Sony PS4 thread

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    The X1 is designed like a PC. Even the BD drive has metal case. The internal hard drive is on some plastic shelf. The drives are connected to the mobo with short SATA cables.

I think the DDR3 ram needs the same trace length to all chips. While GDDR5 doesn't, so Sony could squeeze some closer to the chip. Also, the cooling system is more compact in the PS4 blower-type seen on PC GPUs. Also the PS4 mobo shape leaves a spot so the HDD can sit next to it not over it.

I don't know, it seems like MS didn't really try to save space... and Sony obviously put a good amount of time into it.

For what it's worth, tests show that they run at the same temp... so I don't see any benefit in having a bigger case for the X1.

2. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-making-of-killzone-shadow-fall
    Killzone SF tech article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0h3T_Y9B0Y

Not too bad for a "last gen PC". :rolleyes:
    And this is only a launch title....Jesus it's terrifying to think about what will be doable two-three years down the line.

And this is what Avalanche has to say about the PS4 :
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/395260/avalanche-studios-exec-ps4-will-out-power-most-pcs-for-years-to-come/
    He is 100% spot on.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yup seen the images before. After RROD cost ms Billions I'm glad they took and put massive fan in there. It's silent too.

4. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Yeah I see some talk about temps but one thing I was worried about after owning the previous PS3 and Xbox 360 Slim was noise, this X1 is very very quiet so I wonder if there plan was keeping sound down with a larger fan or whatever, all I know is I was surprised, and pleased with how quiet my X1 is.

PS3 was nice and quiet but Xbox 360 just used to annoy me if it was left on at night.

5. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    PS4 is definitely audible when the fan ramps up. But it's tolerable.

Best part of that article was the info on GT7 possibly next year WOOT WOOT!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Has anyone compared the two noise wise?

Wouldn't surprise me if the huge size of the Xbox was to keep it quiet and living room/wife friendly.

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  9. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I can easily see the X-Bone potentially having yet another overheating issue. It's set up exactly like a computer, and cooled exactly like a computer, but unlike a computer, it doesn't really have much room for ventilation. There isn't anything to pull the warm air from the heatsink fan OUT of the chassis. There is only the one side vent to help.. and i can't see that removing every bit of air. Not to mention the gaping vent on the top that i can only imagine people forgetfully putting something on top of, or clogging with dust in no time flat.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    agreed.

It really does look like a PC innards from 1998, with beige and brown everywhere.

At least the PS4 has something new and cutting edge about it, instead of off-the-shelf PC bits slammed together in whatever large enough plastic box we could find.

11. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    He's right if you consider that a lot of PC's out there will only just about handle casual gaming, but 8Gig ram while great for consoles, most PC 'gamers' have been on 8Gig+ for the past 3 years or so even though most games wouldnt use more than 2Gig on 32bit windows, over the next year or 2 most PC gamers will have 16Gig+

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I find it strange that "alleged" PC gamers think the Xbox looks more likely to overheat.

PC gamers are supposed to be the ones educating the non tech folks.
    We all know the Xbox is overpriced and underpowered, but a bigger fan = less heat and noise, end of...why people are trying to suggest otherwise is worrying and hugely scummy.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Who cares, how many pc games use more than 4gb. If we're talking vram, that'd be a diff story.

In my xp, I've got about 4gb of sysem ram to much in my pc and I'm about 4gb short of vram.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    as we both said it will push air nicely out of the box. Proof we have:

http://kotaku.com/what-the-ps4-and-xbox-one-look-like-to-the-predator-1470803239

Mind you the difference is only like 10-30 celsius for X1 but still it is doing good job at keeping the thing cool. And for sure quieter then 85mm on the ps4

15. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    If it over heats like the 360 most will because people decide to stack on top of it, or put it in a closed area. Heck I have 2 360's 1 original, 1 slim and never had an overheating issue or rrod. People liked to place the 360 on shag rug, or a place in an area that's a box that gets no air. Heating issues for the most part IMO are a condition setup by users who don't know how to properly use there equipment.

anyways, my X1 running nice and cool... of course its in an area that can breath.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Went through 4 original (non HDMI) 360 3 RROD one optical drive always on a hard flat surface laying on side and in the open (it sat on my dresser). So no it was not always user error there really was a huge flaw in the original 360.

17. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    I remember some of the early 360's getting the RROD because when assembled no one took off the little plastic film off the heatsink before attaching it (placed their during shipping/whatever to protect the HS).

18. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    You have it backwards... rather MS does. Unlike most cooling setups. The fan in the X1 SUCKS air through the cooler.

So it takes air from inside the case (the side vents are intake and the top is exhaust) passes through the cooler THEN the fan last... then out the top... that's why there is a big cowling for the fan: to make sure the air isn't short-circuited and all of it exists the case.

19. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Agreed... I should of said in general. I have seen so many mistreated it was just unreal. And of course those numbers get added to the pile so legit issues get blown out of proportion.

20. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.