Farewell to Thomas Edison’s most famous invention courtesy of Uncle Sam

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Dec 21, 2013.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    CFL lights are incredibly cheap. LED are the ones that are currently expensive.

Also, they don't all have to warm up, my main light is instant on, though my side ones warm up, i'm unsure how you tell the difference.

2. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    £15 for a 100W equivalent LED. No warm up time and you'll save money since you wont actually need to replace it for a decade and will be using 1/10th of the electricity during that time.

The 60W equivalent ones are only around £6.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Nikola Tesla, edison was a pompus a$$. Also edison did not invent the first light bulb, even though the school you went to said so. Lol!

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Thank you I though I was the only one that viewed Edison as a d-bag.

5. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nope, there are many that know he's a d-bag :p

6. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    That old series 'Sanctuary' certainly gives Tesla credit where credit is due, even though he is portrayed as a vampire. :)

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I could have. But I have never been a fan of fluorescent lighting. It just doesn't look right to me.

8. aless83

aless83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte r9 280x
  9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yep^ good read...

Edison reminds me of apple...patent troll...should I change thread title? j/k lol

11. otaku

otaku Guest

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    not a fan of his either. it makes me sick when the british government is trying to make us give these up but when i counsel house gets rewired they have outside lights that come on all night every night, and the huge buildings they have lit up constantly. stupidity as usual from the people who know better (apparently)

12. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I think people should be able to buy the incandescents if they want them- try turning on a CFL when it's cold out, it'll have a long warm up time.

That said, I swapped out almost every bulb in my house back in 08 or so and never went back. I have 4 100watt equivalents down in my basement that are each only 20watt CFLs. Nice and bright. Downside is that you're not suppose to throw them in the trash cause of the mercury, but at least the amount if so small you're not going to lose sleep if you break one of two.

LED bulbs aren't there yet, but that's another one I'm watching. LEDs don't even attract bugs, so I'm already tempted to swap out some of my porch lights this summer.

13. otaku

otaku Guest

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    the leds ive installed are great for directional light and do last great but they still blow regardless of what the companies tell you. ive actually just gone back to a good old fashioned strip light for my kitchen and at the side of the designer multi led thing i had its like having the sun in my house and its only like 50watt

14. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    We replace a CFL at least every 6 to 8 months, at first we thought we were going mad but started *SPAM* them when installed. So the savings I enjoy in electricity cost I give to the CFL bulb manufactures. Do not forget the amount of mercury being dumped in landfills.

15. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I do like these because they seem to last longer. I've only had to change 2 or 3 since we've started using them. My mom uses 3-way bulb in the lamps and they need to be changed many times per year.

16. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    The main light in my bedroom (only 1) maxes out at a 60watt candella bulb. So i used adapter E11 to E27 adapter, and now i have a big ugly 42watt florescent bulb hanging there. Which is a big Florescent bulb. It's WAY brighter than what my previous options were.

17. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    You almost certainly have a wiring issue. CFLs should last for years.
    Oh and modern CFLs should not have a warm up period. Haven't seen a name brand do that in years, only the cheapos at ikea.

18. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
  19. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Even if it isn't cold out, it takes the CFL reflector bulbs a ridiculously long amount of time (I'd guess 90 seconds). Even longer than the standard curly bulbs. Explain that to me! hah

I didn't know that about LED's though, that's pretty nice.

20. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Incandescent bulbs are still easy to find in here. Many still use 5 watts bulb for outdoor lighting. Also many chicken farmers still use 100w bulbs to keep their chicks warm