Mantle Multi GPU's Memory

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shankly1985, Jan 14, 2014.

1. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Why not this been talked about?
    Mantle enabled games will allow Multi GPU's to work in meny different ways to before.

Now we have Crossfire each GPU have 3GB = 3GB total, With Mantle this all change's Two GPU's will have there own Memory so two x7970 = 6GB Vram

See this video here
    Watch
    http://youtu.be/N_6CAneoW-0?t=23m43s [youtu.be]

Key Wording

4 GPU's Each with Different MEMORY

Next
    Mantle will also allow each GPU to work interdependently of each other, for example One can be Rendering a scene and the other can be doing a more demanding task
    Physics, AO, GI or AA like Super sampling.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    i'd first like to see mantle actually work in a game open to the public instead of a slide or presentation.

then some nvidia support would be neat :p
    but seeing how AMD is marketing this as using there architecture to the fullest i doubt that until some master hackers try to get it working : /

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Sounds great, but will we ever see it, im sick to bloody death of hearing about it now, Mantle this, Mantle that, they've been spouting the same things, and showing the same slides for months now, just get the bugger out! :D

4. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    Battlefield 4 is the issue here. Dont expect wonder's from that game :D
    Mantle starts with Thief in my book.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It does not take a "Master Hacker" to write driver for graphical api. All it takes is decision to hop in made by nV.

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    drivers are done, thats not the problem.

Dice has to implement the API calls in their engine.

THATS the problem.

7. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    not really

dice already has that.

they just need to give it to us in a patch

and they didnt

thats the problem

8. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Too much talk and no show.

9. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    the patch IS the engine update.

10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Mantle video update from starswarm.. The difference in this " demo " is xtreme due to the extremely high AI, physic, objects counts ( 4000 to 5000 units ). but worth a look for see the difference in fps between dx to mantle.. ( basically you have ~ 10fps in DX, when you hover between 40 to 85fps in mantle ) ( change is made at ~ 0:45 )

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/14/oxide-star-swarm-real-time-strategy-mantle-demo/

11. Conker

Conker Guest

GPU:
    Quadfire 2x7990s
    This is great news. If your using multi gpus then theres no real reason to worry about memory limitations now. This is good for people on 3GB cards that are near maxing them out. This should dramatically increase framerates in memory hogging games.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not really big benefit for games. Can you imagine how long it will take to give GPU1 2GB chunk of data stored in VRAM2 vie PCIe 3.0 x16?

Such feature is just part of AMD's HUMA and will be very valuable to us in future, like 2017/18 with different board architecture or much higher bandwidths.

13. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    About an eighth of a second. PCIe 3.0 delivers almost 1GB/s per lane. But even with a new PCI bus it will always be faster to feed the gpu with dedicated memory. The advantages offered by HUMA are more geared at the software side and reducing the overhead of moving data between gpu and cpu memory space - now a pointer can be passed and the underlying memory controller can handle the moving rather than relying on a separate software driver. AMD is doing serious work to make the GPU no longer second-class to the CPU in terms of accessibility. The benefits this offers to games are hard to fathom now because of how fundamentally different this will allow future rendering engines to be programmed.

14. grufferator

grufferator Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD7850 1G
    All this is talk is only marketing untill we can test it on our PCs.

15. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Thats not how it works. Current API's treat 2 GPU's as 1 and its down to the drivers to distribute the workload. Mantle will be able to see two separate GPU's and spread the workload to each gpu accordingly. It will probably need a lot of optimising at game engine level, but its certainly an interesting development.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

16. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
  17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    In OP's theory 1 + 1 = 2 and not 1 as we have it now. Such feature is very possible.
    And my reply points towards weakest point of such feature, and is written in way to make people think for themselves, take calculator and divide few numbers to find how bad impact would such method have on performance.

I know that my english is at level of 4 years old. And due to my unwillingness to use g+trans not even native speaker can get a glimpse of what I wrote.
    Maybe OP wrote it in way you may understand to what my reply was :)
    Or you can read Haz_mat's post beneath mine as he managed to "decrypt" post of mine.

18. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    So I end up with DDR 4 ram one socket = 1 ram channel and GPU will be the same 1 pcie3 = 1 whatever that is named for 4 channel of pcie3 whatever ? Mmif this is accurate we might need more CPU . no wonder AMD is getting ready a 16 core CPU . sadly again AMD probably ignored ati view on this .how many time will AMD screw up . and at I has to glue the broken piece.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That 16core thing is just opteron iteration. It will have improved ipc and will be one silicon (saving of transistors/power draw).
    Yes, people who will want to get AMD system will likely soon go for their server parts.
    As I would even now if I wanted pure multithreaded CPU performance as it's very affordable compared to intel. But single threaded perf. still matters for games and will continue to for next 4~5 years.

20. kayawish24

kayawish24 Guest

GPU:
    xfx 8800 gtx
    i have 3 x HD 7970 = in Trifire but only 3GB of Vram is used.it will be good if AMD make something that all 3 GB Vram on all 3 crads = 9GB is used so Vram Limitation is no Problem anymore...i dont think Mantle can enable is ?