Is Mantle exclusive to ATI/AMD or can future nvidia drivers adopt Mantle too?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dr_hycodan, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I wanted to put up a popcorn pic pages ago. you sure thats enough popcorn? I am partial to comedies so this thread delivers

2. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    popcorn guys want more show ? Better grab some extra popcorn, it will come...:banana::infinity:
    Just waiting for some dude to post.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Just an observation after read the entire thread. Either the Mantle fanboys in this thread have no idea how to multi-quote or Mantle makes them double post (maybe it one of the bugs in the beta drivers).

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    "thread vote added"

5. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    FTFY.

:cop:

:D

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Blah devs blah blah companies.

It could be instead...
    Major game developers worked with NVidia to create Glide4. It is an open system, usable by everyone for free. It makes it easier to programmers to create better graphics for lower powered systems (ie, most systems out there). Somehow, you find this to be a bad thing simply because NVidia was the lead on it.

And I still would be heavily against it. But it's not. So sorry if that makes me look biased.

Imagine this instead....
    Major game developers worked with Khronos Group to create OpenGL 5. It is an open system, usable by everyone for free, and was created to be used with any modern hardware right off the bat. It makes it easier to programmers to create better graphics for lower powered systems (ie, most systems out there).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  7. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    This thread never ends...in the end nVidia will support it and everybody will be happy!

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I won't be. I'm never satisfied.

9. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Capish!

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Capish is a question not an statement.

11. onthemour

onthemour Active Member

GPU:
    780 acx
    Mantle and amd are going to be the win in a couple of years. Nvidia will have no choice but to jump on it. They must be working on it right now. Consoles will go to it and the pc crossover will be simplified.

Thats just common sense.

Just talk to the game developers and you will understand. The consoles will become the movement in it all. PC gaming is falling out at this time and will continue

12. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Not at all, If they created such a thing and released it to all for free, I would support it. We both know NVidia has already said if they spend the time to create something they will make everyone pay them to use it, so your example fails. But if they did a 180 on it, I would support it.

Not what you wanted to hear, is it?

Sounds just like what happened with Mantle. But you hate AMD so you are against Mantle, even though it is easily fits what you just stated, above.

13. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Agreed, or at least I hope so. I prefer NVidia cards for my gaming machine.

You will have a happier life if you allow yourself to be satisfied with the things that make life better. Doubly so when it makes things better for other people without harming you at all...you know, what Mantle does. :)

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I was not saying that NVidia scenario toward you, just a copy and paste to demonstrate my own discontent if the tables were reversed because you accused me of being a fanboy. I hate any company that uses the guise of openness for their own gain.

You can pretend to put AMD and NVidia in different boats, but that's unrealistic. Khronos Group on the other hand has earned that sort of independent trust as a third party with no selfish interest other then making a good API for all GPUs. That is the difference between the three scenarios that seemed to go right over your head.

Other things make me happy. Aint no company going to. But companies are people in your own mind, so it makes sense for you.

15. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Of course you were saying that towards me, you quoted me and that was your response. If you are not responding to a post, you do not quote it. You quoted it, so you were responding. You just did not get a response from me you liked and are now backpedaling.

YOU are the one who posted the quote from NVidia about them not opening their work to others (on page 3), so YOU are the one who showed they are in completely different boats. Come now, at least remember what you yourself already posted.

Not at all. Your complaint simply has no weight to it. It matters not who created it as long as it is freely usable by all.

Seriously, your hatred of AMD is making you post some very silly things. I realize you are probably not an American (your English is pretty poor so it must not be your native tongue - no problems with that, before you take offense) so you have no idea about our laws. I suspect you are trying to make some reference to the US Persons definition in US Law. In the US, companies are classified as US Persons, not people. People are humans, companies are not human so they are not people. As US Persons, companies gain protective rights. A Frenchman, legally in the US, is also a US Person, which gives him rights as well. Imagine if companies did not have rights...the government could walk in and take everything in the building without a warrant and just cause. They could force companies to house troops. A great host of wicked things would be done...none of which any of us would want.

I hope you learned the difference between a US Person and people. Thus ends your civics lesson for today.

[​IMG]

16. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    I am hopeful that, in three months, NVidia will add Mantle support to the drivers. :)

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Good luck with that. Nvidia is either going to do nothing or come up with their own api. Either way I don't really care what they do.

18. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    "Most" people who own PC's don't play games either. Anyone playing games more advanced than the ones built into windows or lame flash games, knows whether or not they have an intel or AMD CPU or Intel/AMD/nV graphics.

the vast majority of PC owners are like my parents who use theirs for email, facebook, sharing photos, watching youtube, and in my dads case, graphics design.

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    What a load of malarkey. You can ignore that jab about fanboyism if you want. Read.

It could be instead...
    Major game developers worked with NVidia to create Glide4. It is an open system, usable by everyone for free. It makes it easier to programmers to create better graphics for lower powered systems (ie, most systems out there). Somehow, you find this to be a bad thing simply because NVidia was the lead on it.
    And I still would be heavily against it. But it's not. So sorry if that makes me look biased.

Why else would I have said that? Taking your own words, replacing them with NVidia, and still be just as upset about the prospect. In other words, because I guess 90% of this is going right over your head, it does not matter if it was NVidia doing what AMD is doing right now. It has nothing to do with AMD specifically, or NVidia, just that they both would, and do, have an obvious interest to made an API that best suites them and not another manufacturer. A criticism that even Microsoft would be free of in the same scenario.

With that done, lets recap what I said on page 3
    Read this.
    Translation: We could use OpenGL. But we wont. We spent the money on the R&D, and we want to see the benefit first. Remind you of a statement from NVidia?
    If you can't comprehend that I was making a comparison on how both companies behave the same when they have a product to promote, then there is no helping you. You just won't get it.

And I laughed at that last part. The forums themselves tell you where people are from if they fill in the information. Expecting me to write in a college essay format is ridiculous, I write better then the average forum poster I dare say. In fact, we live in the same state.
    But I would have guessed otherwise. It's so funny because if you actually lived here you would know we say and write down one thing and do another. If you had not been living under a rock for the past decade you would know there is a push by a certain party to essentially treat companies as if they were people. And a particular relativity important person has been made famous for his quote "Companies are people my friend". Which was what I was referring to. You seem to think that if AMD takes NVidia's 'calling the shots' position they will not behave just as NVidia has in the past, which is delusional.

And I win once again. Don't feel bad, it happens a lot. I just can't get over how amazing I am. A saint really, just trying to help poor lost fools.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  20. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Not true.

Correct, but that does not negate what I said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.