Will having a soundcard stuck in between two video cards cause interference?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dr_hycodan, Jan 4, 2014.

1. dr_hycodan

dr_hycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    I upgraded from an x79 board where there was a free pci slot above my sound card, but now my sound card is stuck in between two video cards on my z87 deluxe board. Now whenever I watch or listen to stereo, my sound channels would suddenly shift to my rear speakers or to my center speaker every two or three minutes. I even switched my Xonar DX out for another identicle Xonar DX and it still does the same thing. I also tried sitting it on the top pci-e x1 slot and still no luck. I need some help please on what is causing the sound channels to shift on this z87 board.

2. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Was all so wondering about this i have gone to an Asus Rampage IV Black Edition and my SB Zx card will have to go between my 780,s at the moment i am using the on-board ROG SupremeFX which is really not to bad for on-board sound, debating whether to sell my Zx and just use my onboard and give the 780s breathing room as well.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    https://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/9QxiE6DZEdR1sou1/line.jpg

If this is the motherboard you are using i see no reason why you should have to have a sound card inbetween video cards...

and to the 2nd post

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Rampage-IV-Black-Edition-3.jpg

if that is your motherboard, again, i see no reason you should need to have a soundcard inbetween two video cards

On both of these motherboards i see PCI-Express slots everywhere, and since soundcards only use 1x (i haven't seen any 4x?) every slot there, including the 16x slots that wouldn't be in use, can be used as the soundcard slot

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  4. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Hi
    All the other slots are blocked by the 780s, the slot in-between them is the only one available unfortunately, maybe the slot at the bottom but it will be right up against the second 780s fan...

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Did you guys try clearing your cmos after inserting all your cards, may be worth a shot.

6. leeaids

leeaids Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
    hi there i used to have my soundcard inbetween 2 gtx 470 and it was fine. no sound problems, only thing to watch it dont get to hot.

i had a 120mm fan on the side panel of the case blowing on to itthat helped a lot

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I dont see how that is possible, two 780s would only take up a total of 4 spaces, and there are 6 pci express slots. Could you take a top down picture of your rig?

Also, being below your GPU shouldn't be a problem, most SLI setups have two graphics cards as close as can be and though they do obviously get hotter, it works

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I'll honestly say I didn't know about PCI-E's physical compatibility, until I read some of the comments here and went looking for more info.

For the OPs, looks like you can put your 1x (or 4x) PCI-e soundcard in one of the full-length slots that are still open.
    Hope that helps.

9. Someguy

Someguy Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 660
    Hello,

got the same problem and had a thread here regarding this.

But at that time I had not thought that it could be such thing as the positioning of the physical cards on the mainboard.

I tried to change the positioning of both my GTX 660 and the ASUS Xonar DX and it worked for about 2 weeks, now I get those noises and channel switching agian...
    As you can see on the picture they are now also very close but I do not know if this is really causing the problem. Other than that I have no other possible positions for both cards :/

Edit: I would show a picture but I cannot link/post images yet