New driver 331.70 beta?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by jimmmm, Nov 6, 2013.

1. bjoswald

bjoswald Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD 630
    Maybe we will see a new feature (hence the NDA)?

2. swecarl

swecarl Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780ti Sli
    One would think that a driver/hardware that goes out for review would be abit better not worse then "normal drivers".

Amd got accused for sending out "golden samples" of the Radeon R9 290X card, so wouldnt it be mighty dumb for Nvidia to send crappy drivers along with their new 780ti ? :)

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Every driver has been buggy over the last 6 months. What makes this new one any different? I bet you when its released its just as bad. All the same broken features for games will exist especially as a new card has just been released.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm a bit suspicious about why the v331.70 driver, used by reviewes to test this new GTX 780 Ti graphics card, is not available for everyone to use now. NVIDIA have always released a standalone driver that only works on their new cards and no others (with modding) so my assumption was that this is what the v331.70 drivers were: a GTX 780 Ti-only driver. I also presumed that would be released alongside the card when it went on sale, which was yesterday.

However, it is still not available, not even from NVIDIA's website, so it makes me wonder if these have some sort of optimizations (cheat if you like) to make their cards look better in reviews than the cheaper AMD R9 290X. Hey, you can't blame me for being sceptical when the NDA is still in place AFTER the card has gone on sale! I'd like to know why there's still an NDA on these drivers.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

5. ßÍöHÅZÅRD§pëRM

ßÍöHÅZÅRD§pëRM Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA-680 FTW+
  6. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Guest

Im with you on this one.. but it is still possible there were other non-cheating problems with the drivers that meant they werent worth leaking.... nahhh ;) I still think there's something fishy here.

Nvidia had to work pretty hard to get the 780 Ti to beat the 290X, especially at higher res. (which it sometimes does but often doesnt beat it.)
    If the current 331.65 is good enough with a repackaged inf on release day, surely thats the driver that should have been tested with it.

In any case I love the competition, it's great for consumers and product development. Nvidia were lazy with 7 series because they didnt need to push hard to beat AMD, and they over charged for 2 year old tech which is why I wont buy one. But AMD have come out of the corner swinging and have until almost the middle of the year next till Nvidia will release 8 series and will leap frog them again.

I went from team green for many years to red for the 5870 series back to green for 580 series and I buy GPU's well after release to try and get the best incremental driver/model tweaks so they will last a couple years. Next 2 years will be very interesting for GPU tech.

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Not for everybody they haven't. I've no issues with any of them.

The point is that the driver may only be suited for review use.

There are reasons for things.

8. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Just a matter of time folks. :)

9. Claude350

Claude350 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 1060 GTX SSC
    I had to disable SLI for the game to stop all the flickering.

10. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    I could never figure out why people pay for something, that may or may not happen in the future.

11. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Very good point!

But, I don't think it was "cheating"; I think the driver includes/enables the new "power balancing" features.

I can only wish that's not a hardware feature specific to the GTX 780 Ti, and that later this month, nVIDIA will be bringing the same features down to GTX 780 - and TITAN - via driver update.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Not always. Sometimes they have released a public driver with only a single(or a couple in at least one case I know of) GPU model(s) supported. Other times they have released a unified driver. What is unusual is using the same driver rev number. Could be just to keep it WHQL. I doubt there is anything nefarious going on.

13. jogogold

jogogold Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Waiting for those too.

14. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    indeed I'm not a gambler either. sometimes there's too many drivers around.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

You mean like car or health insurance? Ha ha....:)

16. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    If you are going to nitpick other peoples comments do it properly. As a consumer almost everything you get you pay for first.
    I´ll make sure to dumb down my comments for you in the future.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I think that power balance , where the card will dynamically change power limits from PCI-E, PCI 8pin external plugs is part hardware .

We will see when next drivers come out .

Also only the titan, 780 and 780ti probably draw enough power for this feature to be needed , lesser cards don't stress as much unless way over voltaged .

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  18. Visuallyvisible

Visuallyvisible Active Member

GPU:
    Lol. Superiority complex yet lacking the ability to catch on to a lighthearted joke;) Next time he should dumb it down for you, or perhaps a laugh track for you to understand the difference between a serious & not serious comment.

Quite ironic given the avatar.....Some people....Yikes

19. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Thanks sickman fraud dont quit your dayjob.

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Nitpick? It was a joke. Take a Midol.