Why only DX 11?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Baronofdecency, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Baronofdecency

Baronofdecency Guest

GPU:
    This
    Ok before u start to convince i admit myself that DX 10 is very old etc etc
    But as i read:
    Direct3D 11 is a strict superset of Direct3D 10.1 — all hardware and API features of version 10.1 are retained, and new features are added only when necessary for exposing new functionality. This helps to keep backwards compatibility with previous versions of DirectX.
    It seems developing games on DX 10 doesnt take extra time plus they can maximize their sale.Still there are bunchs of old school gamers out there.So why Games like:Crysis 3 , COD Ghosts and Watch Dogs have no DX10 support?I know my GPU is weak but what about a guy who is happy with his pair of old school GTX 295s?

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's a bit funny how DirectX 9 is still around thanks to widespread support on both GPU's and OS's whereas DX10 which was exclusive to Vista (Or newer.) never really saw that much use and now with DX11 (Windows 7, backported to Vista later.) we're only now starting to see it utilized instead of the odd title here and there with DX9 primarily and a few extra features implemented via DX11 added-on.

Still yes I believe that should a developer choose to do so it is possible to utilize DirectX 10 or 10.1 via backwards compatibility (The feature levels.) although I guess with DX11 GPU's now being very common and Windows 7 having a large market share most don't see the need to implement this feature with a bit of extra work.

I guess it's similar to how developers don't usually choose to implement both OpenGL and DirectX instead choosing one or the other although I guess backwards compatibility with DirectX 11(.1 or .2) to DX10(.1) is a bit easier than a fully different graphics API. :)

Just the way it is with PC gaming I suppose, you have to keep upgrading and with how both AMD and Nvidia are backing high-profile AAA games to sell their top-end GPU's or how shoddy some ports are you need some pretty hefty hardware if you want to run the game with all features enabled, I don't really know but it seems a bit like that.

3. Baronofdecency

Baronofdecency Guest

GPU:
    This
    Thanks for the answer.But a pair of GTX 295s are as fast as a HD 6870 X2 which is a solid gaming card.So it can still kick some ass.Plus DX 10 gamers isnt that low so they eliminate their support.Just check signatures for adding DX 10 to Crysis 3 at change.com.It has 13763 Signatures.

4. EvoHavok

EvoHavok Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 770M 3 GB
    I have the same view as Jonas. It's really a pity :(.

5. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    I fear that because developers think we all want a hollywood movie kind of game.
    All special effects with barely a game underneath ( it's been too long since a decent game was released... ).

I *think* it's a trick to get you the newest graphics cards.
    The games you're talking about, aren't they backed by AMD or nVidia?

Sure, it's my opinion, and I don't really have any proof, but I wouldn't be surprised if AMD , nVidia pushes the new GPU's indirectly through the game developers.

I could play *most* games with my old GTX275 till 2 months ago.

Ps. You remember you needed 6Gb RAM to play COD Ghost? Rubbish as well...
    On the other hand, you're not really missing out on games ^^.

6. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    MS is forcing everyone to evolve because they cancel support for older stuff.

It doesnt matter whether Dx11 brings something new to the table which would be good for games. It's just dependency and greed.

7. Baronofdecency

Baronofdecency Guest

GPU:
    This
    Thanks chess.Yeah i also believe its just a dirty business trick to sell custumers their newest graphics cards and it comes from AMD.Thats the reason of discontinuing support of the HD 4000 and 3000 series from months ego while nvidia still supporting even Geforce 8 series.For example AC IV BF thats a nvidia game and supports even DX 9.Thanks nvidia for your support.You bring the love to the heart of many old school gamers.

8. Baronofdecency

Baronofdecency Guest

GPU:
    This
    How microsoft force them when the recommended GPU for their newest OS(Windows 8) is DX 10?

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    bro it's simple, dx11 gives u tessalation, dx 10 doesnt have that option,so they are forcing us to upgrade in a way or another. so offcourse u need to upgrade to get the option.

10. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I've wondered this for some time as well. Even in some of the first games supporting DX11, DX10 cards were locked to DX9 (lost planet 2, crysis 2 for example)

I think part of it is AMD and Nvidia prompting users to upgrade. Call of Duty Ghosts and Crysis 3 requiring DX11 just screams like a PR move to make them seem "next-gen".

I think another part is because of drivers. If a game is struggling on the HD 4000 series due to driver issues, it's hard to fix it when AMD has said they won't support their DX10 products any longer.

I think the last big part of this is because it's easier and cheaper for the studios to require more brute force rather than spending time on optimizing their games for older hardware.

I had liked to see some proper benchmarks showing how for example Battlefield 4 or Metro Last Light run on some of the popular DX10/10.1 cards

I didn't expect DX10/10.1 to be dropped until 1-2 years from now, when most games will be made for the PS4/Xbone and PCs with similar or stronger capabilites

11. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I think we're starting to see the marketing more and more in PC specs. Notably from CoD Ghosts and even the newest Metal Gear port coming out in a few weeks.

As for older cards, they will perform surprisingly well. I actually unloaded my 580 last year... and have been using my old 260... granted I haven't played Crysis 3 or other intense titles... but the RE6 demo ran good, all of the indie games ran great... so older cards will run the majority of titles well, just not the big budget tech demos.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I think you're being a bit harsh to be honest. AMD doesn't have unlimited funds, at some point support needs to be dropped. The 3800 cards from AMD came out in 2007, the 4800's in 2008. Considering it's almost 2014 I'd say that dropping support for those lines is more than fair. As for the "Nv games support DX9!" statement, so do AMD titles. Not sure why you're making a distinction.

Sadly it seems we're in a world where people want games to become better looking, they want developers to push the boundries of what PC's can do, but at the same time a huge chunk of people want to stay sat on the same hardware for the the sort of lifespan you'd buy a console for. PC's are an ever evolving platform, if upgrading once in awhile isn't your thing you might want to consider finding a different hobby. I'd imagine most people on this site buy a new GPU at least every 3-4 years, support being dropped for older cards is a simply not an issue.