Nvidia INF driver modding (Guide)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Not sure if there is an issue as you ran it in normal mode....
    Safemode is recommended.

2. Neralio

Neralio Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 270
    I got to finally try 3 drivers ranging from latest, middle, and oldest and they all won't fix the freeze. Ran it on safe mode too and dunno if the old version should work without the INF mod as I couldn't find any of the .inf files. Will give the drivers on that link a shot, iirc the latest on the NVIDIA archives was R304. No harm in giving another older driver a shot I guess, though I'm fearful as I read on earlier posts on this thread about the mysteries of trying an old driver on a new GPU(don't have any idea if my GPU is old though). Oh yeah and if I dont find the .inf file does that mean the driver is compatible with my laptop? Thanks again you guys for helping this clueless caveman

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    From your previous post, it sounds like you have more problems besides drivers. I would sort out your BSODs and try other games before you blame the drivers.

4. Neralio

Neralio Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 270
    The blue screens seem to be only during patching in GW2. I think the data on GW2 got corrupted during reformat(no idea how it was back upped as I wasn't the one who did the reformat). Off to try some games at steam

5. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Maybe you can try giving the minidump, so I can check which driver/device are causing it, or it is just the game is corrupted. :)

6. Neralio

Neralio Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 270
    How do I perform a minidump? Also I'm about to try the R302 driver from your drivers link Cyberdyne, but I just can't seem to find the .inf files, any of them. I got the R302 version for Windows 7, but my GPU wasn't in the list of supported ones.

7. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    The BSoD minidump is at the %SystemRoot%\Minidump, you can find it there. :)

8. theyellowlemon

theyellowlemon New Member

GPU:
    9800GTX+ 512
    old drivers

I'm building a new rig including a 770 soon. I have one question. Is it possible to use older drivers (100 / 200) on newer cards via modding or some other means?

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I can't think of any other 'means' other then modding the inf.

And the simple answer is yes. But the further back you go the more problems you will most likely come across. Just be aware, a driver that old may work well and good on your current GPU, but you are making a big jump here, drivers act differently on different GPUs. I would give the latest a try and go from there.
    Also be aware the driver you are modding needs to already support the OS you are using. So obviously if you use Windows 8, you can only use drivers made after it came out. Technically it should be possible to get around that, but that requires editing way beyond this guide and my knowledge.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  10. MiR4i

MiR4i Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 x2
    I wanted to delve into this a bit sometime next week, but is there a GPU string for the GTX 780 Ti? The list in the OP only has up to GTX 780/Titan.

Can I pull it from the existing WHQL drivers somehow?

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah you can pull it from another inf. Just follow my instructions, only rather then using my pastebin links, you use the same sections I tell you to paste things into... if that makes sense. I'll update the links in a bit so you can use that if you want.

12. MiR4i

MiR4i Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 x2
    Gotcha, thanks. I pulled it from nvdisp.inf

Code:
    NVIDIA_DEV.100A = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti"

13. bluride

bluride Guest

GPU:
    G.SKILL RipjawsZ F3-19200
    THank you Cyberdyne for writing this guide. I built a HTPC/Gaming computer with these specs:

Intel i7 4770k processor

GPU -GTX 780

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW - Black

2 Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW in Raid 0 config

Asus Z87 PRO LGA 1150 Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GXM

Swiftech H220 Quiet Power PLUG-AND-PLAY Liquid Cooling System 4 Pin 2x 120mm Fans 3/8 Fitting, Water block for GTX780.

Windows 7 Pro with WMC.

Ceton InfinTV 6 PCIe cable tuner

Samsung 50" Led TV

2 WD black 4GB Hard drives

I am having an issue with both live TV and MKV Playback and am getting video stuttering. I have read that the Nvidia 314.22 driver helps this issue. I read your post and found that there was no GTX 780 found in my .ini file so I copied it from a newer drivers .ini I am pretty sure I read this in one of the posts that this will work?

When I pasted the GPU string in my .ini I found that the line I pasted did not line up with the other lines. I just added spaces where needed to make it look exactly like the other lines. I hope this is correct??

I have not tried it yet since I need to go over the procedure to do a clean install, remove the working driver before trying the moded driver.

Any comments or suggestions on what I have done would be greatly appreciated.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You can still launch the installation to see if you pass the device check to make sure it's modded right. If it allows you to continue with the install then you did it right, you don't need to actually install it to check.

You do not need to add or take away spaces to make things 'line up'. The spaces are just for you to more easily make sense of what is going on. Just paste it in and that's it. And I assume you put the device id in the right place also? If you did, then you are done. Give it a go.

15. bluride

bluride Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for your help Cyberdyne. I selected setup from the the driver folder and am able to select custom install. I then have a choice of selecting:
    Graphics driver
    3D vision controller driver
    3D vision driver
    HD audio driver
    PhysX system driver

My guess is I would just install the Graphics driver 314.22??? The rest of the drivers can stay with the latest driver version which is what I have installed now or will a clean install delete them?? not sure on how I should go about this??

I realize this is a basic question but I don't want to mess it up.

Appreciate the help

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

16. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    there's a program, will do it all for you. (inf. modding)

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The fact you got that far means you modded it fine. As for the rest of the components, it's up to you. I don't use anything else other then the driver and physx. If you need the other parts, I suggest you use the one included with the driver not newer parts, usually not a good idea to mix-n-match.

@SLI-756; Ok that's cool. I would check it out and maybe add it to the OP for people to try. But you don't give very much in way of a program name, google leads to this post or post and videos like it (but obviously not nearly as good haha). Not very helpful. I mean you, not google... you are not very helpful.

18. bluride

bluride Guest

GPU:
    Ok, Great. So the mod looks good. I will leave all the drivers selected. Not sure If I should preform a clean install???

19. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I could only mention it cause it's classified.
    at least folks know it exists, it been spoken of before actually.

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @bluride; Probably a good idea to clean install. You probably don't need to use DDU or anything like that, just check the clean install option from the installer. When it's done you can make sure it's installed ok by takin a gander at this-
    [​IMG]
    (right click desktop, nv control panel, system information, components)
    Last 6 digits of MOST parts should match. Some don't like physx. You will know the install is messed up if the last 6 digits match the driver version of the driver you were using before you installed this one.

@SLI-756; How special. Pointless to mention it only to make it known, what a strange high-horse attitude to have over something so simple.

Stormyhorse likes this.