MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 18(2014-01-02)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

More good news on NVENC: I've finished implementation of asynchronous mode for NVENC and it boosted performance even more than I expected. Now asynchronous high performance preset gives close to 200 FPS encoding performance in 1080p comparing to 110 in synchronous mode. So boost is close to 2x. NVIDIA declares that peak NVENC performance is up to 8x realtime for 1080p @ 30 FPS, so hardware limit is close to 30*8=240 FPS. Assuming that declared 240 FPS is raw NVENC encoding performance that doesn't include frame upload / RGB->YUV conversion time, I'd say that we're pretty close to the maximum that can be expected from NVENC implementation.
    High quality performance preset gives about 80 FPS encoding performance in 1080p, it is still enough for smooth 1080p recording at 60 FPS.

So summarizing what I've got on my system in 1080p:

QuickSync : 150 FPS on high quality settings, 210 FPS on high performance settings.
    NVENC : 80 FPS on high quality settings, 200 FPS on high performance settings
    VCE : 40 FPS on high quality settings, 60 FPS on high performance settings

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Does NVENC impede gaming performance?

3. Unwinder

Encoding is not the primary thing that is affecting game performance.

4. logicPwn

logicPwn Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Thanks! Hopefully they keep coming just as fast as they have been.

5. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Amazing how fast QuickSync is.

6. M.C.M.

M.C.M. Guest

GPU:
    GTX 760 Hawk LE
    Hello and ty for this great update! I've been using Riva Tuner since the days I had NV43 chip.
    I have a slight issue, when I pick "extended MSI" from general-compatibility altho I get +100mv, I cannot monitor GPU vcore anymore. I looked in Monitoring- Active hw monitoring graphs and I can't seem to find GPU voltage and have it checked to show in OSD. If I go back to "standard MSI" no problem.

7. Unwinder

That's by design and was discussed many times, use search.

8. Unwinder

Well, NVENC plugin is ready so we'll release public beta of RTSS 6.1.0 in the next couple days. Full changes list includes:

• Improved encoding plugins architecture:
    o Encoder benchmark results are no longer affected by encoder initialization time
    o Extended encoder benchmark settings. Now you can run the benchmark in current display settings like before or select custom display mode to estimate encoding performance in lower resolution. This feature is useful for comparing peak encoding performance of different hardware H.264 encoders (e.g. Intel QuickSync vs AMD VCE)
    o Now the plugins are allowed to start encoding frames without specifying the header prior to encoding. MKV container implementation has been also improved to provide support for delayed header reporting. This feature is required to support H.264 encoding APIs with no native SPS/PPS headers reporting support, e.g. AMD OpenVideo API
    • Improved dedicated encoder server service:
    o Seriously optimized data exchange path between video capture engine and dedicated encoder. Data exchange related performance overhead is seriously reduced and close to invisible now
    • Improved Intel QuickSync H.264 encoder plugin:
    o Added wait loop to encoding routine to prevent frame dropping when VPP input queue is full. Such frame dropping caused by queue overflow could cause the benchmark to be stopped with MFX_ERR_MEMORY_ALLOC error
    o Increased upper adjustable bitrate limit to 50 Mbps
    o Output bitstream is now dynamically resizable to allow encoding video at 40 Mbps and higher bitrates
    Added AMD VCE H.264 encoder plugin:
    o New plugin uses AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing SDK and AMD OpenVideo API to access fixed function H.264 encoder unit built into AMD RADEON HD 7xxx and newer AMD GPU families. The plugin is able to encode H.264 video in up to 1080p resolution at up to 60 FPS framerate. Please take a note that Catalyst 14.1 or newer AMD display drivers are recommended for proper plugin functionality
    o The pluging GUI provides you adjustable encoding bitrate and AMD’s recommended speed, balanced and quality presets. However, each preset is represented by independent CFG file and can be additionally tweaked by experienced users if necessary
    Added NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder plugin:
    o New plugin uses NVIDIA NVENC SDK to access fixed function H.264 encoder unit built into NVIDIA Kepler and newer NVIDIA GPU families. Please take a note that release 334 or newer NVIDIA display drivers are required for proper plugin functionality
    • Various protections and improvements for low memory conditions:
    o Added exception handling for memory allocation routines
    o Now encoder input queue size is limited to 256MB in 32-bit applications
    o Improved encoder input queue memory management and reduced memory footprint for VFW and external plugin compression modes
    • Framerate calculation fix for Outcast, introduced in the previous version, is no longer hardcoded. Now it is being applied at application profile level to selected executables only to avoid breaking support for other applications handling multiple swap chains differently (e.g. Dragon Age : Origins)
    • Added raster 3D On-Screen Display rendering mode support for Rayman Legends and ARMA II rendering engines
    • Updated profiles list

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  9. M.C.M.

M.C.M. Guest

GPU:
    GTX 760 Hawk LE
    Thank you & sorry.

10. Unwinder

Yep, QuickSync is a performance beast. It also provides fast and convenient RGB->NV12 color space transformation and video resize features so it is easy to use it with raw captured frames without requiring any software pre-processing.
    But it has disadvantages as well: it is not newbie friendly to setup QuickSync capable system, especially under Windows 7/Vista.
    BTW, did you try to achieve some form of asynchronous processing for OpenVideo/VCE?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014

11. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Nice information, so it will be easier to see how much performance is reduced on the little laptop. :)

Ya, except Enduro/Optimus laptop user, but I guess if MS finally make many Windows 7 users love Windows 9, then it might be only the driver support issues. :D

For the performance, I guess Intel want to get more WiFi display user, just like what it is showing while opening the Intel graphic card control panel. ;)

12. Unwinder

Laptops with switchable graphics are completely different story. Those who use or plan to use them for hardware acclerated videocapture should additionally take care about assigning encoding application to run at correct GPU or iGPU. That requires higher than average system functioning principles understanding.

13. Unwinder

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Got it thanks

15. Darkness Knight

Darkness Knight Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX970
    Great! Thanks! ;)... but why Quicksync sometimes drop/skip frames? and this features:

coming in the Afterburner b19?.

Salu2 - Darkness Knight

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

16. Unwinder

What makes you think that it skip frames?

Yes, those are Afterburner features. RTSS doesn't monitor hardware, you cannot get this functionality by upgrading RTSS.

17. lmlim

lmlim Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 480 @1.4Ghz
    This happens to me as well... after AMD driver 14.1 in place i think...
    3D profile will run stubbornly right after win startup, especially the core clock,it is locked at 1GHZ somehow.

ASUS GPU tweaks also ran 3D profile after win startup, but all clocks still can be modified/ profile recalled afterwards...

i'm using asus gpu tweak for now. as AB locked my gpu core at 1GHZ.

may be cat 14.1 has something to do with this, but AB's core locking is weird too...

any help will be appriciated.

18. Unwinder

You're confusing totally different things : AB's software 2D/3D profiles (which can be easily tracked using the hint you're quoted) and graphics card's own dynamic clock management.

19. lmlim

lmlim Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 480 @1.4Ghz
    sorry... i thought they are related. you are right, my gpu dynamic clock management somehow locked at 1ghz, (maybe) after installing cat 14.1.
    that is, i cant change my gpu clock using AB, not sure why, it will locked hard at 1ghz.

initially i thought it detected false 3D prog. but pressing "i" as you mentioned said none detected.

GPU somehow raises its clock to 1ghz few seconds after desktop comes up, but Asus GT can change its clock but AB locked its core at 1ghz.

i am using windows 8.1 (x64) in desktop mode btw...

20. Unwinder

It is controlled by GPU itself and doesn't anyway depend of AB. AB is never "locking" a clock, you're totally misunderstanding fundamental principles and I cannot help you with that.