780 TI 6GB Version

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by blakedj06, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Techie what's the game vram on the consoles?

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  4. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    I tried, but for some reason It didn't like taking the screen shot or it was like 50 screens ago and only windowed? strange i got a screen of msiafterburners mem usage

2560x1440P 1x 290x BF4 everything Ultra @200% resolution scale

I actually saw it get to 4078MB at one stage, nfi why it doesnt like taking screens in game
    [​IMG]

In that screen shot one the line was 3926MB

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Just did some BF4 testing at the first level(flooded locker rooms?) and here it is:

Note that vram usage might vary upon level.

[​IMG]

1) 1440p@Ultra with 200% reso scaling. FPS: 10-20. Unplayable.

2) Eclap's settings ((Ultra, with mesh on high and ssao instead of hbao and no msaa but 130% ish resolution scaling). Vram was 1900-2000MB. FPS: 70. Very playable.

3) 1080P@Ultra with 200% reso scaling. FPS: 35fps. Almost playable.

And fyi guys afaik 200% on 1080p is actually 4K. So 200% on 1440p is actually a lot more than 4k.

That's why at No. 3 I was using 2900MB vram and the No. 1 and 2 on the screenshot was maxing the vram. Because it was more than 4K and unplayble also.

Its the same story that's been mentioned so many times. We will ran out of juice before ran out vram. ;)

6. techie405

techie405 Guest

I think future games will use much more vram mainly because of super high resolution textures not because of some crazy new GPU destroying processing.

7. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I'm sure they will... And WHEN that time comes, we will worry about it then...

So for now, lets all enjoy our current(and possibly next gen games) that 3GB is enough for them. :thumbup:

Or should we all start worrying about 2020 games that they will probably require 12GB or whatever type of vram will be available then while our card then will have 8GB..??

The above figures are fictitious for the sake of this "conversation". ;)

8. techie405

techie405 Guest

May I ask why you have 16 GB of Ram? You should be good through 2020 on that you just need a graphics card to match:)

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    BF4 1920x1080 all in game settings maxed scaling set at 200%. 3286MB vram.
    Edit...200% scaling with no MSAA reduced usage to about 2700MB.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This post is proff you have no understanding of what it takes to run a game on a PC. The PS4 and XBone have 8GB of GDDR5 & DDR3 respectively to be used for both graphics and system usage. He technically is ahead of the next gen with 3GB of GDDR5 running at around 350GB/s compaired to the PS4's sub-200GB/s (let's not even mention the XBone's memory bandwidth). Couple that with 16GB of dedicated system RAM, and 8 threads tuning at 4.7GHz (BTW one of his cores running at 4GHz is faster than the entire 8 cores of the PS4 and XBone). Well you can see that the console is no where near in the top of the food chain.

11. techie405

techie405 Guest

LoL, what does processing power and bandwidth have to do with RAM usage? I mean with more processing power you can crank up settings which would result in more RAM usage but lets talk PS4 equivalent setting of AAA games.

The PS4 has 5.5 GB of unified memory available for games. If you split that in half you would have 2.75GB each for the CPU & GPU. But it' not a perfect split. It's more like 2/3 of the RAM goes to the GPU so your talking 3.5GB of RAM dedicated to the GPU max. Then you add all the overhead of a PC game, plus higher resolutions, textures, and MSAA, and you'll see vram usage climbs quickly.

Using history as an indication, COD4 came out 2 years after the xbox360. Maxed at 1080p uses aroud 600MB of vram alone which is more than the total unified memory of 512MB for an xbox360.

Add a modded high rez texture package to Skyrim and you can double you vram usage at the same graphics settings.

I'm not saying anything about consoles being more powerful than PC's just that they have a RAM advantage that is going to change the PC landscape a bit very soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
  12. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Because I need it? Because I use it? Because I already have used all of it? Because I got a damn good deal for this 2x8GB 2133Mhz kit? Because I love the looks of the Predator X? And a few other because.

Also that reply was the most random reply to a comment I have seen. It has nothing to do with the comment you replied on although I'm sure you were tying again to prove something. But you didn't make any sense.

Also you were saying 8GB console here and there and then you googled how much vram is available(probably because I had asked you already and you didn't answer because you didn't know at that time) to the developers and you thought we wouldn't notice it when you started mentioning that you went from saying 8GB to 5.5GB available to games/developers?

Hey I didn't recognized you! :D

[​IMG]

13. techie405

techie405 Guest

LoL, that was a random reply:)

You damn sure aren't using more than 8GB of system RAM for games currently and I'm not sure what you are talking about me not knowing. It has been months since it has been known next gen consoles were using more than 3GB of RAM for video alone. Are you disputing that? If so why? What do you mean how much vram is available? It is unified memory so they can use as much as they want so your question made no sense. Its been known that there is 8GB total but only 5.5GB is reserved for games but hey your so smart you already knew that ;)

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Sorry to go offtopic, but I have been wondering this for a while, is 8GB ram (system ram) not more than enough for gaming? In 2012 when I built this rig I thought it was. Now though, since I will probably get a GPU or two with at least 4GB of vram then next time I upgrade, should I consider also increasing system ram to 16GB or even more? :D

15. chasus

chasus Guest

GPU:
    -
    Speaking not from a technical point of view but from a financial point of view, I suppose system RAM is not that expensive in the grand scale of PC components. It represents just a relatively smaller fraction of the total system cost. So, looking from this angle, why not going from 8GB to 16GB system RAM? :)

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I personally have FF running with over 160 tabs. based on which I have loaded it eats between 400-900MB of ram.
    Sometimes I run 2 games at once or two instances of same game.
    I know people who forget they did not exit game and just alt+tabbed resulting in running more than one game unknowingly.

As we have multitasking OS, you may be just fine with 8GB of ram if you are happy without full use of multitasking possibilities.
    16GB is just convenience, with 32GB you start to run into other possibilities (uses) for memory, like ramdrive for something you want to have loaded fast.

Even with 16GB of ram you can use ramdrive but it's not enough for mmo games today.

-So it always boils down to what you can imagine, utilize and put in use.

And it's not that big offtopic. If you do not have enough ram you use paging space on HDD/SSD which drastically reduce performance.

Same goes for vram as it uses ram as cache, impact there is not that extreme as you can see with APU integrated GPU vs discrete PCIe graphics with same parameters (just using ddr5 and higher memory bandwidth).

But with more demanding GPUs, higher is impact on performance once you need additional data from system memory.

In situation where game needs 2.2GB vram and you have only 2 GB, you end up every frame waiting for 200MB from system memory.
    With speeds around 4GB/s this 200MB block will be given to card in 0.05s. Rendering of each frame should be prolonged by this, therefore reducing fps.

17. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    You are even using my own replies to reply me! What happened? Cant think some of your own? Please noo more. You are killing me. I'm seriously laughing. You are boisterously merry. I like you. :grin:

This is an epic response. And please stop posting whatever you read on the net. We can read too. Talking about 8GB console and then 5.5GB and then splitting it from 5.5 to 2.75GB but not a perfect split so its 3.5GB GDDR5 for games.

You just went from 8GB to 3.5GB. This is soo frickin hilarious. lol!

And I think we are gonna be just fine without the 512MB of GDDR5(based on your saying) that consoles have over our 780/780Ti, or AMD cards with 3GB.

Also never said anything about my RAM usage in games. How did that come up? And why in earth you are assuming I have 16GB because I use it just for games?? :bang:

Oh my apologies. I was mistakenly thinking RAM is been used for the entire pc. Damn. I better sell 16GB kit and buy a 8GB kit. Thank you techie! You shown me the light! :thumbup:

I can't take this more.. :wanker: I'm killing any braincells I've left trying to make any sense from that member. I tried. I can see he's just trolling but I'm trying to give the benefit of doubt and trying to understand him and look for.

I'm out of this. I had better conversations with my dog's. Metaphorically speaking btw. Also I'm sorry if I came off as a douche. I tried to reply as politely as I could. :)

Good points. I'm using RamDrive from time to time and also I have open anywhere from 100 to 200 browser tabs daily.

And I have the page file on my SSD at 1GB. And that makes my RAM usage go way up but that's the reason its there, right? ;)

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Haha is this a serious comment?

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeap 3GB is ok, it will work but its not enough on GPU's for todays high end games. Ill be going 4GB minimum from now on as Nvidia Inspector really kills the Vram especially at 1440p.

I hope the 790 delivers on the vram and the price is under 1k.

20. techie405

techie405 Guest

LoL, you are a moron a can't make a point to save your life. I guess us pc gamers will go on using less than 3GB of vram even though consoles are using more. Even though that is highly illogical and the facts show otherwise but you are the genius here that can't make a factual counterpoint so good day sir. I will see you in a year are two when you have a shiny new card with more than 3GB of vram so you will be able to play the latest games at max settings.