Can't set core voltage in AfterBurner | 2x 7950 Sapphire Dual-X Boost Ed.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RyuBlade94, Jan 30, 2014.

1. RyuBlade94

RyuBlade94 Guest

GPU:
    2xSapphire 7950 Dual-X
    Hi everyone. I'm having an issue with afterburner. I have 2 7950 (sapphire dual-x boost edition, both). Until now i've overclocked using trixx, which lets me change everything (core, memory, voltage, power limit) without any problem. Anyway now that i got my second gpu i need to switch to afterburner, because trixx doesn't seems to handle a dual gpu custom fan profile, thing that afterburner can handle with no problems. The problem about afterburner, anyway, is that is doesn't let me change the core voltage for the gpu. I've tried everything: setting the right settings in afterburner, editing the cfg file in the afterburner installation folder, but nothing seems to work so far. Can someone please help me fixing this, so that i'll be able to control fan profile and overclock all in the same software (now i'm using both trixx to overclock and msi to set the right fan curve, but i want to use a single software)? I already disabled upls (even from registry), enabled voltage control, reinstalled 13.30 drivers (with clean install), tryed to revert back to msi afterburner beta 17 and 13.12 stable drivers, but no luck so far. I really don't know what to try anymore. Please help me.. Thanks to everyone.

2. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    If you know where do you want the voltage, why don't you get VBE7, download bios with gpu-z, edit, flash, done in 5 min top.

3. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    are you trolling ?

4. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Nope. This is the way I set my voltages, got just about enough of all the half working utilities. Not an option if you want constantly to jump to a different voltage settings, but if you found the sweet spot and want it there, then edit the bios and set it in stone.

5. RyuBlade94

RyuBlade94 Guest

GPU:
    2xSapphire 7950 Dual-X
    I overclock only when i need it, so i need to change voltages on the fly. It would be useless to me flashing a bios with a fixed voltage.

6. naXy

naXy Guest

GPU:
    HD 7950 3 GB
    also a 7950dual-x here
    only trixx can change voltage for me and even then latest versions of trixx force the 3d voltage (even if u uncheck force constant voltage) on idle.

4.4.0b mod trixx only version that doesn't do that and that version doesn't show you steps of voltage, its all a mess really.
    Also no vrm temps or memory voltage on this card, sad really since it has hynix AFRs (good mem chips locked on low volt).

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sapphire is using a 3rd party voltage regulator that is not supported by MSI AfterBurner. Best thing you can do is contact Sapphire and ask for better support in Trixx.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ahhhh can't you try to mix the apps one for voltage the other for fan control did you even try that yet?

9. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    There are several different "profiles" in the bios, like idle/desktop, movies, 3d gaming, etc. If you need to OC only when playing games, then bios editing is still the best bet.

10. RyuBlade94

RyuBlade94 Guest

GPU:
    2xSapphire 7950 Dual-X
    So it's not possible to use AfterBurner, for me.. any other software that would let me set a custom fan profile for both the cards at the same time AND change the voltage?

Are there any risks of bricking the gpu with this method?

11. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Unless you do something stupid, no. Considering you have already tested at what voltages/frequencies the card are stable for you and works for what you want to do, just enter that value in the boxes and doublecheck you have not entered something like 2V for the vcore :)
    A small note, voltage takes an effect after power down the system, restart does not do it, so once you flash, power it down.
    Also, when using atiflash, it is a bit hard to tell which card is which so you may load wrong bios, but does not matter much unless your 7950s are different, so you might as well do it card by card (by pulling one off) if you are afraid.

12. RyuBlade94

RyuBlade94 Guest

GPU:
    2xSapphire 7950 Dual-X
    Actually i don't know if it's important or not, but i've noticed that the cards have a different bios, so i'd prefer anyway understand which card is which, so that i flash their own modified bios.
    Also, do i have to disable crossfire before doing this, or it doesn't change anything if i leave it enabled?

13. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Yeah it is usually best to use each card's own bios. Tbh just take one of the cards out of the case, mod and flash the other, then switch them, safest one, you will lose as much time figuring which is which if you try to do it with both in.

Edit: you can try doing it with atiwinflash directly from windows, but my experience with it is kinda so-so, can flash the card twice, then fail to do it 10 more times, or fail to start, or taking forever... so a bootable usb with atiflash (takes about a minute to make, there is a guide just google for atiflash) makes the flashing in about 2 seconds.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014