing the good one and with crysis 3, chivalry and battlefield 4 no problem...Only in guild wars 2, i had a black screen flickering and returning to game after 10 seconds for 2 times with no crash..So i'm kinda confused...It is possibile that i found 2 faulty ghz edition?? Or the clock are just pushed too high for this model, and i have to add voltage or low core clock to make it rock solid everywhere..Can you tell me some benchmark or program to test 100% the card ?? If i let valley running for 30 minutes is it considering rock solid if i pass? With both cards i have low asic quality (65% e 68%) is it possible that both cards can't simply hangle those kind of clocks?

ps: what about if i add some voltage to the gpu? For example with msi afterburner how much have i to add in core voltage? Is it dangerous?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Without custom bios it is not dangerous, especially one notch. Voltage varies a bit between each card anyway. With that low asic I am not surprised at all that the voltage is not enough. I'd use Precision X since voltage control is really simple in that.

In my case maxed out Skyrim (ambient occlusion, 16xHGAF and 4xTrSSAA from driver) and some upped ugrids seems to be the ultimate stress test. Other games might work fine but then TDR would happen in Skyrim.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What gpu will you get?

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    MSI R9 290 Gaming. Got tired of whining about broken AO and now broken FXAA. :D

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Cool , I think radeonpro has build-in AO too.

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Strange all of that works fine here.

7. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    ----

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    AO useless in many old game since the HBAO+ update. FXAA stopped working in many games when MSAA is enabled.

9. Nano2k

Nano2k Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080TI
    I just sent back last week a Gigabyte 780Ti OC that wasnt stable at stock clocks. Was fishy straight away as I could not overclock more than 100Mhz on the memory at stock but could do +400Mhz if I lowered core by 100Mhz, total BS. On overclock.net someone told me that they had 4 cards doing the same. I'm going to be staying away from Gigabyte cards for now. Planning on getting 780Sli if the store accepts to take back the 780Ti.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Mine was really on the edge. It couldn't handle core OC at all without voltage bump. The cooler is rather meh too.

11. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Guest

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    I'm not bias Radeon 290 is a good card sorry the ghz edition didn't work out = / do you see a performance difference and do you miss physx at all?.

12. beseitfia

beseitfia Guest

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    Yeah..the weird thing is that when i run benchmark at factory overclock i don't have problems. But when i play games i do...i have to low core clock to 966 wich is really annoying because i didn't payed for that result...I added some volts and seems stable but i'm angry with gigabyte this time :bang:...i will never purchase a gigabyte gpu in future..They have to test the cards before selling it, and i was far better with my MSI gtx680 lightining, they were rock solid and never had a crash in a singular game in one year!!Right now i'm confused because i have one gtx780 ghz wich is not stable with 1020 core clock at all (gives crash and freeze in a lot of games) and another one wich is a notch better, but randomly freeze as well (less for god sake) at factory overclocked core clock..Honestly i m scared about doing an rma because a lot of people seems to have problems with those cards

13. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Guest

GPU:
    /
    ----

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  14. beseitfia

beseitfia Guest

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    yeah but you know, a card that works under the garanteed clock from the manufacter it's not easy to sell...by the way it would be nice to go with a singular msi gtx780ti gaming as i was very happy with this brand before (gtx580 and 680)

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Can't comment yet. I have Zotac GTX 550 Ti AMP! at the moment. PhysX is nice but to be honest, I don't play those games that much (and it has the performance impact). I ended up getting some money back since 290 is so cheap. It was noticeably cheaper than the GTX 780 Gaming. I should get it probably this Thursday or Friday.

I hope that I don't have to do anything before Volta. I'm definitely not going to recommend any windforce gpu. Heck, this GTX 550 Ti is way less noisier (I changed the thermal paste by the way) even though the cooler is rather basic chunk of aluminium with single fan and this has rather hefty factory oc.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    AO is so hard to notice that I don't know why it matters, unless you're a screencap whore. If I was in your position I would have just traded for a different 780 model. At the same time though, trying something new is also just fine. Hopefully you have less problems with the 290.

17. beseitfia

beseitfia Guest

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    Another try with metro last light, far cry 3, crysis 3 and valley extreme (4 hours) no crash no issues with first gpu...i will try second gpu later

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I think I know at least why Windforce is not that good.
    [​IMG]
    That block of aluminium is supposed to help airflow but it probably just makes the cooling worse (less heatink fin area). On top of that the top heat pipe appears to be the one that never really touches the GPU. That space below middle fan is likely not too good thing either.

Thick base between the GPU and heatpipes probably help a bit for the top pipe(s) that would not touch the GPU but then again it probably makes things worse for the rest.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  19. beseitfia

beseitfia Guest

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    I think that is better a good reference gtx780 wich overclocks good, with high asic quality...my cousin has an evga reference with a 81% asic quality and without overvolt he can reach higher clocks than me (68% and 65% of asic my cards)...so totally a commercial fail this ghz for me...and i miss my couple of gtx680 lightining with 88% and 79% asic ( overclock was good with them) :-(

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Mine was 76,5% ASIC if I remember correctly. I had to give everything that the BIOS would allow to make 1,2 GHz stable. Without extra juice it didn't OC at all. Soo... Yeah. I don't quite know what's the deal with these. They seem to come with good ram but the GPU doesn't seem to be binned at all. They just crank up the voltage at factory and pray that it is going to be stable (and uses a lot of power).