AMD Catalyst 14.1 BETA 1.6 (13.350.1005.0 January 31)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Feb 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    wow this post was so insightful

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    60Hz screen and VSync? Seems exactly what you should get with your HW and settings.

Better luck next time with understanding your choice of options. Would like to see those ugly Mantle images.

Mantle has its flaws for now, but they are quite different than you describe them.

3. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    You look with the wrong ways, it is rendering time or processing time. ;)

4. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    I think its funny that ppl expect PERFECT performance from a beta...ITS A BETA...aka NOT FINISHED...aka NOT TWEAKED...give them some time...at least its OUT, 2 days late..but hey..its out. Nothing is ever perfect on the 1st try...some bugs ARE acceptable...it works at least...to some extent..they promised a beta..we got a beta...they didnt promise a finished product...if you want that promise..to go EA/Dice...and then receive an alpha candidate :p IF that. It works for me, theres bugs...more than expected. but it works and there ARE obvious gains. So lets wait and watch them get it tweaked. :)

5. bwat47

bwat47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    With dx11 renderer I always drop down to 40-50 fps on certain spots on the more intensive maps like seige of shanghai. With mantle I get a MASSIVE increase in *minimum* fps.

DX11
    http://s22.postimg.org/y0j8o86v3/Screenshot_Win32_0004.png [s12.postimg.org]

Mantle:
    http://s22.postimg.org/qlyi9ladb/Screenshot_Win32_0005.png [s23.postimg.org]

That's about double the fps!

And this is on a 280x which apparently isn't even optimized yet according to the driver release notes.. I do get some annoying random stuttering with the mantle renderer though, and with the mantle render triple buffering seems to be broken (with vsync enabled it will often drop from 120 to exactly 60 fps, which is half my refresh rate, its fine with vsync disabled). I didn't get any crashes or stability issues, which suprised me. For an early beta of a new low level api it seems pretty good.

Some people are being absurdly negative. For the first beta release of an all new api/driver this is not bad.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. pereprimus

pereprimus Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte r9-290x oc
    For those who have framedrop issues, activating triple buffering solve this problem it seems, i've played with these drivers all day and saw some stuff:
    1. Triple buffering eliminate the frame drop in bf4 it seems
    2. Changing the ram (adding ram) provoke one performance decrease need to reinstall the drivers to have performancd back
    3. Install this with admin right or it'll lose perf at restart
    4. Directx apps also gets a boost (small but a boost of 2-3 fps)
    5. These drivers don't like uber mode in r9 290x (loss of fps) so gpu overclocking would not work as expected.

7. bwat47

bwat47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    For me bf4's triple buffering seems to be totally broken with the mantle renderer. i.e. even if I manually enable it in console and/or user.cfg it acts like double-buffered vsync and drops from 120 to 60 fps when it can't maintain 120 (And BF4 uses triple buffering by default anyway). With the dx11 renderer that doesn't happen, and mantle renderer performs fine when I disable bf4's vsync.

8. pereprimus

pereprimus Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte r9-290x oc
    I had framedrop every 30 sec something like that and triple buffuring totaly erased that but i'm playing on 60hrtz screen so 60 fps is a perfect match for me

9. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Woah what an improvement... especially in Siege. I would never have under 30 FPS with Mantle, even in Siege.... sigh...

10. Dexter_prog

Dexter_prog Member

GPU:
    HIS R9 270X IceQ X² turbo
    not sure what you mean by that :/

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    The lag spikes are indicitive of extended frame render times, not nessiarily a loss in overall fps.

He saying to look at it from that point of view, as FPS isnt helpful when analyzing it.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yeah, the spike is basically a freeze.

13. putino

putino Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD Radeon 8970M / 4gb
    These are my results:

Map - Paracel Storm 64 players

FPS
    Minimum: 4.3 fps
    Maximum: 183 fps
    Average: 93 fps

This is a graph of my GPU/CPU load:

[​IMG]

And this is the FPS graph during the battle:

[​IMG]

My configuration

(Yes, I'm on a laptop!)

14. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    Well we live in the age of entitlement, if it isnt NOW, then you are entitled to bitch about it 300% and tweet 200 obscenities/hour at those that prolly dont even deserve it. Thats how things are this day/age.

15. Dexter_prog

Dexter_prog Member

GPU:
    HIS R9 270X IceQ X² turbo
    thanks, didn't know about that.

16. Madcow_Ollie

Madcow_Ollie Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X Crossfire
    they still have'nt fixed vsync issue with crossfire.. i still get alotta static noises when i enable crossfire and vysinc.. havent been playing skyrim because of that :(

17. AxelL

AxelL Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX1080
    A read, that turning off the motion blur effect reduces the gains significantly even though that shouldn't be a CPU calculated effect, and mantle suppose to help in those situations. So maybe star swarm is a little manipulated, and the results should be taken with a grain of salt if you consider real life performance improvements in games in the future.

18. Zabo

Zabo Guest

GPU:
    HD7770
    Can you explain point 2 please?

19. pereprimus

pereprimus Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte r9-290x oc
    All i know is that i have 18 - 20 fps more with bf4, that game has been patched so we could think that "native" mantle games will have the same increase. We'll see but to me it is a very good thing

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Oxides implmentation of motion blur is not the same as other games.

They use some crazy hollywood technique that up till this point wasnt available in Dx.