Monitor and maybe G-sync for Xmas?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JJayzX, Nov 22, 2013.

1. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Having a tough time figuring out what I want for xmas, for the first time I'm kinda stumped. I've shot down a lot of other ideas with the excuse I'll probably rarely use it after the first week type of thing. So I thought a monitor as I'm still on 60hz and it kills me really. I like the screen I have (dell 2440L) for it color, clarity and contrast. It fails in over-driven ips style though, so that sticks out to me, like the shadows always trailing my mouse. So I was thinking maybe of looking into asking for an ASUS VG248QE and G-sync when ever possible. Do you guys think it would be a good choice to free myself from stutter and shadows that haunt my eyes.

TL;DR - Thinking of asking for an ASUS VG248QE and g-sync when possible and want your guy's opinions for the sake of my eye sight.

2. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I really like the idea of g-sync and am planning to try it out... reviews may alter my opinion of the technology though.

If it works as advertized, I'm sold.

3. Violentum

Violentum Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX760 OC
    If I had the extra cash I would too in a heart beat!

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I would wait if I were you guys. I already have a VG248QE, and as soon as the module is out I'll grab it, check it out, and write a review on it.

5. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    I was wondering about should I get that monitor period and then maybe g-sync depending how it goes.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Makes more sense to wait for the updated G-Sync ready monitors when they appear in January or February. Then you don't have to waste time installing the module yourself.

7. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I also have the VG248QE, so maybe I will buy one but it depends...

I usually disable vsync. So with gsync, whats gonna happen to a game I get ~180fps? Will it cap my fps to my refresh rate? I am guessing a game where I get ~90fps, its gonna change the refresh rate to match my fps. Also, I shouldnt see lag like I would with vsync on, right?

I cant wait to see if it works really well.

The monitor itself is really good, no ghosting, almost no input lag. I definitely recommend it. Its a TN panel though, colors arent not perfect...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  8. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    "NVIDIA demonstrated the technology on 144Hz ASUS panels, which obviously caps the max GPU present rate at 144 fps although that's not a limit of G-Sync."

Source (Paragraph 3):
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7436/nvidias-gsync-attempting-to-revolutionize-gaming-via-smoothness

---

The G-sync DIY kit sells for $175. This price can be found on NVIDIA's Taiwan G-sync FAQ session and the media coverage below.

Source:

http://www.techspot.com/news/54392-...mitations-with-g-sync-monitor-technology.html

To me, this price is too high ~ GTX 650 TI Boost?! $100 is fairer.

Sadly, NVIDIA has never been kind on early adopters. I hope AMD Mantle version Battlefield 4 is a blast and then NVIDIA may cut price.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  9. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I like the idea of getting the results from g0sync, but I hate the idea of buying into that ASUS/Nvidia sucker's deal.

Besides, no 16:10 and 24" is too small.

10. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    For some reason I thought $75 and not $175, damn that's crazy. I heard the monitor was gonna be like $400 with g-sync and thought oh I could get monitor now for like $266 and g-sync later for $75. I hate that its a TN panel but the performance is what's getting me, but now I'm confused of what I want. Might be the first ever I don't ask for anything specific. Maybe I can do something my wife wouldn't like and have 2 screens, this one for everything and the Asus for gaming, lol.

11. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Hope G-sync will work on my Asus Vg27 144hz screen?

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This is what I'm waiting for....user reviews. I'd like to see a review from someone using a mid-range card though.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I would not buy a TN panel. Ever again.

14. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
  15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  17. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    $3500 for a monitor and I'd never see my kids again.

18. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    ^ so true :leave:

After 6 years with my LG @ 1680x1050, I'm do for an upgrade, $400 isn't so bad.