Full Start menu back with Windows 8.2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 10, 2013.

1. mjw

mjw Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660Ti 2GB SC
    Start menu :O

Who cares? Nothing wrong with 8/8.1

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Since getting windows 8, I've found myself not usin the start button at work on windows 7.

Got my taskbar setup for apps and skydive for network documents / shared documents. Anything I need to do is there, ready.

At home I got windows 8...and really don't need the traditional functions of the start bar, but like the additional functions windows 8 has in its star button which windows 7 doesn't have - unless you troll through the tree-branch system and try and find it.

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I highly recommend using Launchy on 7. It's like Start Menu on steroids, as it can find a lot of data and places frequently used items on top of the list.
    When I started using Win8, Launchy became obsolete, as Win8 Start Menu does basically the same thing when using Win key -> type.

4. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    This!
    Start menu and Aero, if MS add both these back I would be on Windows 8 in a heartbeat with my main gaming rig.

The modern UI is quite frankly so 90's, its flat and lifeless and does not even have that fake 3D that XP's UI had.

5. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    finally.....

Even without star menu and with tiled menus, I still loves windows 8 over 7 simply due to its speed and responsiveness over any other M$ OSes. With a Quad Core and an SSD the system will simply fly. With 8.2 the reintroduction of start menu is a waaarm welcome to the consumers:banana::banana:

6. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    Man, the sadistic side of me really likes news like this! All the drones defending Microsoft's "vision" are getting a reality check that even Microsoft agrees that bringing back the working and tested-and-true Start Menu makes sense and deserves to be reinstated. It's the New Coke all over again. It doesn't matter how better the vision is internally, in a market system where products are sold to external users, it's the latter's opinion that matters. I will try 8.2 if this turns out to be legit, though there are other issues in Windows 8 that I fundamentally disagree with.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    MS should re-institute it as an OPTION, like should have been done from the start. Now, those of us that don't need/want the old start menu, will probably be forced to have it again or stay with 8/8.1 (which is my option).

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Can I choose not to use start menu?

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Agree 100%^ the option should have been there from the start of 8.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    W8 is designed for touchscreens, even though only 15% of laptops actually have touch screen capability. For many mouse/KB users Metro UI is a nightmare.

MS in their wisdom completely removed the old style UI from W8, at the very least they could have retained a hidden alternate UI option for power user, but no even that was too much....

Their bullheadedness is partly to blame for the slump in PC sales.....but tbh there just isn't the reason to upgrade like their was when W7 CAME OUT AND THE MAJORITY OF USERS Were still on XP.

The 64bit kernel was a major reason for upgrading.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

11. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Assigning program for files extensions is bad in windows 8, and the only program i use for watching videos doesn't work properly when i try to switch to another video file the program and explorer hangs for 1 minute - a minor problem lack of start menu

12. Comrade_Jerkov

Comrade_Jerkov Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1
    XP is slowly fading away. The vast majority of XP systems are in business applications where companies have avoided implementing a company wide OS update for various reasons, but ultimately money and the whole why fix what ain't broke philosophy.

13. Kevin cobley

Kevin cobley Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070
    Paul Thurrott is a dill, his columns extoled the virtues of the new "backup" systems in Windows 8.1 none of which actually work, they need to go back to the Windows 7 system image and the boot disc at least that worked, the 8.1 system image requires the 8.1 install disc which isn't supplied to upgraders.
    Metro version of Internet Explorer doesn't function properly and Hybrid sleep is like a Phoenix that arises again every time u kill it.
    Microsoft rushed this product into production for all those that wanted a start button, I've already got use to Windows 8 and don't either use or need the start button. They totally screwed Windows 8 because a few lame brains with big mouths couldn't operate without a start button, and they call those head less geese "tech heads".

14. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It works flawlessly for all programs I tried so far. Perhaps the piece of software you're using is malfunctioning?

15. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    actually i have two programs i want to assign extensions one of which is AIMP3 that firstly needs administrator privileges and secondly when i turn file assign windows pops up with another stupid window, other program is BestPlayer when i switch all extensions it doesn't change anything so i have to manually change program i use for all the files i want

oh i forgot - windows networking is broken in windows 8, i can`t access and copy files from user folder in C:\Users when i connect and try to fix someones drive, windows 7 had no problems with that it dynamically changed all files and folders for new administrator and started copying

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I don't agree that it's too late. Windows 8/8.1 is just getting started. The whole idea behind this OS is just getting started.

SSD improvements, faster load times, and the upcoming CHOICE to use Metro or Desktop with a fully functional INTEGRATED Startbar.

I've had a start bar since day one though, fully functional at that. Start8. Come Windows 8.2, I won't have to bother with it, but I'll sorta miss it at the same time. I don't even notice Start8.

17. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    No Start Menu is one of many annoyances with Windows 8. One thing I hate is the fact that alot of stuff appear fullscreen only, without an X in the upper-right corner, this should go too! dragging the mouse to move or to "minimize" fullscreen stuff is just annoying, it's for touch screen! all touch screen features should be OPTIONAL. I probably forget more stuff I can't stand in Win8 but I stopped used it a while ago but one thing is sure, the lack of real Start Menu is NOT the only annoyance.

I just want the Win7 UI with Win8 core, NOTHING ELSE.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What's too late, is MS actually giving users OPTIONS as to which UI they want to use.

And some of us just want OPTIONS to make Windows look/work the way we want/need it to instead of being forced into a single UI that isn't efficient for everyone.

19. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4080
    funny how everybody screams about how fast win8/.1 is when its missing aero... and other eye candy .... witch kinda made win7 fun for me... ohhh noes win8 eats 100 mb less ohh joy
    yeah i know u can add aero glass and classic shell ... but still doesnt look pretty enough... and for 100 mb of memory and dx11.2... i for one im not moving ! :p

20. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    yea we want aero back or gtf ms, i love how the plain and bold w8 looks on tablets and phones but i cant stand it on my main rig that kind of look is just for toys ms should understain that jeez