Water Cooling - Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Preachergeek, Feb 7, 2007.

1. benqbiggis

benqbiggis Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 580
    Hi guys,

I have another doubt now about liquid cooling

I was buying this water http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30634 plus this dead water http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=30213

but in my city i can find standard distilled/demineralized waters for general purpose much cheaper (obvious i'll keep using here the dead water)

I'm wondering if there is a big difference in that WC distilled water to a standard distilled/demineralized waters ?

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

3. benqbiggis

benqbiggis Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 580
    hi guys

in each hole i connect the tubing from reser to push water ?

i'm afraid to &¨&¨#@ my pump pushing air

[​IMG]

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    That's why you prime it before hand. Usually when you fill the res, the water will trickle down into the pump.

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    first time you do it be prepared to add more liquid fast. the pump will get through the liquid/coolant very quick so you need to be there topping up as soon as is necessary.

also after a few mins you'll need to add more and then more when the air is flushed out.

can take a good 30+ mins to get the right level plus all the air out. maybe longer....

p.s i dont use coolant. i do use pt nuke.

p.p.s with hindsight i would have got the xspc dual drive bay res+pump but my dk5 pump + res combo does a good job. (even though have had a res crack and also the threads are tricky and I lose a lot of liquid due to evaporation).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  6. benqbiggis

benqbiggis Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 580
    guys

i was thinking to water block my two gtx580

my CPU and full mobo are already blocked with a MCR420-XP (quad) radiator and an Alphacool VPP655 (1500l/h) pump.

do you guys think this rad and pump can cooling fine ?
    this pump can flow water through this big loop ? this rad can cool the hot water ?

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

As long as the water is flowing the pump isn't going to make much difference. That pump is one of the better ones, it will be fine. I would consider adding at least another 240mm radiator.

8. benqbiggis

benqbiggis Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX 580
    do u mean a loop like this ?

reser > pump > CPU > mobo > 240 rad > GPU 2 > GPU 1 > rad quad >....

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yes. Though, it will make very little difference where you place the radiator. I would just place it where ever it fits conveniently.

10. pcgamers

pcgamers Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Hi Guys,

I hope sifus here can give me some guide for my custom WC setup since this is the most expensive setup I've ever build (actually 2nd time only ;p). The 1st time I'm doing WC was just a simple cpu loop not like this one.

My questions here:
    1. Can a D5 Vario dual bay pump/res handle my setup for a long run or I need another loop for better result?

2. At first I use RX360 to cool both my GPUs but 2nd 7970 runs 6-10deg hotter than my 1st GPU so I dont like it. Then I put another 120rad to cool my 2nd GPU however the temp wont improve at all :(. So should I keep the 120 rad or just remove it and use older setup with single 360rad for both GPUs?

3. Could you pls advise what is the best casing to setup a high end WC system? as I found HAF-X wasnt good enough for WC due to insufficient space for rads/res etc..

Thanks in advance :)

oh btw, here's my setup:

Pump/Res > EK360rad > CPU > RX360rad > GPU1 > TFC120rad > GPU2 > Pump/Res

picture:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    @pcgamers: can you please update us on the current status of your water loop? I'm interested to know what happened as I've built a similar loop but haven't put the 2nd 7970 in yet.

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thats a good price for the res and pump combined.
    Best pump you can get in my opinion (655), I have 2 of them:)

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    can see the water and its lvl now which is great. def recommend this combo although it was a toss up between this and the xspc with the laing d5 vario.

wish i had gone dual drive bay res in the first place, still i dont think the alphacool repack was out then..

p.s shop is midlands so is nice to support a local business. friendly guy as well.

15. Hav0q

Hav0q Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA Titan X
    I'm guessing the OP is out dated as to new products because I have read only good things about my XSPC D5V2 Pump and FluidXP Extreme.

16. fblackmore

fblackmore Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780 ti
    I'm having some doubts about watercooling, I already decided what components I will buy, I wanna know what's better for my system, one loop for the cpu and the two vgas or two separated loops and push n' pull is worth the extra noise?
    My pc will be an i7 4770, asrock z87 fatality killer, 4 corsair vengeance 1600 4gb modules, ocz fatality 1000. wc parts, two black ice gtx rads 360, the koolance pump/reservoir combo with two pmp 450s and a 24v controller, the cpu and gpu blocks will be koolance too, I do not decided which fans I'll buy.

17. GEARjmr

GEARjmr Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670x2 @ 2GB
    You're gonna need some high pressure fans for those Black Ice rads as they have a pretty high fin count...the lower the fin count the slower the fan you can use which means less noise. I currently have the same CPU and a Sabertooth Z87 mobo and my temps are great with a RX480 rad in a single loop.

18. Edamski

Edamski Guest

GPU:
    Palit 460 GTX 1gb
    Had a swift read through the front of this and it has made me wonder wether it's worth me bothering going water cooling haha

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Considering your specs, it would make more sense to sell your current cards and get more energy efficient newer video card. It will heat less and electricity bill will justify its cost on a long run.

20. eminaguil

eminaguil Member

GPU:
    Saphire 5700/Byksi
    Hi,
    I got I got a 280, 30mm depth, and two 120 radiators, one 30 the other 60 mm depth, is this enough for my i7 and two r9 290x. I can change the 120 slim for a 240 x 50 or replace my reservoir and add a second pump in serial. What change will be better for my loop?.

Thanks in advance.