8GB RAM with NO PAGEFILE CLUB or TOPIC (lol)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mr.Bigtime, Apr 20, 2009.

1. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Disabling paging file is a fair idea.just make sure you also disable paging executive in regedit.
    Also if you have 1 MSI per core you might want to be at minimum 8 GB .

2. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    the advent of 6GB minimum requirements/8GB recommended for upcoming (and future ps4/xbox1 based)games O:

3. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb
    If your SC blacklist stutters check affinity in task manager. Sometimes for some ppl blacklist exe locks on half of cores, this made it stutter on my pc. I have to change it everytime I start the game

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If any of you have not figured this out by page 39, it's a good idea to leave the pagefile not totally off, I have it set to the recommended minimal of 16mb, I don't have any problems in the games some other people do.

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I have mine at 1500 MB since Warhammer 40.000 demands that, even if it never gets to use it.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    on SSD or normal HDD?

7. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    I am a non page file user . love it ! but game tend to pop an error reporting thing at end of session and while gaming game act like it caught a bad fit of tourista .game slow to about 8 fps (the secret world) the problem ? it isn't in 64 bit so I hit the 4 gb file limit even tho I got 8 GB of ram and 3 GB of gddr5 vram . I thing if I could have sound in another 4 GB chunck I would never get the ea/funcom report page . maybe they all move the sound to a separate 4 GB chunck .also hard drive don't have much to say in the Mather .it almost doesn't run .if I knew how to only use the 64 mb cache I suspect everything would be fine . window tend to be very redundant .and some old setting were created to fix things that were fixed in a different way .

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  8. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i highly recommend use 12Gb or higher RAM to disable pagefile for today gaming needs. 16 GB is best and relax.

9. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    LOL, or more! :nerd:

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I been running 6gb ram and no pagefile for years. never an issue unless I need to see crash report, only then do i added pagefile. To each his own.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Disabling pagefile in control panel does this for you, either way if won't run into any problems anyway. Because if you set no pagefile the OS will not try and put anything in pagefile as there is none so those files will stay in physical memory. This may have been needed with older OS's such as XP.

12. gammelhat

gammelhat Active Member

It is not quite the same. Unmodified pages of memory can just be removed from memory. They don't need to be written to the page file. When the pages are needed again, they will just be loaded from their original file.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    ram god>! :d

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    DisablePagingExec only forces drivers and system code to remain in physical memory, it doesn't affect how data is loaded or unloaded......

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  15. gammelhat

gammelhat Active Member

Who is talking about unloading?

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You were;

17. gammelhat

gammelhat Active Member

That is not at all the same as "unloading" something.

Anyway, I am not going into any kind of discussion with you. We all know that is impossible.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah, you can debate the difference between 'unloading' and 'unmodified' all you want, but if there is no PF, and to be sure you can unhide system files and check your drives yourself, windows simply can't use it.
    Just as if you run out of ram, more PF gets used- if you run out of PF (aka, nonexistent or very small) more RAM gets used. The data has to go somewhere.

20. gammelhat

gammelhat Active Member

Cyberdyne, the act of "paging" is not soley about the page file. Every memory mapped file is loaded into physical memory this way. That includes system files (kernel stuff).

If the memory manager finds that it needs to use the physical memory occupied by some idle system file to something else, it can just do that. It doesn't need to copy that memory to the page file. That would be stupid. The data is located already on the harddrive. This can happen with and without a page file present.

The act of "unloading" something means to unload/erase it from the virtual address space. That has nothing to do with this. This is about the physical address space.