OCZ Vertex 460 SSD review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    OCZ Storage Solutions today releases their new Vertex 460 SSD series, we review it. The new Vertex 460 being tested is based on the latest revision Barefoot controller and now runs Toshiba NAND flash ...

OCZ Vertex 460 SSD review

2. ssduser

ssduser Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX960 2GD5
    Additional testing

This is in regards to ocz_vertex_460.

Let me explain. I and others had owned the vector, which is barefoot3, had power failure "power outage from power company" the vector no longer worked. corrupt files system ect. And the reviews are all over newegg, forums everywhere.

There are two ways to kill a vector to my knowledge.
    A)Power failure.
    B)Mydefrag program/ flash memory disk option / tick the selected ssd / Run. Let it finish. Ccleaner / Tools / Drive Wiper / Free space only / Simple Overwrite (1 pass) / Tick the selected SSD / Click Wipe. Let it finish. Reboot. On reboot, with Win7, you should see bunch of corrupt files / corrupt filesystem ect. Power off the system. UEFI will no longer detect the vector, vector is dead.

I would love to see you guys purposely cause power failures over and over with a system that is running this ocz_vertex_460 and follow the exact steps provided in section A) & B).

Not just this ssd, but for all future testing of all your ssd reviews.

This is a great idea and please consider adding this to your testings.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    What you have described is totally bizarre, ssduser. "A" is something that any consumer-level storage device is susceptible to - yes, they should be more resilient. "B" is just bizarre. If you write over free space only what files are you checking for corruption? And how would this simulate any possible usage scenario? I have written over a Vertex 2 and Vector using AIDA64 and manually with actual files and performed MD5 checksum with no issues on either. Any reviewer would be crazy to implement such a bizarre testing setup.

4. ssduser

ssduser Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX960 2GD5
    B isn't bizarre at all. B just optimizes the ssd and then wipes the MFT&free space. I've killed two vectors this way, thinking the first was just a bad apple, when the second went, I knew there was a problem with the vector. AIDA64 isn't "(B)" so your AIDA64 thing is irrelevant. No reviewer is crazy if they implement this kind of testing. Mydefrag optimizes the SSD, moving files to best performance the ssd, then what ever files left an empty space, cuz they got moved, gets wipes with ccleaner. I do this with all my HDD's and my vertex2.

"what files are you checking for corruption?"
    If you read, "On reboot, with Win7," and read all over, many many stories of, "i just rebooted, got a bunch of corrupt files, vector disappeared." So i don't know where you got "are you checking", the human doesn't check for anything.

IMHO, your entire post is irrelevant and doesn't even provide any benefit.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014