Trigger finger is getting overused - work and gaming abuse!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by DSparil, Nov 19, 2013.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Hey Guru's, I thought this would be a great place to ask for advice or hear from others who are having/had the same experience. For my profession, I have to left click a LOT. Combine that with nearly two decades of gaming, and I am starting to develop a soreness in my right index finger. It seems to span from the main knuckle down into the phalanges first row. It is localized to only that finger. For work I have switched to using my middle finger, so I am able to give it a rest and flip off the man at the same time for jacking up my hand ;)

Any recommendations to remedy this? Similar experiences? It really just seems a result of overuse, but I don't want it to become something more serious.

2. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Try and find some RSI prevention software while you're working that'll alert you to take a short break every so often

Maybe switch MOUSE1 and MOUSE2 and try and get used to right click changing to left click? Gel pad/mousemat?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Learn how to use a mouse with your other hand.

4. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    use your other hand

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I've been gaming and clicking with the same right hand and fingers for around 20 years and the only thing that causes me any grief is my left elbow where I lean on the desk

The nerves in the elbow skin are dead, and skin is thick

But my mouse arm, hand and fingers are fine

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    that's^ easier said than done...for me anyway...

8. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
  9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, I would be trying to use my index finger to click still, so would need to swap buttons functions around

Actually gives you a pretty good representation of when you watch someone who is not very computer savvy try to use a mouse when you try to use your other hand, with the mouse on the other side of the keyboard

10. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    i had similar experience, i had to use my middle finger or my other hand, i did it for at least a week and it somehow got rested.

Its quite intermittent, happens when im both busy gaming and at work, there were times that i had to use the gamepad to navigate windows lel

11. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Thanks for all of the ideas so far. I have been using an Imax Ergo-beads wrist rest for a few years now and no that's not my mouse lol. I have been consciously trying to keep my mouse hand level but am still just starting to experience these problems.

[​IMG]

Yipes. Easier said than done indeed. I don't think im ambidextrous enough for this feat.

I like the switching Mouse1 to Mouse2 idea, and it would just introduce a learning curve to my work. I think it would slow down my production for a bit but could relive some stress from my trigger finger.

12. Andrés

Andrés Guest

13. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ Dammit, I had a feeling it may be related to carpul tunnel syndrome and with the research I did last night, I think that may be what I'm developing. I'm going to have to up the ante to delay or counteract this amap! I noticed with my wrist rest at work, my wrist wasn't level but more on an uphill slant. I am trying to work without it not and just use it at home.

14. dfwny

dfwny Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 SSC Ed. 1GB
    I've been using this vertical mouse at work for a more natural hand position. Seems to have helped some, once I got used to it and stopped tipping it over when reaching for the mouse. It's a Perixx Perimice 513, $9.99 at Newegg. Mouse wheel was squirrely for first few weeks, then it settled in.

[​IMG]

15. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    Sounds like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, My girlfriend have this problem.

Pain and needles in thumb, index and middle finger. Numb feeling. She's been struggling with it for over a year now. Worst part of it is that it may or may not be cured. Even surgery does not guarantee that it will go away.

Go see a doctor, it may get worse.

16. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    any trigger discomfort I find is relieved when firing hundreds of rnds via a semi auto rifle......don't believe try :)

17. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    This exact thing is part of what got me in this mess in the first place lol. The only difference is i used more plasma guns, link guns, flak cannons, rocket launchers and chain link guns ;)

All signs are pointing to CTS alright. I was very uninformed about this until now, and it sounds like no picnic. I am drastically changing up my mousing and work habits. Switching from claw to palm grip with my MX-518 and ditching the wrist rest are already helping a lot.

A good friend of mine got CTS and it was so debilitating for him, he ditched the mouse altogether and uses only a Wacom tab. I don't want to go that route!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013