R9 290x Black Screen Crash

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nickrorschach, Nov 4, 2013.

1. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Exactly the problem I was having. Switched to 2 cables for each card on my two R9 290's and black screens were gone.

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Funny that, as if the issue was down to power supplies, then why did AMD release a driver to fix the problem. :p

3. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Well, there was indeed a black screen issue before, I had it solved with those drivers though.

4. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Yeah it wasn't my psu, I have a Seasonic-X850w and was running sli 680gtx's before that first 290x I had which was black screening all over the place.

And now I have this msi 290 using the same psu and cables and oh look no blackscreens.

5. palak

palak Guest

GPU:
    Xfx 290x
    My theory is it is a combination of things. First the video card at max load pulls 225+W which maxes out the 75W PCI and 150W single rail. Second AMD (according to a guy on over clock who did low level bios checks) has ram timings which rely on voltage for calculations. Third, maybe, there is a hardware error with some boards ram chips. So the black screen I think is caused by the following scenario. Video card running at full speed causes the ckabke AMD rail to max put which causes voyage to fluxuate. The GPU ram timings calculate during the fluctuating voltage. The calculations eventually mess up which leads to a black screen.

This would mean it can be a software fix if they change how the calculations r done, or change the power draw, or change the ram. So some people have cards with ram that is very unlikely to hit the bad calculation during fluctuating voltage, some have ram that hits it instantly.

6. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    news flash card can pull way more than 225w

can pull even more than 300w

takes 75w through the pci-e 16x slot 150w from 8 pin an 75w from 6 pin, however these are just rated specification meaning card can draw more than rated

I've had single card eating 420-450w on it's own

So yeah they can draw way more than specifications state given right conditions

7. palak

palak Guest

GPU:
    Xfx 290x
    Sorry should have been more specific. Draws 225 at stock, going by the chart on tomshardware of power draw for the card. When the ramped up fan settings though it pulled 295. So yes it can pull a lot more given what fan settings are used or overclocking.

8. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    If your board has extra plug for adding power to PCIE then i'd say plug it in and see how it goes. Seems to have helped some people.

9. palak

palak Guest

GPU:
    Xfx 290x
    Well just passed a small stability test i've literally never passed before. Booted computer after having off all night, loaded up AC4, ran with nonstop motion occurring on screen for 2 hours straight with no crashes. Not a very full proof test, but a really good sign for me.

10. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Guest

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb
    I had black screen problems (and BSOD , screen freeze too) with Asus R290. I have a decent Seasonic X /50W . and black screen did also occur while on desktop , so i don't think it is a powersupply problem , at least not in my case.

I just sent it to RMA . I don't think its a driver problem either. Some kind of a hardware bug , hope they replace it.

11. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Fixed with 14.1:

"Black screen happened after wake up the monitor".

Awesome, I was having that issue once in a while. :D

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Could be down to the clocks jumping up and down all the time, so try locking them with Afterburner like ive done now, as ive had 2x blackscreens followed by a BSOD now (a week apart), could game and bench fine (although noticed while gaming the clocks constantly jumping up and down, anywhere from 600 core to 900+ core, benches were unaffected, ran full clocks in those), got first blackscreen and BSOD just by closing Steam after a download finished, the other i got just by closing down FF.

Can test by opening the CCCs Overdrive and your browser, then in your browser, just start scrolling up and down with the mouse wheel, and watch those clocks bounce all over the shop.

Could be the cause, so ive locked the clocks in Afterburner to test, which i only started yesterday, so will see how it goes, as my 2x blackscreens and BSODs were a week apart as said, could be caused by the massive spikes/drops you get sometimes, as i could jump from about 302 core, to over 650+, was very erratic.

I set up 2x profiles in Afterburner, one at the lowest clocks of 515/625 (which is the lowest the Afterburner sliders go), which i use for me idle clocks (Desktop stuff), and the other @ me full clocks for when i game, and all i do is switch between the 2x, and the clocks never move, locked solid @ what i set to. :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  13. Eluron

Eluron Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Tri-X
    I have a Sapphire 290 Tri-x and it crash randomly, sometimes I just get the "driver stop working" message but usually it's the windows blue memory dump screen.

This never happens while playing games or leaving the pc idle but watching videos or webs, so the problem can be the clocks/voltages instability at low use as Rich_Guy says. I don't want to touch anything that can void my warranty, so I'll wait to some drivers or GPU bios update before send it to RMA.

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I noticed if i just sat on the desktop not doing anything, and just had the CCCs Overdrive open, the core clock would only go anywhere from 300 to 315, but it wasn't constant, it was like a good few seconds before it jumped up a bit/dropped back down, but when i opened a program, or browsed the net, it would go berserk, constantly spiking up and down, anywhere from the 300 to over 650+, very erratic.

With me only getting the 2x from either closing down FF, or finishing a Steam download before closing that down, i thought, maybe when i closed them down @ that time, i got a major spike and drop, and thats why i got the blackscreen/BSOD @ those times, as as i said, i could game, bench fine, could even leave it just sitting on the dektop for hrs if id gone out with no problems also, so seemed to me, to point to the erratic behaviour of the clocks when doing something, so hopefully thats it, and now with the clocks locked solid, ill get no more, just have to wait and see. :p

15. user290asus

user290asus Guest

GPU:
    r9 290
    Good evening everybody, last ones driver in date, (14.1) always the same problems black screens and reboot, reboot in a row, the same problems, on the office(desk) it is the worst even without playing, my card(map) died I believe.??
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Texte d'origine Ecoutez le texte source
    bonsoir tout le monde, derniers driver en date, (14.1) toujours les mêmes problèmes écrans noirs et reboot, reboot de suite , les mêmes problèmes, sur le bureau c'est le pire même sans jouer, ma carte est morte je crois .??

merci ;)

16. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Guest

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb
    looks like a hardware failure. I would just send it to RMA.

17. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Black screen on reboot is a bad driver install.

Did you uninstall your last drivers before installing 14.1, it was recommended by AMD to do so.

Download DDU, boot into safe mode, uninstall the drivers, reboot and install drivers.

18. Eluron

Eluron Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Tri-X
    Something weird, I have changed the position of the BIOS switch and there has not been crashes for 2 days, I'll continue testing...

It's a 290 so the BIOS is supposed to be the same.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    May have been set to the UEFI and Legacy BIOS as default (like my MSi), so you may have now switched to just the Legacy BIOS.

I have read that when some have switched from the UEFI/Legacy, to just the Legacy BIOS, that has cured their blackscreen probs, so it is worth trying.

20. Eluron

Eluron Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Tri-X
    Hmm didn't know that it switches between legacy and UEFI mode, they should indicate that in the card box!

This explains my problem then, because my old motherboard doesn't have UEFI BIOS. You should try this (if you haven't already) seeing that your pc is similar to mine.