GeForce GTX 780 Ti review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That's my problem as well I think if I did not drink the money I would save over the year I could buy 2 780Ti's and matching water blocks.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i might tighten the belt as it were and perhaps upgrade in the next few weeks (sell a kidney or win on the horses) . i do get the impression nvidia is still overcharging..but then if I get a gpu that lasts as long as my 580 i'll be happy.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I don't think GPU's last that long this days, especially when people are talking about maxwell already.

4. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Well i think they do but not in "newness". I mean the 7970/680 have been out for almost 2 years and really with the exception of crysis 3 and Metro they're still great cards. At the clocks i'm running on my 7970 there isn't much i can't max at 60fps, even though i'm on a 120hz monitor (moving to 780s/290s when get the chance)

My 470 @ 700/1750 is still kicking as well, it's approaching what four years in a couple of months?

I think with AMD securing consoles we as PC gamers should see less need for huge upgrades every two to three years. Considering ports should be eliminated. Should is the key word though.

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i just read the review, the 780 TI is an excellent card indeed.

but still i feel good that i purchased the gtx690 back then, its faster than the 780ti monster by a few fps in a various games (eg. 7fps in crysis 3) although nothing a little oc wouldn't achieve, it was all about futureproofing so i don't have to spend money on a new card just yet. :eyebrows:

on the other hand while the gtx690 is a plain fantastic card, i have to say that i always preferred single-gpu cards, always been so, and if i didn't own the gtx690 i would've purchased the 780TI faster than the speed of light, the price is good, a no brainer as the review said.

aye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Another awesome review Hilbert:), whats next on the list?

Im a fanboi of the 580, so naturally im going to suggest to upgrade to sli. I can post some benches of certain games or even the same as Hilbert has used as away for you to see if it be worth it. Once i get my net back on that is.

Though, i do recommend waiting to see what maxwell is like.

If i were going to choose now, the 290x water cooled would be my pick.

7. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Great performance but wow that's alot of money...

Said the guy that once bought 2x 470s for the same price... :banana:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah you dont need to buy anything yet if you have a 690, you will get less performance and lose more money, pointless. Still king of the hill after 19 months, quite a legendary gpu just like the 295 before it.

9. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I will give the 780 Jetstream another chance and I PRAY that I get another 74-75% ASIC or higher and hopefully be a good clocker as my last one.

10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    The 690 (like the 295 before it) is not a single GPU. It is not 'standing up' to 780/780Ti/Titan SLI which would be proper comparisons in that context.

Then there is the VRAM limitation which has been discussed before.

Nice card, no doubt, but too many people make these apples to oranges comparisons and even though it is technically one card, it is 2 GPUs which constitutes SLI, thus it must be compared to other SLI configurations.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I am aware of the 295's as i had them in SLI with Dual PCB and Single PCB when they were in there prime and cost £500 each.

Dont matter to me its still a single slot physical and its still expensive. You talk about SLI, even if i SLI 690's it still beats them in performance. I know its quads but its still 2 physical cards and it still costs as much. All people care about is performance and the days of stuttering with dual gpus are gone because of Hardware based frame metering. Only weakness to the 690 is 2GB ram but this only really applies to enthusiasts who use custom AA flags otherwise its fine for 90% of games atm. For a card that came out 19 months ago its still king of the hill for performance even if it is a dual card.

12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC

Ugh, you just don't get it at all.

2 690s is 4 GPUs, so a fair comparison would be 4 780s for example, and then there is the VRAM again which is a limiting factor.

And, as you correctly said, people in this segment care about performance, not price, so the 690 isn't even an option in that sense as no one is buying a 2GB (per GPU) card at this point with much faster options available and with more VRAM.

Like I said, it's a nice card, but in the post I was replying to you described it as a 'legendary GPU' (singular) which it is not.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ok we will agree to disagree. Your right and im wrong lets just leave it at that as i basically cba conversing with you.

14. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I agree too on the Legendary GPU for the 690. Even now at 25x16 is still unbeatable.

And I too consider it one card since its, well, one card in the end.

I agree also that comparing it with a single gpu card is not the best practice but its not that unfair in the end gaming wise. In benchmarks is indeed unfair tbh and should be taken into comparison just to see how powerful a single gpu card is and if they can match it.

It requires the same cables and one PCI-E slot as the rest single GPU's. Yes we all know that is two gpu dies on one pcb. Just saying.

And a 2GB is just fine for 19x10 and even 25x16 until Maxwell, assuming you don't go over 2xAA/SMAA etc.

Don't really wanna argue with anyone. Just stating my opinion in this since people see things differently besides the obvious facts. E.g 690 dual gpu card but many people consider it just as one. :thumbup:

15. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC

What some people 'consider it as' is of little value in the realm of fact.

It is essentially 680 SLI on one PCB.

2GB is not universally enough for 1600P in my experience (although you can probably scrape by).

I don't want to argue either, but comparing 2 GPUs to 1 GPU is never going to be an 'apples to apples' comparison, regardless of whether the GPUs in question inhabit one PCB or not.

I'll leave it there ;)

16. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Well then speaking of facts, the GTX 690 is a dual gpu SINGLE card. Take note of the word in bold. So people that consider it a single card are indeed correct since its fact.

Its physically a single card. Dual gpu one but a single card in the end.

I really don't understand why people fail to understand that.

One single card:

[​IMG]

Two single cards:

[​IMG]

Google search on the fact that is a single card. It seems many reviewers and known websites "consider" it a single card too.

I guess their opinions are of little value and out of the realm of fact too.

nvidia GTX 690 "single card"

Well, seeing from the reviews is enough until Maxwell as I said. Until then imo. And maybe possibly for another year.

Even BF4@Ultra with 2xMSAA needs 1700-1800MB. I wont even note the 4xMSAA. Totally unnecessary imo.

Of course its not. And many many others and I agree on that. I said it on my previous post, 3rd paragraph. ;)

Ninja edit: Added some stuff. :p

17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I don't fail to understand it at all.

The single part of it is the PCB, fan etc which really have nothing to do with how it performs.

It's an easy way for people to justify comparing 2 GPUs to 1 GPU even though the actual components that count (the GPUs) are doubled on a dual GPU card.

That is SLI, the same way 2 x 680s are SLI and the same way that 2 x 780s are SLI.

As far as the memory usage goes, yes you can scrape by if you lower the AA but I don't choose to do that and I can actually see a difference so if you want to game with everything maxed, 2GB is not universally enough for 1600P, as I previously stated.

At any rate, I have no wish to take this thread off topic, I think we both understand each other at this point.

Ninja edit here as well - In response to your additions about the 690 being a single card, I never said it was not a single card, my argument is that it is not a single GPU.

18. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Done. :thumbup:

19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Nice :approval:

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    gtx690/2xgtx680 although limited by the 2GB vram are still very viable performance options. I game at 1440p, and I can max out any game, only AA can be tricky with some games that hit vram limit, but even then I can still squeeze a 2x msaa (BF4 for example) and enjoy the eye candy. And to be honest, even if I had more than 2GB vram I don't think the cards would be up to deliver the gpu horsepower to satisfy the high vram consuming games.

But a card like 780Ti with all that raw horsepower is a different story. To get only 3GB vram, since it could easily play ultra high resolutions with AA, especially when 2 way SLI(or even 3 :p)... is well, a bit of a shame.

Hopefully when Maxwell comes out, the high end cards will have at least 4GB vram.