Full Start menu back with Windows 8.2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2013.

1. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Windows 7 already has a Start menu... Earth to Microsoft: Instead, try innovating something that will convince us to care about "upgrading", right now Windows 8 is a downgrade.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's clearly not a downgrade, it had everything that was good in W7 and more, so definitely an upgrade
    The problem is that it just isn't a very good upgrade for the money they are asking for it.

Saying that it's still my favourite operating system so far, and I got it cheap.

W8.2 adding the "old" start menu is pointless and a waste of time, those who wanted it added it back themselves and those who didn't won't care.

Not like this is going to do anything to change the decline of PC sales, if your not gaming or working a tablet is a far more desirable choice, and for many an MS tablet isn't much of a choice.

3. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4080
    u can always turn aero off... but u cant turn it on in win8/.1
    and i doubt we will be seeing any dx11.2 games as they dont bring anything worth the effort to make it exclusive

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Metro is a dumbed down interface that dumb people prefer over a start menu ;).

You can turn Windows 7 into metro. Just dump all the program icons, including all the secondary program crap links you get when you install a program, on to the desktop, and then select to view extra large icons! Done :3eyes:. The icon search function can be enabled using Bing desktop. This is like, way better you know, like like sooooo cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013

5. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i lol at the ''gurus'' having a bad time with windows 8/8.1 imo a well tweaked windows 8 pc has better performance than windows 7 in all areas, speacially in multitasking.

The: ''i rather stick to windowz sevenz because it has no issues'' makes you wonder about dem guruz abilitiez.

haha all in all. windows 8 and how they are bringing back features that never needed to be taking out in the first place are a good thing for the pc area.

and i hope mantle can bring back competition to directx so we can finaly see some of those praised performance gains from DX.11.1 11.12 etc so i dont really see whats the problem here, just a mob of angry ppl posting their hate towards metro, beacuse they cant deal with it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm guessing that is sarcasm as the start menu is a much more dumbed down interface, it's like watching someone use a mouse instead of the keyboard to do things like copy and paste.

The fact it was mostly PC "noobs" who had difficulty switching back to a more efficient, keyboard orientated way of doing that is proof of that.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Backwards is always a step "in the right direction".... I prefer advancement and going backwards is never an advancement.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wow .. lots of apologists for bad design in here.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Windows 7 wasn't badly designed, just nothing new over Vista.

10. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Windows 9 can correct this. Integrate the Metro screen on to the traditional desktop which is a tragic waste of space (OH BUT ERM, WALLPAPERZ R SO COOL DOE GET ME DOE), then include a start button for the classic start menu and rename it to "Noob Menu".

Many thanks.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Win8/8.1 isn't bad design. It's better suited to those of us that don't want a cluttered desktop, but want quick/easy access to all of our apps without having to click through menus. It takes me literally 2 clicks to get to any program I need in Win8.1, whether it's double-clicking on a desktop icon or clicking on a metro tile. How is that "bad design"?

Fewer clicks = more efficient = more productive

The purpose of the start menu was to make Windows more "user friendly"....so yeah, I'd say the start menu is pretty well dumbed down....

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    [​IMG]

Could u share with us lesser folk the performance gains of which you speak.....?

13. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    Hmm I never use it anyway. Doesn't bother me at all, but cool that they are adding it back in I guess.

Since we got 8.1 free are we gonna have to buy 8.2?

14. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4080
  15. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Windows 8 shows no clear performance gains in gaming, sometimes it squeezes a couple of fps extra, other times performance is worse. This is not an upgrade for gamers. DX 11 is not big news either, at all. Just get rid of Metro and I'll buy a copy.

16. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm assuming that you formed that opinion based on benchmarks that you saw online. If so, it's silly to base your opinions on other people's benchmarks. Seeing that you have an fx 8350, I should let you know that 8.1 is far better optimized for your cpu. I saw a huge performance boost when switching to 8.1. I had stuttering and micro stuttering on my fx 6300. After installing win 8.1, not only did I gain fps, but I also noticed a huge improvement in fps smoothness. It just felt a heck of a lot better and 60fps felt like 60fps again. Windows 8.1 has native support and is better optimized for the AMD fx CPU's therefore your gaming performance will be better on 8 compared to 7.

17. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Yes that opinion is based on various benchmarks I saw online, 'you name it' website said Windows 8 didn't do much for gaming performance. I'm glad to hear about the improvements you experienced, I'll wait to hear more about this 8.2 update. I don't think Microsoft realized how much we all would grow to love Windows 7, I personally moved to it as an OS X 10.6 user... I was sick of Apple ruining their OS the same way Microsoft is doing, dumbing everything down and integrating tablet sort of crap into a desktop OS. Windows 7 is my favorite OS ever, that coming from someone who grew up with the wonderful (in my opinion) Mac OS 7, 8, 9, and 10. Metro is a HUGE turnoff.

18. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i speak as a whole, windows 8 memory and processor optimizations, makes your games run smoother if properly tweaked, its an experience that only the users that install it, and have the patience can verify.

disableling windows dynamic ticks, and turning off/optimizing indexing, disabeling core parking, plus uninstalling the apps that came with windows 8 should be enough for an avarage user, to experience a better multitasking enviroment.

ps: is that you in the pic? if not, nice joke.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You never need to see Metro/ModernUI unless you want to and choose to go into it.
    Window 8.1 is also less dumbed down the Windows 7 ever was, so your not losing productivity either.

20. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    i have posted this before and i will do it again. i just do not understand why there's so much bitching going on about windows 8. last year i refused to switch to windows 8 because of people like these. saying that the metro ui sucks and ESPECIALLY that there's actually no PHYSICAL start button (which is obviously not true, ever since windows 8 the start/metro button has always been in the lower left corner of the screen).
    the metro ui is the same concept as the start button, even better functionality-wise. why are people bitching about it? because it's FULL SCREEN? goddammit i'm sick of stuff like this. metro has the same function as the old start menu, THE END. i highly suspect that most people here that are still bashing the metro ui are still windows 7 users that simply tried metro for 5 minutes, said it sucks because it's different and went back to 7.

don't get me wrong. i loved 7. more than i loved xp. and i didn't like the idea of having metro. but when i tried it, i simply got used to it so fast that i don't necessarily want the start button back. the only feature that i didn't like was the fact that they added 3 separate tabs for searching while in metro (apps, files and settings). that's it. get real guys. you can't possibly bash metro just because it's full screen.