The best place for the pagefile ?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by MrBridgeSix, Dec 4, 2013.

1. MrBridgeSix

MrBridgeSix Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1060 6GB
    I have a barracuda (7200.14) 7200rpm 64mb cache (160mb/s) and a WD Caviar Green 5400rpm 64mb cache(70mb/s).

What is the best place to put de pagefile ? considering that I have the OS installed on the barracuda.

I have 8gb DDR3 1333mhz RAM and normaly use 16gb of pagefile.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You didn`t specify your OS. If you will create page file on both HDDs Windows should use the less busy (atm) HDD for paging.

Edit: I suspect that having page file on each of HDDs will be the best scenario. Because even fastest HDD can be overwhelmed.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. sent3D

sent3D Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD7850 1GB 1150/1300
    You can place pagefile on first partition of first disk, given the fact that it's a faster drive. But isn't 16GB of pagefile too much especially with 8GB of RAM ?

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I'd just leave it on the fastest drive and maybe trim down the size to 8192

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    You could even try making it a static 1024mb to see if you need to use that much space, from the default settings, or possibly disable it all together. No need or benefit from moving it from the OS drive.

6. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    Just an FYI... It has been my experience that many games and computer software requires at least a 2GB minimum page file set. Otherwise you will run into system crashes...

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's not true.
    The only time a pagefile is even required is when there isn't enough RAM installed.

8. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    That's not true. I suggest you do some research. Some software is designed to look for and use a paging file, regardless of the amount of system RAM you have.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You're the one who needs to do some research buddy.

10. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    Guy, I work in the tech industry supporting all kinds of research, educational and business applications. Some of these applications are DESIGNED to look for a paging file on client-side machines. If there is none, they crash regardless even if you have 1TB of mem available (I help manage super-compute clusters, and we do offload workloads from client machines whose memory limitations would slow the process down to weeks instead of days or hours) And when you do as much debugging and error-code hunting as I do, it's a requirement to have a paging file set.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Well I've been running without a pagefile since I upgraded to 12GB RAM a few months back and have had 0 problems

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol, is that supposed to impress me? Here's a newsflash for you; I'm an Engineer for Fujitsu - and you are full of it.

APPLICATIONS have know idea how much memory is available since they live in a virtual environment controlled by the OS.

It's apparent you have no idea how the OS actually works so stop repeating rumours you heard on the internet. I speak facts.

13. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    Great for you, and what do you design? Software? Hardware? And no I'm not full of it. This is what I do for a living. I work in the Geosciences field for a large university, doing server-side and client-side support (with some helpdesk type duties in my downtime) on Linux, Unix, Win Server and IBM OS's.

Go ahead and try running VMs on servers with no page file set. It's not wise... And good luck getting any debug info from a box that has no pagefile set when the system shuts down or just restarts after a long data crunch. Do I risk running that same model again, and have the same thing happen... That wastes too many man hours, I like to debug so my clients didn't just run some compute process for days and have it crash for a reason I cannot ascertain.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    We are not discussing debugging.

You stated applications and games will crash unless a pagefile is present, you also stated applications look for a pagefile. Neither of which is true.

Btw a PF is not necessary to obtain debug info, just Google "debugging without a pagefile".....

15. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    I've seen crashes happen, on machines with up to 64gb of mem. As soon as a paging file was set - problems went away. Not sure what else to tell you there. I'm not lying to you.

I know about MS's hotfix in regards to a memory dump without a paging file... We do use that as well on our Windows boxes.

I'm talking debugging, simply because we have users here that do more than just game and light office productivity on their PCs. We also have people that run all kinds of virtual environments.

16. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Lol, what does all this server-side\client-side crap have to do with anything? Judging by the OP's specs it's a general use machine and would likely run the same with no PF or a 16gb PF. Not sure why some are so one-side on this topic, it's a matter of seconds to enable\disable it.

17. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    It just amazes me that it's still a question to disable, being there are so many advantages in having a pagefile.

Pill Monster, there are some apps even from Microsoft that need a pagefile set or they will not function properly. If MS breaks its own rules you seem to think exist in how apps use or detect a pagefile, there are sure many others...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No question, MS does that all the time.

Btw here is the hotfix to allow debugging without a PF, hope you find it useful.

A hotfix is available that enables a Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer to create a memory dump file without a page file

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    "Designed to look for" does not mean "require". Pill is right. Any application that looks for an enabled page file simply does so as a "convenience" if you will to the user. Even though in this day and age it's far from a convenience, since most people have more than enough memory.

20. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    What difference does it make? If the application is looking for a pagefile out of "convenience" and crashes when it can't find one, it still crashes - regardless if it was designed that way out of convenience or requirement. If your app crashes without a pagefile, seems like it's requiring one to me!