NVIDIA G-Sync review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2013.

1. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    If I focus on it then I'm sure I'll notice it, just don't focus on it and enjoy playing the game, when you're sitting further away like you do from a TV it isn't something you'll notice as much any ways.

15ms is what the TV benchmarks in game mode on an average, not peak, which tbh is better than most monitors. All the time they advertise 2ms, but that's always a peak, then in reality it's more 20-40ms...

I think on a 60hrz panel you only need around 16ms to not have ghosting and on a 120hrz monitor you need around 8ms on average.

You get more input lag most probably from your controller, your internet or even yourself and how long it takes to decide on your actions.

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I don't notice tearing but I notice ghosting and input lag. That is cause I've played always v-sync off so I've gotten accustomed to it. My current display has almost no input lag whatsoever same goes for my plasma telly. I think I would notice difference when I would see g-sync monitor tho as it will feel nicer for sure.

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Nvidia never fail on pricing, drop em lads and bend over, make sure yer fully lubed up as well :D

4. exquisitev

exquisitev Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 WINDFORCE OC
    Bought the monitor last week with G-Sync in mind, wonder how much the diy kit will cost.

5. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    WOW,so much hate...I bet that if it where a AMD exclusiv technology u where having an orgasm right now and laughing at nVidia owners.
    I really like this technology but I`ll wait for 27 inch monitors with G-Sync.

6. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    i think it will get cheaper when it will change from this
    [​IMG]
    in to this
    [​IMG]
    oh **** what is wrong with graphic card doing this stuff instead ?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Hot damn it does what they claim, this great news to bad the price for the monitor is that one them new highend gpu too.

My next monitor will have Gsync but that wont happen till i can get one around around the price of I got my VS248, Then I will rejoice in the knowledge my framerate dont get crippled by vsync when it cant keep the multiples of the refreshrate.

IF nvidia plays there card right and license this tech out to every GPU maker and its in all monitor they will be sitting a gold mine and have another reason to raise them prices not that they ever really did need a reason for that.

First new tech to come out over decade I see as a game changer. All those new features and faster card pretty graphics mean nothing to me if i have turn off vsync and deal with tearing. Which to mean was never and option .

Though I kinda curious to how gsync would deal with Desktop composition being on? seeing that technical is vsync and if you turn off desktop composition desktop no long looks as pretty. Is there gona be way to have desktop compistion on for games that windowed? and have composition vsync effect disabled? so the 2 function dont interfer with each other?

I notice it a great deal one way or another is especial bad on ps3 games. Some people notice with out looking for it and think its the most hideous thing to happen in gaming. I rather have crap for framerates then see tearing. Other people would rather have the tearing instead of the crap for performance.

Just like some people cant see ghosting other see it with even 2ms and nvidia lightboost. in that respect CRT are still king everything else LCD/LED tech has surpassed.

what one person see the other person will not what one person will deal with anothers might not. it all comes down to the person

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Nope, theres nothing wrong with G-Sync itself.

9. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Unbelievable. Gsync would have been a major blow to AMD, but they priced it beyond the reach of most pc gamers. Better to just buy a 120hz+ monitor, tearing is virtually a non-issue at 120hz or higher (if you have good fps).

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Gsync is awesome good stuff by NVIDIA, prices will go down just like all things

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The problem isn't the technology or that it's from NVidia. It's the price and the "proprietary" part.

Not all of us are "fanboys".

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    butthurt much? it's both AMD and Nvidia users complaining if you failed to notice. the price is a joke. for a 24" 1080p TN Monitor. it's at least twice the price it should've been. you spoke like a butthurt fanboy, I'm afraid. Or do you honestly think that £500 for such a monitor is a good price?

13. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    So just because I said I like this technology makes me a fanboy./facepalm
    I also like Mantle,what that makes me?Also a fanboy?
    The price is a little too much but we can wait for the price to drop,no problem in waiting if u have allready a 120 Hz monitor.
    I really don`t give a crap if they share it with AMD,I just find this technology very good for gamers.
    Now I want to see what Mantle will bring in to the scene,but I suspect that we will not see it this year,since DICE is too busy with patching BF4.

14. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    This,
    Still, i only want a 1080p 24'' 120hz+ monitor with gsync, could not care less for higher resolutions, but that price... damn.. round 2 it is

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Damn, I nailed that price right on the button. Sad thing is I'll probably end up with one sooner rather than later.

16. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Why?

Assuming you can drive the game at a reasonable framerate there should be similar amounts of lag introduced by the underlying solution, should it not?

V-Sync holding new frames until the next refresh and G-Sync delaying the actual refresh both introduce lag, albeit in different ways.

I suppose I'm pretty alone in this but I don't have any real issues with tearing, not even on a 60Hz display, but input lag drives me absolutely bonkers. Enabling V-Sync feels like someone had added artificial inertia to everything you do in-game.

Disregarding the fact that the price of a G-Sync solution ended up far beyond what I'd be willing to pay (ignoring the need to get a new GPU) I've been looking at the initial reviews and so far none even mention input lag, which is discouraging.

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    V-Sync adds at least 1 frame buffer if double buffering is used; at least 2 frames if triple buffering is used, which basically allows FPS to fluctuate below the refresh rate without going to divisors of that refresh rate e.g. allows 46FPS @ 60Hz rather than dipping to 30FPS at 60Hz. This is accomplished by letting the GPU keep rendering to the third buffer if the refresh is missed, and this means the previous frame will be duplicated and displayed again aka annoying VSync-exclusive kind of stutter.

Multi-GPU is the same, an additional frame is buffered over double buffering and this acts like Triple Buffering, letting FPS fluctuate below refresh rate.

VSync off means the GPU is painting the screen directly, splicing frames into one another as they are being rendered and finished out of sync with the monitor's refresh rate.

Nvidia seem to have said that there is no buffering in the G-Sync module; the 768MB of RAM are used to store the previous frame (and obviously something else too) so that the module can do pixel overdrive calculations required as a consequence of the variable refresh rate, as opposed to a static one, which is the norm.

Therefore, G-Sync is supposed to have the input lag of VSync off, without the tearing or stutter of having FPS below or above refresh, VSync on or off. Even with VSync on, FPS not equal to refresh rate also equals stutter though it's less annoying than VSync stutter and not nearly as visible when FPS is close to refresh rate or higher at the higher Hz (e.g. 170FPS @ 120 - 144Hz).

I can't but agree. Reviews really need to mention input lag. However, there still doesn't exist a standard method for measuring total input lag scientifically although there are ways we could discuss here and now, so it'll have to rely upon subjective comparisons, which is pretty much what all these G-Sync reviews are about.

I think the input lag impressions should go to someone who is accustomed to running lagless CRT / LCD at 120Hz with VSync off. That way we get a fair representation. Those who tolerate VSync lag at 60Hz, it's not going to matter much to them although I'd argue it would be quite the experience for them to get used to having less input lag @60Hz and most importantly @120-144Hz which should be the target for now and the (short-term?) future.

Tip for decreasing VSync-induced input lag, cap FPS to refresh rate. No, don't cap it at 1-2FPS below as that will cause hitching.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You're not alone, I never use vsync and screen tearing has never ever been an issue for me.

OK I lie, the last set of AMD drivers caused really bad tearing for some reason, but that is a one off situation.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    It removes input lag generated from the monitor and normal vsync. maybe that is why is not mentioned cause it not issue, it even mentioned in the review. Any input lag you may get is no long from your monitor if using gsync

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    On Newegg the non G-Sync version is 279.99usd. The article puts the G-Sync variant at 602. That puts the price of the add-in card at 322usd. That's the price of another midrange card and then some.