Sony Sells Vaio and Scratches 5000 Jobs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sony Sells Vaio towards invertor group Japan Industrial Partners and also will reorganize and cut 5000 jobs. Sony today announced significant new measures to address reform of its PC and TV businesse...

Sony Sells Vaio and Scratches 5000 Jobs

2. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Damn, that was unexpected.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah man, my sympathies. What does it feel like to be sold off? :(

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed. Sony make solid products. Sad to see them selling Vaio. :(

5. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    It feels cold & lonely, if feel unwanted and scared :p

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Interesting read.

They are certainly doing a lot to focus on mobile computing minus actual laptops. Smart move, laptops are a death knell right now.

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Sony are also busy with smart phones, the Xperia family. :)

8. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    well i am not really suprised with this news
    as company, sony already been in bad-shape for last few years

as for vaio, their main brand image is premium design (same like apple mac)
    with premium prices versus other pc maker, most consumer just go with cheaper one like dell
    or people prefer buy toshiba/fujitsu/nec instead, because not only "made in japan" labeled on their product, their pc/notebook is know to have better reliability

while sony is know for "sony timer", their product just broke itself not long after warranty over... well i know its just urban legend
    but i hear from lots people, their product didnt have good reliability

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Don't know about their other products, but I've been using laptops for around 13 years and I only have two personal ones that I used extensively in all those years.

Both are VAIOs.

The first one was a PCG-V505EC.
    Uses Mobility Radeon 9200 with motherfathering 32MB of VRAM.
    Replaced its battery pack once when it was already way away from the laptop's EOL.
    The replacement battery cost me more than a brand new netbook at the time, but I was in the middle of an important project and couldn't really afford setting up my workflow all over again with a new laptop.
    The only thing made me getting a new laptop was because the HDD started sputtering after around 9 years of service.
    Heck, the HDD even outlived the laptop's CMOS battery; had to replace that too.
    Still remember that I could only get a replacement CMOS battery from cannibalized parts of another V505 model.
    I can still clearly read this at the underside of the laptop: "MADE IN U.S.A.".
    And the most demanding game that laptop could take was WarCraft III. :p

The second one is another VAIO which very specs you can see on my profile.
    Still rocking to this moment.

A bit of caveat though: with the second one, I had to re-apply the thermal paste inside manually.
    Factory-applied paste was so sloppy it actually trapped the heat around the die instead of helping the heat getting passed to the heatsink.
    That's probably one of the reason most people don't see their VAIOs last long enough past its warranty date, so maybe the 'Sony timer' thing is actually a "forced" electronics wear from excessive heat; at least on VAIOs.

10. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Hmmm...

Not quite for people who have actually followed the progress of the company for some time. ONLY good business Sony has had for some time is... wait for it... not Play Station. Its insurance business (shocker).

11. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Terrible shame for all those who lost their jobs. I do think that Vaio laptops are the worst i've ever used though. Everyone in my IT company absolutely hates them.

12. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Yea, haven't been following Sony related news for some time.

13. bucknuts21

bucknuts21 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB
    Was only a matter of Time

I truly feel bad for the people that have lost jobs, but how many people even remember to even think about VAIO when it's time to upgrade to a new laptop much less what they call desktops "just a laptop with bigger screen". I'm sure there are people that love VAIO for whatever reason just like people love AMD or Nvidia so they just stick with the brand and not what's priced best at the time. Saw a few people say this is a surprise, but I remember awhile back reading Sony problems, but that's what happens when you price stuff just for name. Just look at the TV's sales in the U.S where Samsung and Vizio kills them not to mention all the off brands. Company's have to realize you can't price stuff from name only these days since you can find specs for most anything on the net these days.