83.3%
  3. Who's Mantle?

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Going to take a wild guess and say it will not be released in December.

2. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    The funny thing for me is now...as my specs have changed...I can't see how I would experience ANY change with Mantle now....as my specs are so high for bf4 now...i get 59+ fps now @ 2560x1080 :)

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Jesus guys i expected better on here, that was in no way a dig against AMD so really not sure why you took it that way.

The Mantle patch is for GCN cards, you can't honestly think GCN AMD cards are anything other than a very small amount of the PC gamers who have bought BF4.
    I have no idea why that would mean i was any high horse!!

The point was that in the grand scheme of things this was in no way a priority at the moment....:3eyes:

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Maybe could have worded it better, I guess. But I still disagree with you. This is a priority, but with the stability and bug issues, it's taken a back seat. Which is why it's been pushed back to January, as they would have had no time to finalize a patch for it. Also, without knowing the percentage of graphics cards used to play BF4, it's by no means fair to say it's a small amount of PC gamers. ;)

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I honestly thought i worded it as well as i could, i apologise if anyone thinks otherwise.

It's easy think otherwise when your on forums like this but i see no proof that GCN card's are anything other than a small fraction of the people who bought and play BF4.

While i think some might be, i doubt Origin is where all the high end PC gamers are, and since GCN cards on Steam are not anywhere near the top i'm going to assume it might be similar on Origin.

It's not a AMD v Nvidia thing as i could not care less about BF4.
    It's an example of gaming at it's lowest imo, but for the many thousands, if not millions who do enjoy it i don't think adding support for a new api should be in any way be happening when the game still appears to be broken for so many people.

If Mantle gets added when the game is still a mess, Mantle will be considered a scam by the majority, even if the problems were all due to DirectX.

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Do you actually own and play BF4?

And, as far as gaming gpus go, GCN cards are doing really well.

troll alert... Yeah, I only have a GCN gpu because I play BF4. Not because 2x 7950 cost me less than £400 and they piss all over any single gpu setup out there.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Espionage724, i know its very small i have already looked at that.

eclap, you on the bevy or something, since when is my post a troll alert?
    Please don't throw that word about without understanding what it means.

In no way did i say you only have your cards because of BF4 or GCN, nor did i say that AMD cards are not selling, just that most people will be using something other than a AMD GCN GPU and in the grand scheme of things, it might be better to fix the main game first before adding another api to the mix of bugs and issues that so many are complaining about.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Troll alert is not a word. It's a warning against clear trolling. You honestly stand by what you said earlier that all the gcn owners bought them because of battlefield 4?

Again, as far as gaming gpu are concerned, gcn is up there. I don't care about charts where onboard gpus are most used, we're talking a purely gaming api designed for modern games. mantle is for a niche market, for gamers, but within that market gcn has a large share.

And again, what issues do you have with bf4?

11. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    Its not a big deal this was delayed. Maybe some are pissed because they spent all of December in anticipation, but we should all be old enough here to know that Santa isn't real.... EA has plenty on their plate with the current issues in BF4 and it is only logical to get the game stable before throwing in new shiny.

Besides people, this is standard procedure in the tech industry. When they say "to be released in December" often translates into "you'll hear more about this in December." Someone was saying that there will be a working demo at CES, so hang tight.

And to the trolls blaming AMD for the delay in EA's game: don't be stupid. Software design is among the most complicated jobs out there. There could be a hundred reasons they didn't want to get a mantle beta out just yet, and unless you have real insider info on the project its all just speculation from the outside perspective.

The idea that it is useless for EA to cater a new API to a "tiny number of AMD users" is completely missing the point on why EA is doing this. EA wanted changes in the driver pipeline to give their engine more control over the GPU. EA went to Microsoft, nVidia, and AMD. AMD was ready to play ball and now EA is prepared for a real investment in taking an "if you build it, they will come" approach. Considering the AMD gpu dominance in this generation of consoles, this does not appear to be an unwise plan of action. Time will tell.

If Mantle shows up on the scene but fizzles out I will still be glad that someone tried to take a stab at a new approach. If attempts like this are not made occasionally we wouldn't be where we are today. Even though PhysX is not "standard issue" in games, perhaps for the same reasons that might one day hold Mantle back from widespread adoption, PhysX showed us what is possible with a heavy-duty approach to in-game physics. If at the very least Mantle is able to hint at what might be better done a few years down the line, it wont be a failure in my opinion.

It is an exciting time, like the days of Glide and the diverse ecosystem of strangely named GPUs. I still have an old box with "STB Velocity 128" and a laptop with S3 SuperSavage.

12. ruftman

ruftman Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB
    It seems that we not see anything about Mantle this year. Too bad, because it sounds so promising.

AMD should have released a demo to show the abilities of Mantle instead of being independend of a third party developer.

13. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Agree. We need something to compare directx against but oxide did a demo but a very bad one. Yes it might show us something but we need a direct comparison and I think they want the user to have the first impression.

In my opinion Mantle is already a win in Battlefield 4 as it is guaranteed to give us increase performance and that is why i consider a win even if 1%

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well since today is the last day of the year I don't think it matters, yes? :p

and +1 to the rest. I don't know what the hype for Dice is about anyway.

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I'd rather something be released properly and working, than rushed and broken. I'm in no real rush to see BF4 with Mantle, but will gladly try it out once it arrives.

I mainly just wish dates wouldn't be given unless there is without a doubt it could be met. EA/DICE could of easily said Dec-Jan, or even just Jan.

I would hope Mantle in BF4 is at least fine-tuned though, for the sake of public acceptance of it. But seeing EA/DICE's track record, they tend to release buggy code first, then fix it later.

Worse-case scenario is, Mantle on BF4 is full of issues. Then next thing you know, everybody (figuratively speaking) is claiming up and down Mantle is a failure and other mess, regardless of even knowing whether Mantle is the problem, or if it's how it's implementation in BF4 (AMD haters blame Mantle, EA/DICE/BF haters blame BF4, people who haven't even played BF4 going with the majority, that sort of thing :bang:).

We'll see soon enough though.

16. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I can see why you not excited. you have GTX780. They getting excited cause now they can actually do more without impacting performance. Go check youtube oxide demo. You can see it's smooth with that many stuff rendering on screen is just simply amazing and not having cpu bottleneck even amd quad core running @ 2GHz is cool so you going to do much more and get the raw power. Now developers can do what they always dreamed of.

In BF4 some areas I see my cpu is bottlenecking even @ 4.8GHz O know it's old tech but when mantle comes we will see. Mantle brings less CPu usage to feed the gpu so more time doing something else so i should get 120FPS on ultra 2560x1440 on my setup.

17. Ashrak

Ashrak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270x
    *Well i just realised that i will have 0% gain or near 0% gain due to the fact that mantle offloads the CPU, but my bottleneck is NOT at CPU level, i never hit 100% utilization, but my GPU is sitting at 99% util most of the time.

18. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    interesting point, there are the exceptions though like black flag and the like.
    but sure point taken.
    still looking forwards to it's release allthesame, admittedly TressFX 2.0 moreso.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yes and mantle won't bring its own issues? ;)

Edit: too bad you didn't read my post and just fixated ur vision on the gtx 780 in my specs lol

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Mantle? It will make u frag better?