Intel adds new performance Mobile CPUs like Core i7-4940MX

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Geeze, $1096 for a mobile CPU !
    The i7-4910MQ @ +- half the price is a better option imo.

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    While I'd rather opt for i7-4910MQ over i7-4940MX, as you suggested, I can still see it as a viable option.
    Extreme CPU, while overpriced, allow overclocking. So if a laptop manufacturer opts for mobo, bios, and cooling that allow overclocking, it may have sense. If I remember correctly, some Alienware (and perhaps other) laptops allowed quite a lot of OC. In such case, you pay for computing power significantly greater than specs would suggest.

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, high end CPU's are always super expensive, it almost seems exponential! It's never the value purchase.

5. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Aah yes i forgot that the "X" is an extreme edition which i obviously the main reason for the huge price difference. In that case then yes it might be worth it for some, personally i think it will be very challenging to keep that chip cool on a high over-clock though.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    What gain does intel have with price points like these? These prices aren't attractive to anyone - if they want to help declining PC sales, maybe they need to stop beating the dead horse that is AMD and start giving people reasons to buy x86 over ARM. With quad and octa core tablets and phones, the average person doesn't need anything much better. Intel is in their own idiotic world if they think they're going to "win" by acting like their price point is reasonable - $9 billion in PROFITS clearly shows they don't even know what to do with the money. For a company that prides in being "innovators of tomorrow", proportionate to their income, they're by far the least innovative of their competitors. AMD, nvidia, Samsung, TI, and arguably even VIA have all done something to change their strategy to meet with the new age of products, but Intel continues to tread the exact same path with minor tweaks for years. Then, they whine about why nobody wants to use them for phones and tablets.

7. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    I see Intel is continuing their confusing naming scheme for their mobile processors.

Desktop i7 49xx model = 6 cores with HT
    Dekstop i7 48xx model = 4 cores with HT

Laptop i7 49xx model = 4 cores with HT
    Laptop i7 48xx model = 4 cores with HT
    Laptop i7 46xx model = 2 cores with HT
    Laptop i5 43xx model = 2 cores with HT

Laptop Celeron 29xx model = 2 cores.

Any time I order laptops, I always have to go look up the specific CPU model numbers because the naming scheme of the laptop processors is so retarded.

The numbering scheme should be the same across Desktop and Laptop processors.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The naming scheme is based on instructions, not number of cores. The number scheme... I have no idea - I too find it asinine. A laptop dual core i7 has the same instruction sets as a desktop 6 core, even though it could be slower than a desktop i3. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is I thought HT was technically a special instruction, so I'm not sure why the mobile i5 has HT while the desktop version doesn't.

Anyway that being said, assuming you have a laptop with a discrete GPU, you can probably get nearly equal performance out of a dual core i3 with HT as you can with a dual core i7 with HT. Most (not all) laptops can't really take advantage of an i7's bonus instructions.