First look at Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Jun 6, 2013.

1. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I recommend you to stay in Win7.
    Win 8 and 8.1 are crap for the PC environment. Why do you think in Guru3d, Techpowerup, Anandtech and many prestigious websites are still using Windows 7 for your tests?

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Uuh.... because they can? I'm sorry, but i've been using Windows 8 (and now 8.1) since it was originally released, and would never even look back at Windows 7. The only thing that makes me think about going back to 7 is the fact that it was easy to play a BluRay movie in Windows Media Player. But there are other programs for that. So no, not going back to 7. And saying it's "crap" simply because review sites don't use it on their benchmark system is absurd.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Is it possible to synchronize the metro accent colours with the desktop colour? Currently the desktop theme is a shade of yellow because of the wallpaper but the metro rubbish is a shade of blue :-/

4. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I can list two very nice 'plug and play' type experiences I've had in form of pics, reply and i'll post pics laters.
    no biggie, I was impressed though, I've mentioned one of them previously.

5. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    my windows 8.1 system started acting up last week. it was taking about 2 minutes to shutdown or reboot. kept hanging on shutting windows or restarting windows. and no HDD activity.

event logs wasnt helpful

just said app took 3000 milliseconds to shutdown. but doesnt state which app.

I managed to fix it with a work around using registry settings to shorting the wait time for programs to shutdown. and now it shuts down normal again.

the only things I installed when it started happening was visual 2010 express with the service pack and updates. and directx sdk

one thing that did happen was when it installed visual 2010 and updates, for some reason the update rollup kb2911106 was removed and I had to tell it to reinstall the update.

after that it started having the shuting down and rebooting issues.

chkdsk and sfc /scannow comes back clean. and no virus or malware

in windows 7, I installed visual 2010 express and directx sdk and had no problems.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    well, you could go into the Customize menu in the Start screen and change the background and accent colors of that to some shade of yellow... but i don't know of any way to synchronize them completely to change when one or the other changes.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^^ I didn't think so too. Oh well.

Windows 8 keeps bugging me every now and then that there are new apps that can open this type of file. I just created a new Word document and boom .. it appears again. Sometimes when I open a jpeg and it randomly appears again. What is triggering it and how do I suppress it?

8. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Only thing i can think of is maybe turning notifications off? Or going into the settings and setting the default apps. I'm not sure, really.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ok, I'll try the notifications thing. Default apps is among the first things I change on 8.x so I doubt it is that.

10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    here's a couple of neat things I discovered, the first I've mentioned.

[​IMG]
    no drivers needed.

[​IMG]
    imo impressive. :)

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The notification that I have other apps installed popped up again while I was choosing a new bmp file for use in classic shell :-/ I ended up disabling the damned notification in group policy. This brings my post installation tweaks to windows 8 to over a dozen. Meh but whatever. At least the current windows team is working on improving the UX.

12. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I didn't tweak 8.1 preview and I've not tweaked the pro,i dunno what the fuss is about, perhaps cause I totally ignored the nightmare that was win 8?

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8.1 and 8.0 are fundamentally the same. If you can't get it now, you won't later.

Edit; I made a checklist in Word since there are so many changes to make now. I'll post it here for reference if you are curious.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    excellent, Lucidus, I found another nice thing about 8.1, will post couple screenies laters.
    not razer game booster related but razer synapse. I've pretty much given it away. :p

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    What do you mean with this ?

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  17. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah it blocks ads and known bad sites. It's very useful for the laptop used by my parents as they use IE but I still do it for my own.