AMD Catalyst 13.12 WHQL (13.251.0.0 December 18)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MoKiChU, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Coldblackice

Coldblackice Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3
    Why is it being altered in ControlSet001 and not CurrentControlSet? Isn't CS001 (and CS002) just a backup of the currently-active CurrentControlSet?

2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    As to why I now have CCC instead of Vision, I have an idea what the reason might be. On AMD's download page for the mobility drivers it says that 13.12 can only be installed on second generation or newer APUs that support Enduro. My first generation Llano does not support Enduro so even though the driver does install and work very well, a Llano APU is not recognized as supporting Enduro and is treated the same as if it was an Intel CPU. Therefore Catalyst Control Center is installed instead of the Vision Engine Control Center.

Does that make sense?

3. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I decided to go back to 13.4 so I wrote down some fps numbers at different points in a game and then uninstalled 13.12, rebooted, and installed 13.4. At the same points in the game, my fps was 10-20% higher with 13.4 and the brightness and contrast looked a lot better as well. The brightness with 13.12 was actually a little too much. I also have the Vision Engine Control Center again.

I guess for a Llano APU without dual graphics 13.4 is as good as it gets. 13.12 seems to be for the new cards and newer APU's, especially if they have dual graphics.

4. shredderman

shredderman Active Member

GPU:
    Galax RTX 3060 12GB
    Which shows too, I have the same BSOD as the 13.11 near final betas, I have to revert to Beta 4 for now.

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I can't remember the last time I recall seeing the version being shown... I just did a clean install of Windows 7 and don't have a Catalyst version being shown still.

I can't say I care too much though. I know I installed 13.12, and don't need something else telling me what I already know :p

6. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Ubuntu 13.04, hd7790, kernel 3.12 - unity can't start after reboot, have to remove fglrx and install 13.11 beta 9.4 which is working totally fine.

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If you installed the driver via the instructions on cchtml, DKMS likely isn't completing the kernel module build.

If Unity isn't starting, you would see a black screen with a mouse pointer on it I believe. If X isn't starting, you'll just have a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top-left. I had the latter happen on Xubuntu 13.10.

There's a few patches available to fix the DKMS building issue though. Ubuntu also has packages available for 13.251 (this driver) on their Trusty PPA (can just download the 3 packages (fglrx-updates) for your architecture, and install them + dependencies).

8. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    All i can see is wallpaper and no gui at all, not black screen, no error messages, just not rendered unity gui.

9. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    What is wrong with amd forcing people to install raptr? I know there's a custom install to avoid this but once installing through quick install there's no option to cancel/skip the raptr installation. Its kinda disgusting if you aks me. Today i opened my catalyst center and a survey popped up.....

10. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Ccc and raptr are not connected. They are completely indepdent programs.

11. NumB

NumB Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeo HD5650
    Which one is better for you guys: 13.4, 13.9 or 13.12?

In some games 13.12 behaves awkwardly (stuttering in most of the cases). What's weird is that i encounter this in games that don't require high system requirements, like FIFA 14.

12. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    I run it since yesterday. No BSOD yet.

13. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

On Windows, I can't recall a time where the newest driver caused me any issue to warrant me reverting to another driver, so basically whatever the newest driver is (13.12), works fine for me.

Linux on the other hand, 13.12 is probably the worst driver I tried... 13.6 was the best that I can recall with games in Wine (anything newer caused hard locks or crashes specifically with GW2).

14. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Always do a custom install. Regardless if you keep everything as it's set by default.
    It's just 1 or 2 extra mouse clicks.
    Besides, quick installs or auto usually involves unwanted toolbars and the likes.
    Be sure and use custom install.

15. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    Is mantle included in this driver?

16. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Nope. Mantle wasn't included in any previous BETA driver either, so it probably shouldn't be expected to show up for the first time in a WHQL driver.

Not to mention nothing publicly available even uses Mantle currently, so what's the point?

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Huh, the mobility driver shows my Catalyst version just fine (at 13.12). No Catalyst version is shown on my desktop though. Kind of interesting I guess, but not really a problem at all.

18. ALPINEST4RS

ALPINEST4RS Guest

GPU:
    Gbyte 7970 GHZ 3GB
    Tracked it to memory clocks acting weird when switching over. Run MSI Kombuster and browse the net when testing. See if the stuttering goes away. Then, disable kombuster and see if it switches back to stuttering. My clocks are going haywire lol. I'm getting used to it.:banana:

19. g60force

g60force Guest

GPU:
    NV 1660Ti + 5850
    something weird is going on I succesfully followed all DDU 992 steps then succesfully installed W7 64 13.12 now BF4 is telling me warning this is version 11.7 recommended is 13.9 or higher.... WTF!!

20. daveleebond

daveleebond New Member

GPU:
    PowerColor 290X
    ????, you have answered your own question/rant, just don't use express install, not exactly a hardship!!!