Display Driver Uninstaller Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Wagnard, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonzo68

Gonzo68 Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7790
    Just download version 9.4 and it won't start at all.

Running Win 7 x64 i can see Display Driver Uninstaller.exe running in the process list but nothing else and my cursor did change to wait one from where i did click to start it.

No error message on screen and no logs since it won't start.

No way to kill process so restart needed ...

2. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    If you were not in safe mode, there is supposed to be a messagebox that you have to click ok.

Try it again in safemode.

If it still doesnt work, there could be a problem with your .Net (DDU relies on it)

3. Gonzo68

Gonzo68 Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7790
    I did try again in safemode and it did work and got the messagebox concerning change of settings to prevent windows update prior to get DDU screen.

But in normalmode i did not got any messagebox telling me i need to run it in safemode. It just hang there with cursor change and process running.

4. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Strange.
    Sadly I dont have access to a windows 7 machine as im currently at work.

Can someone else confirm if it work or not for windows 7 in normal mode?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

5. 7stars

7stars Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC
    Wagnard, i have to really thank you for your efforts with this great app :)
    But here i would to know your opinion:
    first of all, why AMD at the end of last year decided to delete the auto-update feature from the Catalyst? (although it was just a notification for new available drivers and not a real SW routine...) they said for security reason. I don't see a security reason if I use one or more detached dedicated servers or a CDN which only does that and no other functions...

then, why in 2013 we still don't have a real auto-update app? since 20 years ago we have to do manually this boring "go to download page-download-(safe mode?)-uninstall-reboot-reinstall-reboot..."
    one or more servers could manage that easily now for clients...with timing, auto-resume etc... even in a single day or less for all the customers, to make it always faster and easier.
    Why AMD or Nvidia don't take this in consideration? Isn't time to go further with programming? ...IF you have to release every time for every single game optimizations and crossfire profiles...and 9-10 beta versions in so little time range? Isn't a mess for users? Should we all complain to manufacturers and this could change something? thanks

6. Shady757

Shady757 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970/GSYNC

Well, honestly, I don't like auto-update, especially hate it for drivers. I personally think it's very annoying, and would rather manually update.

7. Shady757

Shady757 Guest

GPU:

I'm really sorry for this bud, but I must say, we DO check and test DDU before releases, we just don't have all the requirements to test other specifics, like in my case, I'm on Windows 8.0, not 8.1. And, I don't have an AMD card, so other AMD specific things, can't be tested by me.

We're sorry, and luckily Wagnard was very quick to fix this.

And, thank you, you've actually helped fix a huuuge bug, very important.

Also, did you happen to take full ownership of your C:\ or Program Files?

Even if that was why it happened, this is a fault on the coding.

8. weah

weah Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 Toxic @1Ghz
    In normal mode it doesn't hang to me in Windows 7 after messagebox.

9. 7stars

7stars Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC
    so, are you saying that continuously try to keep you informed on new drivers release AND manually "go to download page-download-(safe mode?)-uninstall-reboot-reinstall-reboot..." is less annoying? :eek: weird.
    On the other hand you would not be obliged to "auto-update" but a good coder let you choose to [autoupdate|manually|don't update at all] :)

10. Gonzo68

Gonzo68 Guest

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 7790
    It did hang for me twice but i just retry it and everything works correctly.

11. weah

weah Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 Toxic @1Ghz
    So you solved it definitively? Good for you.
    No hangs here.

12. Molle Maar

Molle Maar Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB
    I was't aware other methods must not be discussed. I feel like most users prefer the manual removal action that's why it appeared to be relevant to me? When I clean the registry by hand and check the named folders I'm most sure about maintaining a healthy OS and a clean driver install.

Enough about that. If this program is as good as you guys say it is you probably have just recruited a new user :)

And ehm..it's not very polite to make fun of my sympathy to the pc gaming industry (by repeating my words). Without the pc gamers it's non excisting so I like 'em all for keeping the best gaming-platform alive.

13. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    wut....

14. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    @wagnard

today i tested your tool. of course i did it safe mode (first i removed drivers via "programs and features" option in control panel) and since i also have driver fusion installed on my pc, i just wanted to check will it find something after your tool.

on my surprise, driver fusion found bunch of leftover files that were not removed by DDU.

15. weah

weah Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5850 Toxic @1Ghz
    Can you provide a list of them?

16. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    There is other things that need to be fixed. I just did a quick fix for this issue but I will rewrite that little part as there could be other issues and I don't want to put 1 million conditions.

17. Shady757

Shady757 Guest

GPU:

Well, I don't find it that hard. At least not for me, I use an Nvidia card, (as you can see <----) and I'm not sure if AMD drivers are put up on guru3d as fast as they are for Nvidia, I check guru everyday, and sometimes every few hours in a day, and I almost always download the drivers from here.

18. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    i deleted them with driver fusion.

but the list was quite long and it had registry entries and some leftover files also.

19. 7stars

7stars Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC
    ok, you don't find it that hard and i find it really annoying and bad level programming and obsolete in 2013. Points of view ;-) thanks for your opinion, is appreciated
    p.s. : a manufacturer today should consider that many (but really many) users, even if on PC and buying good graphic cards, are not so experts about such things and if they want to keep many users very satisfied...they should be aware of this IMHO it's not only about marketing but also efficient technical support (If you write to them, never get a reply...NEVER)

20. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I'll check driver fusion later. . I have an nvidia card so it's harder to test with AMD.

A list of remaining stuff will help for sure.

Could be because you uninstalled the driver before but I doubt it.

A screen shot of the remaining file would be quite useful if you don't mind re-installing drivers

Also we must not forget that DDU is still in development.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.