Consoles dictate PC gaming now *rant*

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Serotonin, Dec 10, 2013.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Great post man:thumbup:

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Slightly higher quality months after console release? What have you been playing?

3. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I have three computers...zero consoles. But wait! Hear me out, too.

Imagine this....

You're ready to play a game. You have a HOTAS for control. The joystick has a thumbstick for the mouse plus about 15 other buttons (some with duel commands via a shift button). The throttle adds an additional dozen or so buttons for additional controls.

You also have a headset with a microphone. You use the microphone to speak commands that software translates into keyboard macros. With this you can interact with the AI in addition to talking to friends during online gameplay if that's your cup of tea. You have the potential for 30, 40, even 100 commands at your fingertips.

Simply put, consoles are not designed for anything like this. Granted, most people aren't interested in this type of immersion so there's no money in it. I suppose I'm lucky to have lived through the period when what I describe above was readily available and there were dozens of titles to play using it. I still have this setup on many of my games.

My point is the gaming industry, driven by the average player (which in any survey will make up the bulk of the bell curve) has consolidated (no pun intended) the types of games developed down to less than a dozen. So even though you are right that consoles are currently king of the hill, the games you are now allowed to play are all crap by comparison to what is possible if it weren't for everyone's obsession with the almighty buck. Awesome graphics? Is that all the matters? Apparently the average player equates realistic gameplay to how the game looks and nothing else. Very sad to see so many people out there with no capacity to contrast and compare making our decisions for us.

That is my perspective on all this.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No, no they're not. They're designed for the user-base that likes simple setup and play hassle free gaming.

If you want deep and intricate, get a girlfriend.

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Anybody who wants a deep and intricate girlfriend needs to step away from the console and get out more.

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I like consoles for their simplicity. I'm 32. I'm over the tweaking, the drivers, the patches, the bugs, modding, mods breaking, tweaking the mod more to be just right, I just want to throw a disc in and play. And for many reasons, one I'm 32 and have too many other things going on. Work, the woman, football playoffs currently, friends, etc. When I have small amounts of down time, I just want to play. The last few times I fired up my PC I ended up tweaking and messing with the game and it's settings and never getting around to playing the actual game (crysis 3).

If you're younger or for whatever reason have more time to put into a PC and it's capabilities for gaming then I can see your reason to be biased. But my post was more from a graphics aspect as that always seems to be the focus between the two comparing differences. A game like Half-Life 2 was insanely over the top compared to anything on console, or even, the original crysis. Now - what do you have? You have the same game engine that's on a console running a game with some dx11 frosting on top of the cake and PC elitists bragging about that expensive frosting.

It's just not worth it or even worth the bragging anymore to me.

That's all I'm trying to say. The line between PC and console has blurred to the point that I don't see why PC gamers feel so elite and special anymore. It's become an expensive box that plays ports visually a little bit better.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  7. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    Great Post!:thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  8. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I just like the versatility of my pc. I have my computer hooked up to my 42" tv with a 28" monitor on the side for my dual screen. All my movies and music (plus google all access) make for the perfect htpc, I have all my games and web browser.....Its perfect. I just sit on the couch with my keyboard in my lap and have one of those large hard mouse pads that just sits next to me and is very comfy to use as well. Hooked up to my 5.1 surround sound (and wireless logitech headphones/mic)-its epic. If I play a game that is better suited for a controller, i just plug in my wired xbox controller and play the game that way. The freedom of it is so nice.

I dont have that many problems with games these days. Sure a few launch titles get borked for a week, but I just wait for the Steam sales to get good games for super cheap and by then all the bugs are worked out. This way I can have the best of both worlds without compromising. Modding is pure choice, with the exception of crap ports that NEED it (such as dark souls).

I dont mind consoles mind you, i just really really hate how limited they are. Hate fps games with a controller and how they cant play half of your media if they are not the right format. Sorry, im not ripping my entire blu-ray collection to .avi or divx instead of .mkv.

Most of my friends that are pc gamers are primarily console gamers and have their pc's for certain games. My best buddy plays a TON of Dota2 and SC2 so obviously he has a nice pc for that and refuses to give up his kb+m for fps games, but still has a console for when he has friends over. Another friend mainly plays WoW and LOVES BL2 on pc over his ps3. But he is mainly on his ps3. Like i said, im just bridging the gap. Thats just me IMO.

Not everyone can hook up their pc to their tv but if you can, its well worth it. I will still get a PS4 when the price comes down a bit and the exclusives are actually worth it (Destiny)

9. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    I really don't know where this "little bit better" is coming from. It's literally the difference between DVD and Blu-ray in most instances, and that's ignoring the framerate (which is my main problem, a good example being Fifa 14 on my Xbox One which JERKS LIKE CRAP in replays and set pieces which makes me feel physically ill). Once you get used to 1080p/60, it's very hard to go back to 720p/<30. Sadly I've been used to that since 2007 so it's extra depressing to see the next-gen consoles fail utterly to get even up to that antiquated standard just as the PC accelerates towards 4k, 120hz, VR etc. Even Forza 5, which is actually 60fps as far as I can tell, has ~<30fps on the mirrors which is really really really distracting. I use my XboxOne for Peggle 2, and Powerstar Golf (which I pray each and every day gets a PC port so it looks and runs infinitely better). Ryse impressed me, mind. That's pretty *and* runs reasonably well. Good work Crytek.

CDJay

10. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    As for tweaking etc, Windows 8 seems to maintain itself pretty much without incident and if you have a Geforce Card you'll get notifications of driver updates and you can do the whole "optimise game" thing and pretty much ignore it.

Yes, it costs more than a console. The games cost a lot less, so if you're buying even 10 games a year you'll break even on the upfront platform investment fairly quickly. It does, to no small degree, come down to timing that investment for maximum longevity so I'm urging people to wait until the end of the year if possible as I'm fairly sure that broadwell/haswell-e/Maxwell etc will offer precisely that across the price spectrum.

CDJay

11. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    Why dd you even bother to buy a next-gen console. Did the curiosity get the better of your PC snobbery? I have been a pc gamer for over 20 years but my respect for console gaming has never diminished.

12. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Im 38, almost 39, really busy.

I game on PC almos all days.

Laptop (on the move, office) -> "cofeebreak" roguelikes, silly casuals, old games, etc

Home-> At the couch , steam Big Picture, xbox controller and laptop (no donwtime)

-> Gaming PC only wakes when I want to play some games I cant on the couch / laptop

I spend 0 time on modding, bugs, , drives , etc, etc

I have no (modern) consoles and yet I get the "console" type of gaming.

If a PC game is buggy or needs care / tweaking to play , just move along
    and play some other game.

I guess it all comes down to how to set up your environment.

I am sure that PC gaming is less expensive than console gaming, by far
    Just take into account indie bundles, bundles , steam sales, sales, etc
    and you will realize that your Total Cost of Ownership per game you play is
    way less than on the consoles world, way less.

Not to say if you are into expanding your gameplay experience with mods.

13. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    I've owned the last gen consoles, and the most played game by a mile was Lumines Live on the 360. I had the PS3 as a Blu-ray player until I got a standalone. It's not really snobbery, when the 360 came out stuff like Fight Night seemed ahead of where the bulk of PC titles were at the time. That really, really isn't true of this round where most are multiplatform titles that are *already* markedly better on even a year old mid range gaming PC. For the price of a matching graphics card you are fairly assured to be able to run any of the multi plat titles at 1080p/60 with everything dialled up which is no bad thing.

I'll probably end up with a PS4 for some platform exclusive title, not to mention 4k streaming which is why I suspect Sony haven't rolled that 4k server out to markets beyond the States.

Typically new console launches are bad news for PC gaming, but I'm not at all sure that's true this time around. They feel like catch up, have a currently small install base... who can tell what'll happen this time around. One thing we should all be fairly sure of is that the intended 7 years life-cycle is laughable. There will be TABLETS that can outperform either of them in 2.

CDJay

14. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    I agree with this post.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Really, are we actually going down this path again of who's is bigger, come on, it's 2014 not 2005. lol

16. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    PC will still be always better, I don't see a PS4 or Xbox do downsampling for instance.
    They can't even hold a decent framerate on games that run @ 1080p.
    Some games don't even run at a decent resolutions and get upscaled.
    And your fooled into believing this is next gen.

The amount off options you have available on the PC to enhance your graphics incomparable to consoles. (AA settings, AO settings, upscaling, FXAA, sweetFX, etc)

Console users just don't care, or don't see the difference. :stewpid:
    Consoles are just about ease of use, and PCs are more the opposite. :stewpid:

I hope this hurts a little, console users. (except those that also have a PC and use it for gaming)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  17. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Ugh. Your post has nothing to do with the topic. No one here, myself included since I made this thread ever said PC's aren't more powerful.

The entire point is without consoles, PC's don't have those 3rd party games to make prettier. Get it? No? Not surprised. :bang:

18. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti

your forgetting that 90% if not more of "pc gamers" have never heard or have no idea what half of those things are. Most of my friends who play pc games dont even change any graphic options except for resolution and maybe vsync and are content with just that. Most just dont care, and just want to play the game. People on forums like these are the few and far between, the ultra rare, the lost link to the past. We care because we know the difference and maybe hardcore pc guys are just all really OCD or something lol. But most people DO NO GIVE A FLYING FRENCH TOAST.

Sad but true. I just have both, that way I can play console exclusives and pc games. Problem solved.

19. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    It is sad but true. Even forum traffic and members seem to be much lower than 10 years ago on these kind of forums. It's a lost art, a niche market. :(

20. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    It's people like us who get IT/CS/CE degrees and get jobs instead of complaining to mommy about the next Halo release.