Over 21 percent of Steam gamers is now using Windows 8.x

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ClexRex

ClexRex Guest

GPU:
    780 Classified / R9 290
    wow that spiked fast...I know several reasons for gamers to have upgraded in the last couple months but didn't think it would have impacted the numbers like that...im using 8.1 64 and asides from the metro...I use start8 its a solid os and very fast and stable for the most part and does handle some games a tad bit better.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm still not fond of these tests, because they're a poor representation of OSes outside of Windows. I would say 99% of all Steam users who run the software on something other than Windows also runs it on Windows. But you don't know what these % represent. Is this the total amount of logins? Is this based on what each individual user signed into last? Does this only count one sign-in per user? Is this based on total time signed in? Does it matter if you're in "offline mode"? And so on.

Also, the fact that "other OS" is so large suggests there is a flaw in the counting system.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Another thing that is odd in the latest survey is that AMD is loosing ground in the graphics segment intel is gaining but Nvidia is still the same.

5. ClexRex

ClexRex Guest

GPU:
    780 Classified / R9 290
    Also havto remember the mining craze is effecting AMD GPU's by a lot...in fact a lot of people sold their AMD gpu's when the prices sky rocketed and purchased NVidia and this is fact...

Also as the data could be more clear etc...it still shows Win7 clearly at 60% still so most folks are still using win7...I think the rescent spike in win8 is the small batteflield 4 issue where it simply runs a tad bit better than win7 also this is known for several other titles...and then the rescent Christmas and black Friday deals etc.

6. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Why on earth would they count number of logins?

For the survey purposes, Steam probably checks the IP-address or MAC of the computer along with what OS it's currently using. That way you can easily count people using multiple OS's with Steam. One people using both Windows and Linux would be counted once in both categories.

7. haughernaut

haughernaut Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB
    If you actually used Steam for any decent amount of time you would have known that they actually do a hardware survey. Randomly, when you log on you might be selected to do a hardware survey. They ask you if you have a microphone and how fast your internet is. After that, they run a system scan on your computer to check all your hardware and they scan all your running processes as well. They used to check to see what programs you also had installed(which when they did that showed that like over 60% of Steam users had torrent clients installed).

I believe you can trigger a hardware survey prompt by installing Steam on a new computer. As from having to reinstall Steam from reinstalling my OS a time or two I've been prompted to participate.

Nvidia AND AMD have both taken a small drop in percentage of user base as a larger number of Intel integrated graphics users have started using Steam.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  8. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I have my Steam games on my Windows 7 computer. I have some older Steam games like Half-Life 2 on my WinXP computer. But for some reason I cannot connect to Steam through my WinXP computer anymore. I think Steam support for WinXP is either gone or going away very soon.

As far as Windows 8 is concerned, I will use Windows 7 until I absolutely must switch to Windows 8 which will likely be sometime in 2020 if I remember correctly. Windows 8 support will end in 2023. Of course, who knows what the world will be like by then. Maybe we will all be playing head games using nano-chips embedded in our brains.

9. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Its strange that Valve even releases these numbers. To me these are very embarrassing numbers for them. They hate Windows 8, which is by far the second popular OS among their users and they push Linux which has popularity of 1/5 of Vista. LOL.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, Steam isn't good enough to determine Windows8.x market share for gamers....but it's the single reference for GPU sales that's accepted by so many on this forum.....even though the statistics reported by Steam are completely wrong. So, if it's acceptable for GPU user statistics, how is it now acceptable for Windows8.x user statistics? It still represents less than 25% of the world-wide PC market....regardless of the figures you're looking at.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Linux doesn't have a reason to gain popularity. There are very few AAA titles and of the ones that are available on Steam, most of them are only playable on nvidia.

Another thing to consider is while linux is pretty user friendly today (regardless of what desktop environment you use), its still very different from Windows. People hate change, and if Windows currently offers a greater gaming experience (as a whole), why would anyone want to switch?

I use linux regularly, and it is installed on all of my computers. However, anything beyond an indie game I will only play on Windows. Linux is catching up - the Intel and Nvidia drivers have already started to out-perform Windows, but it still needs more time until people have a compelling reason to dedicate their gaming computers to it.

12. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Installing Windows 8 tonight, will run a whole lot of steam on it.
    Wish I could've waited for the official release of 8.1... but I can't... I just can't.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Said it before and I say it again, if you look past the whole new metro menu stuff, it's slightly less of a resource hog then W7.

Not that W7 was such a giant resource hog, but why not go for improvement if it's possible?

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Because people are incapable of looking past the metro UI stuff? You don't see anyone complaining about the performance of 8, it's always the UI. I personally have no problems with it. With a keyboard its essentially no change from Windows 7. With a mouse it's slightly different and it took me a week to adjust too but after that I like it better.

15. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Not bad, I've had windows 8 on my laptop since... november 2012? then converted my main rig a few weeks after. On the other hand, while the metro ui stuff is not bad (imo) I still went for classic shell and been using it ever since :)

16. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    AMD's open source drivers have made a ton of progress in the last year too.

But there are like 7300 games for Windows, as opposed to 500 for Linux. So a difficult time indeed that Valve will have convincing gamers to use Linux. Even though I like Linux far more than Windows, and barley even use Windows anymore, even I know that Linux has alot going against it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  17. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Same here using dual boot with Windows 8.1 pro with start8 as my main OS and Win 7 as secondary mainly for some software compatibility issues.
    For me too it's a solid os and basically much faster than win 7 in everyday tasks.The way i see it it's like a fully optimized light weight win 7 under the hood with much better better usage of multiple threads and i like the fact that generally the colors are more vibrant on the desktop and in games too.
    There is no way i would give up win 7 and upgrade to win 8.1 now, the only reason that made me buy win 8 initially was the great deal they had (only 30 euros) on the upgrade version when it was first launched.
    As for the statistics showing of over 21% of steam users using windows 8.x. could be the fact that not everyone like us has the knowledge of building their own PC part by part and are buying pre-build pc's with Win 8.x.

18. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Well, the problem i think is the UI is not useful at all, i thought the type and search thing is good cos i use it mostly on my vista and windows 7 but it turns out the type and search function in windows 8 is limited that some control panel stuff is not searched and i have to search stuff from the control panel a lot as a workstation. Desktop wise, from what i saw, there are some clunky implementation that you can clearly see its for touch screen device which makes desktop user hate it even more yo go into the 'metro UI'.

19. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    I'm like some of the others. Been running with Start8 & Objectdock since May without any issues to speak of. Don't even know Metro is there.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Using classic shell here I really like 8.1.