First look at Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea me neither, I tried it once for removing Win 8 app ads, but it messed with my Paypal emails certificates, it was blocking images on the emails or something which I wasn't keen on considering it was PP

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aw man Tiberian Sun doen't work with 8.1 :p I think I will test all my old games and see how they fare.

I remember them all working with Vista and maybe 7 :(

When I eject ISO's from the drive Windows creates, all drives below it disappear from the explorer pane in the left :p Wow.

Ut99 works perfectly in OpenGL.
    GTA 2 is at 30fps in Win9x mode.
    C&C games barely run if at all - Red Alert 1 works with a custom installer.
    The Dooms work great in Zandronum.
    NFS3 works in Win9x mode with flickering at the loading screens.
    KOTOR 1 steam version works without any fiddling. I assume 2 will as well.
    I assume Quake will work fine in OpenGL.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070

and microsoft dont care that c&c has problems in windows 8 and 8.1

only EA can fix it..................:infinity::infinity::infinity:

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I've been closely following the 8.1 Update 1 threads on MDL and a user claims the latest build has fixed a problem with the mouse being stuck at a 200hz polling rate. Does this have something to do with the mouse problems with older games introduced in 8.1?

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    polling rate 200 vs 1k would perhaps manifest as mouse lag for sure, imo.

here's another win 8.1 nicety I mentioned.

http://i.imgur.com/OMrKUeP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zv00my4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Yw69c1i.jpg

Peace.

6. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    Hi I want to try Windows 8. I am using it for several months on my laptop, now I want to use it on my desktop. But my problem is I am a regular player of red alert 3 uprising. On my laptop I tried to copy the save files from my desktop to laptop but it didn’t work. I have a PC running windows 7 on my office and the save files work on that. So can someone tell me why it’s not working on windows 8?

Is there any way copy the Save file of C&C and run on windows 8.

Best regards – RS-X.

PS: Also sorry for posting on windows 8.1 section as I believe both are same. Also Sorry for my Bad English. Just hope I made you people understand my problem.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Maybe 8 uses a different save location than 7

8. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070
    actually no. If i copy the save file i can see my save game files but only the manual save files not the auto saves and campaign save data. I mean I can load a game state if i have saved my pressing "esc" and make a save but no chapter list are saved and also all the challenge games that i have finished are lost.

So any help.

You know Google is also no help hare. some times it made me think that i might one of the very few whom still play this game.

9. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
  10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Pretty much the only issue is with legacy directx (and directdraw) games like x-wing alliance. The performance is just really baaaad.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    And SAGE engine C&C games. There's some OpenRA project too ... I watched a vid on Totalbiscuit's channel so it may not matter in the long run.

Say what you want about the mangled UI in 8.x but MS has done an excellent job in maintaining backward compatibility.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Spybot immunization and spyware blaster immunization does the same thing.

13. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Im trying to figure out why windows 8 the problem happened.

why did microsoft change directdraw in the first place.

beside windows 8 not having option to disable desktop composition. there is no reason.

why did they remove that option? I think I read that they removed it because if you disabled desktop composition. the modern apps dont work.

but if im playing a desktop game. I would not be using the modern apps.

but then I never had to use that option anyways.
    so I call bs on that one.

it was working fine all the way to windows 7 and then windows 8 came out and boom directdraw slow.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Only did the typical tweaks such as core parking (which I also did on windows 7). Other then that I only use Oblytile to create my own tiles and Objectdock Decor to create my own Start background.

I choose to not install a classic start button because the main reason for installing W8 was getting to know it so I wouldn't look like a complete idiot explaining it to customers at work.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It's mainly older games that don't support Raw input.

If the newer build doesn't fix it for you, you can always apply the fix manually:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4758573&postcount=13

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I prefer this though. No extra software.

An unsupervised Sinofsky and arrogance after 7's success happened. The boom in the tablet market is just the scapegoat. Neglecting Windows Mobile didn't help either (not that the stylus based OS was any good). The problem was within MS but hopefully the new crew is better than the old.

Frankly the changes in 8.1 U1's start screen/windows store apps wrt the taskbar appearing in the full screen view is just stupid. I hated metro in the original release because I felt it encroaching on another UX/design and now it's going the other way around. There is no need for this full screen non-sense to be there for desktops/laptops. Anyway, if they feel they can afford to mess around till Windows 9 in 2015 then that's their call. Worst comes to worst, I can always go back to full time 7 if I need to.

Well only a couple of C&C games had any problem but I don't think it is related to the mouse thing. In Tiberian Sun the menu wouldn't appear and if you manage to get into a game accidentally it would run sloooooooowwwwlyyy. Similar complaints are there for RA2 and another guru said his game is too fast to be played :p Let's see what U1 brings to the table. I am cautiously optimistic.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Coretemp shows my CPU speed between 3-3.2GHz, CPU-Z shows it steady at 3.7GHz while Task Manager shows this to be fluctuating between 1.9-2.3Ghz. This is all at the desktop with nothing really running except steam and thunderbird. Who should I believe? :p I am using the high performance power plan.

18. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    on mine it show 4.75ghz

I wish.

cpu readings in windows 8 is strange at times

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    well decided to start fresh.

I set everything in the bios to uefi boot only and was even able to disable cms completely and wiped the drive and install windows 8.1

now it running really fast.

faster then when I had my older board.

now my monitor is at its native resolution from post to windows.