Monitor upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by brutlern, Jan 14, 2014.

1. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    After much googling and comparing, I decided on one of two 24" models.

BenQ GL2460 or LG 24EA53VQ-P

Both are 24", the BenQ is TN panel but 2 ms GTG response time, the LG is only 5 ms but it's an IPS panel. I will mostly use it for gaming (so the 2ms TN seems like the proper choice) but I do want to watch movies as well and the IPS is preferred in may case because my bed lower than the monitor and on a TN panel even small angle causes visible color distortions.

Currently I have a 22" 5 ms TN monitor and the viewing angles bother me quite a lot, and the 5 ms response time is perfectly suitable for me.

Also the BenQ is cheaper than the LG.

Since I don't have the ability to try them out first, which would be the better choice?

P.S: I'm also a bit worried about the so called "IPS glow" which seems to counter the impressive viewing angles of the IPS panels.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. chasus

chasus Guest

GPU:
    -
    I think you have basically answered your own question.

First, the relative position of your bed to the screen gives unacceptable picture distortion from a TN panel. So, the LG with IPS panel has to be the choice.

Then, the 5ms of your current monitor is acceptable to you. So, the LG's 5ms should be just as acceptable.

Conclusion:- LG 24EA53VQ-P

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    how much are these in romania and also are you willing to buy from ebay? if so, you should definitely go for a korean, like many of us here.

4. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  6. chasus

chasus Guest

GPU:
    -
    Perhaps that guy had bad luck of getting one of those miscalibrated or even defective sample?
    I suppose, a specific model of a (most if not all) monitor can have a few bad ones among the thousands of good ones. As long as there are not many many bad reports, there should be little worry about a specific model.

Here is an video showing good review:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6pWV9uRG1I

That guy seems to use the monitors mainly for video and movie editing and so colour reproduction and accuracy should be important to him. Even though he is not a gamer, he said he played his sons' games and noticed no blurring (due to 5ms) or bleeding.

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Get yourself a QNIX and you will be a happy camper! Mine clocks to 120Hz without issue, for 2 and a 1/2 hundred quid on an IPS panel @1440p that's just sick!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    erm, that's NOT how you look for bleed. the very beginning of the video was roughly at the right angle to look for bleed. that particular sample in the video had very uniform bleed, nothing out of ordinary.

9. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    In that review, at the 15:10 mark you can clearly see the IPS glow on the left screen, and this is in a bright room. If you were to watch a dark movie in the evening with the lights turned off that would get really bad.

10. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming

11. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
  12. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    I'm not ruling them out, it's just seems that budget IPS panels seem quite bad when in comes to IPS glow.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'd still take an IPS panel any day. colors are so much better than TN, it's a no brainer. Bleed you can have pretty bad even on expensive models, bit of a lottery, really. There's always RMA if you get a bad one, I wouldn't hesitate and get IPS (or korean, but I don't think you will go for one of those for whatever reason)

14. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
  15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The BenQ EW2740L could be an option, it's an AMVA+ panel. It's very similar to my GW2760HS, but slightly better.

16. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    I dont want a 27, but the GW2450HM (or 2460, as far as I can tell it's just a small update vs 2450) from BenQ looks interesting, it's 4 ms but it's VA. Now I dont know much about VA, but a bit of googling reveals that VA's seem to have response time and ghosting issues. However this is at 4 ms so this should not be an issue, or is there something else about VA panels that I have to worry about?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There's different types of VA panels, like there is with IPS (S-IPS, AH-IPS etc). The new BenQ's use the AMVA+ panels.

I suggest the BenQ EW2440L which, as you can tell by the model name, is the 24 inch version of the EW2740L I mentioned earlier.
    http://www.benq.com.au/product/monitor/ew2440l/

The GW2450HM seems to be quite an old model now, the EW2440L would be vastly superior to it (better panel, and has the flicker-free backlight etc). Whatever monitor you get though, you have to remember that it's fairly typical that you will have to play around with the settings a bit to get to your liking :).

18. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    The EW2440L is no longer available (which is odd if it is indeed the newer model, although I can't find anything specific about the release date of either monitors), however they both have the same specs, the only big difference is that the EW is a slim bezel design.

P.S: I only found EW2430 which is a year older than GW2450HM, so I doubt the EW2440L is newer. (EW2440L seems like a ghost, nowhere to be found, which leads me to believe it's a discontinued product)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The EW2440L is definitely newer and better. It may be listed where you are looking as no longer available as the available stock may just be sold out. The GW2450HM is definitely an old model and no longer made.

20. chasus

chasus Guest

GPU:
    -