Gabe Newell hints as to why Half-Life 3 isn't a real priority

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    Kind of not surprised, there is no real way to create a successful sequel, Half Life was innovative, the narrative AI and scripted sequences were above any other 1st person shooter at its time.

HL2 was also great for its time, due to its graphics and physics.

But now that we are in 2014. There are too many games which already copied and used all of the features both games had. I don't really know what Gabe could do to impress gamers in HL3.

3. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Half Life 3 Confirmed!!!!

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    That's cute. Good old Gabe has lost his mind. Telling his own employees that their skills are worthless because they're not related to what he thinks the customers want?

What an absolute joke.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Customers wants HL3..... So, how is he following what customers wants?

6. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Yes more half life and please skip the multiplayer. I just want to continue the story.

7. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Its probably too much pressure for them, afraid they will screw up such a legendary series. Grow some balls sir.

8. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    How will Valve surpass all the good tech and innovation of todays games ...its a great competition out there to impress anybody these days with something new to keep people hooked and interested

half-life games was {and still is} great when it came out...yeah and i would also like to continue playing the story none the less

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Imo, Valves engine was never all that in the first place, so id say they'd be better off using UE4 or something.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Half-Life 3 would require a huge graphical improvement.
    Unfortunately current Source Engine is still on DX9.

However with Valve going more into Linux, I wonder if they will ever consider using switching to DX11.

Half-Life3 have to be revolutionary. For that Valve would need totally new approach with their Source Engine 2.
    My guess, they just gonna pass DX11 and use Mantle or other independent Graphical API
    that would be open, free and multi-platform.

And again, it will require time for such API to come true.

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    There's always OpenGL ;)

12. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    HL1 was a good game for its time, but I thought HL2 was an absolute pile of poop. Thus, I have zero interest in any future HL game after having endured the trash that was HL2... Never before have I played such an awful FPS on the PC. It wasn't even a game in my mind, it was just an exercise in frustration and moronically awful design from a 5 year old kid: not even joking, it was just a BAD GAME. All you FanBoys can say otherwise, but wow, enjoy your blindness while I go play a real FPS.

...Granted, I haven't played the new Duke Nukem game :puke2:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  13. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I'll have some of what you're smoking.

14. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Maybe they've decided to wait until the technology can allow for something truly innovative. Because Halflife 2 was such a success and stood out for it's time, perhaps they want to honour that & continue in that vein. Maybe they're waiting for something crazy to come about and become more mainstream like Virtual Reality combined with Kinect style interaction! Or maybe just waiting for advancement of GPU tech so that they can create some crazy realistic visuals.

15. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    I honestly don't see what any gamer sees in HL2, I found it to be a tedious & arduous game to endure...

I'd easily rate HL2 at less than 5/10: far less than any CoD/Halo/FarCry/KillZone game that I've ever played :3eyes:

I'll give the next HL game a try, but I'm seriously not expecting much from it after playing HL2.

16. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Yea, that must be the reason for selling 12m copies. Cause its a bad game. Pfff

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Valve is a privately owned company with Newell biggest stake holder. If it was a publicly traded co with him a minority shareholder, he would be out on his ass for neglecting a massive money earning opportunity like HL3.

18. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I don't know how people can compare farcry or halo to half life, everyone i know won't even dare to compare half-life, 'cause the story, the graphics, physics are so fantastic, and look at the optimization of the engine, those games are far away on system requirement per quality. And half-life isn't ruined (yet). Of course there are episodes i liked more than others, it's natural and i understand how hard it is to keep up with such good story. I've finished this game more than any other, it's my one of the favorite games. I won't argue, games look better now, but we didn't have such hardware at the time, look how old is hl. We have different tastes - that's for sure, but you can't argue about sys req/quality/performace.

As for Gabe, i don't know s**t about him, can't judge or anything, but i can tell that he talks trash, i listened some interviews...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  19. kill007

kill007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF
    Not sure if HL3 will survive if it stays to its root of the original in this day of age where its all about big explosions, no exploring, quick time events, zergs of mindless armys, DLC's, day 1 DLC's, DLC difficulty mode....and consoles...

rather they take time and do it right rather than release cod releases every year with dlc's/season pass dlc's or bug/rushed games like bf4.

20. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    from what i understand newel isn't saying that HL3 isn't ever getting made.

he's saying that the people who worked on HL1/2/2ep1/2ep2 might not nessesarrily be really in to making a HL3 so instead of forcing them to buckle down and do a project they don't want to do he's letting them explore other area's.

they may have been hired as level designers or something for Half Life but after a few half life's they wanted to explore different projects/area's and that's what he let them do.

atleast that's what i'm getting out of it, it's phrased a bit vaguely imo.